Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Princessbex22

Profractional Laser

Ok, I got the profractional laser done on my whole face over the weekend because of the scars I have from acne that I've had now for 10 years. i'm getting married this June, so I decided I needed to invest in something serious, and even though my fiance says that he can't even tell and that he thinks im beautiful blah blah blah. It's not about him. It's about me and the fact that I have struggled with this for a long time and I'm 24 years old and I'm finished with it!

So, before getting this done, I did a lot of research on it and wanted to hear people's stories when they got it done. I was nervous about this, because, well, it's my face! But I knew it would be fine. I was more nervous that I would look like a freak afterward, but actually, it really wasn't that bad. My face was pretty red right after, but after a few hours, you could barely tell. I went and babysat that night with no make up on or anything and no one looked at me funny or anything. The redness was completely gone by the next day and I went about my business without being paranoid.

So I guess the real test will be in the next few weeks to see what kind of an affect it has on the scars. I can see a little bit of a difference, but that might be my imagination. So I will post again to let who ever is thinking about doing this what kind of progress I'm having.

The doctor told me that if I want to get it done again that I needed to wait a month. So i'm thinking by then that hopefully I will see some sort of improvement.

Hey - I'm in the same boat as you. My fiance says the same thing - you're beautiful, blah, blah, blah, and doesn't understand the pain scars cause. I too am getting married - in a year or so, but would love to get your updates on this. My derm recommended it for me too. She said for four treatments it would be $3900 (holy smokes). Is that how much yours cost? Just keep us updated on how it all turns out.

What is your complexion like? What type of scarring do you have?

GOOD LUCK!!

HI. I am a nurse in Texas. We have a profractional laser in our plastic surgery office. I had a micro laser done first with the profractional on top. I have some acne scars and brown spots. I am ready to have another profractional done again. To me, the discomfort is minimal and I only had some topical lidocaine before. No injections, valium etc. I was determined though. It has been a few months and my skin looks better every month. It is tight and my pores are minimized. I was not sure at first, but with time I am getting comments from everyone. Everything looks better. Since this has little down time, it is best to have several treatments if you have scars. The Fraxel, which is now older technology, is similar with longer recovery. It does not pull the dead tissue out of the laser chanels (holes) like the profractional does, (I was told). I think this is why the recovery is longer. I now plan to tighten the area under my chin with the profracional. The tightening is amazing. We are much cheaper in our area, but I would recommend the profracional if it is availible in your area. I have done just about everything except Co2, which I will never do. Try it.

Ok, so this saturday will be one week since I got the profractional laser treatment done (today is thursday). So far this week my face has just been dry, but not anything out of the ordinary! I was able to put my makeup on the day after I had the procedure and throughout this week everything looks normal. I am starting to notic a little bit of fading on my face. Even with make up on, usually after some of it would wear off I could see the scars before and it was SUPER frustrating. But now, I honestly can see a difference. I know it's suppose to take a couple of weeks for the collagen to do its thing, but seriously, even before it's been a week I can see a difference and my face looks much smoother. So far, I'm pretty happy about it. :-)

I would say that my acne was moderate to severe and I don't so much struggle with breakouts now, it's more just the scarring that I've been wanting to work on. I know compared to some, my skin isn't bad at all, but that's the thing, it's my skin. I want to be comfortable in it.

I don't know what kind of scars I have. All I know is that they are like little indentations on my cheeks and that they are kind of purpleish. Basically, they are not pretty.

I will keep updating on how my face is doing if anyone is interested!!

(Oh yeah, someone had asked me about the cost for the profractional laser. Well, the doctor that I saw says that normally it costs about $1000 per treatment, but he only charged me $400. The nurse that sat with me couldn't believe that he said that was what he was going to charge, but he did. He said it was my wedding present. haha Anyway, from what I have heard, that's definitely the cheapest. I think he could see the pain that this had caused me for so long and took pity. But who knows, he probably knew that I wouldn't be able to do it if it were $1000.

Princessbex22, vainillabean and mendi...I read your forum about the profactional. I want to know how you are looking after 4 months. I did the dermoroller and then the fraxel x 2.

The fraxel made my pores look much better for the next two weeks, but then I think that my face is looking almost the same way it was before I started this whole nonsense. I hear that the profactional is much better, but this is what we hear every time something new is out there in the market. Is there really a lot of improvement with profactional, and for how long does the better appearance last????..and cost, what about cost ????

Hi!

I've done two profractionals the second being 4days ago.

The cost at where I'm having it done at a plastic surgeons office in an upperscale area is 3tx for 1,300

plus tax or single tx are $500 plus tax.

My first tx. was really deep (which I begged for, because the surgeon at that office did a deep erbium on my old scars,large pores and rough texture....anyways I was somewhat disapointed with the results...scars still noticeable, skin a little more smoother, pores seem the same)

anyways she turned it up to 400 and I think it was at 20% the more percentage the more area is covered even though it was done on my whole face. ( I took two advils prior and had numbing cream...it was a little painful)

I was extremely red and bleeding!!! I loved that....for real....to me the more down time the more it'll be worth it.

Later on (1st night) I was putting on the goop that they gave me and my face really starting dripping bloodl! No fear I knew that it was from taking too much cod liver oil....cod liver oil thins the blood.

(I'll just have to remember to stop using it and vit. e five days prior to my next tx.)

Anyways, I was red for almost a wk. about the third day my skin started to peel and did so until about the seventh day.

I noticed a difference in my pore size and I had a new scar on my face prior to tx. and it seemed much smaller, but the old ones well....i don't think so.

As far as what I've read online about profractional is shallow tx. is used for texture on the skin (and pore size?) and deeper tx. is for acne scars.

On my last tx. I think she said that she wasn't going to go as deep and wanted to work on the texture of my skin around my mouth.

I'm still red and it's day 4.

I think I'm going to ask her to stick with the deeper ones for now.

My husband jumped when he saw me after my first tx. as did my sister and her husband.....I really looked like someone did a number on me....and I drove through downtown like that!!! (forgot my scarf) It was pretty scary and I really did scare my husband who had to ask me if it was really necessary for me to do these tx. Ha haahah!!

I'm just doing them to keep myself busy until I do a CO2 tx. in January, because I'm still a little skeptical about the results of this, but I guess we'll see.

Actuallly I went for consult with another plastic surgeon and he actually suggested that I do a heavy CO2 on my entire face and then follow it up with 5 fractional tx., He feels the dif. lasers works on different parts /depths of the skin.

I didn't think my skin was that bad...I don't have any major inferior complex, in fact I feel good about myself and at times think that I'm really pretty and have great confidence.

Maybe it's because I don't look in the mirror 24/7? Hahaah!!

Anyways, I'm very interested in hearing everyone's experience with the profractional and if there are any results.

P.s.

the dr. that was charging $1,000/tx, is absolute ludricous, that's crazy and a major mark up!

I'd call around and see what the average price is.

Which is what I did around here.

Hi Creamsoda:

Even 1000.00 for a profractional seems cheap..They are charging much more here in the midwest.

After having done very deep dermoroller and Fraxel x 2, now the DR. says profractional is the answer to big pores, small scars and strawberry texture. After the first week of dermoroller or fraxel, the face looks beautiful and smooth, like there are no pores or scars...then, after 2 weeks, it starts going back to the way it was before the treatments. I noticed, however, that after three months, there was some subtle improvement day by day, but like I said, subtle....Have you waited more than three months after your profractionals..what was the interval between one and the other...are your scars better, or just the pores.

Thanks for telling your experiences!!!!

Hi Creamsoda:

Even 1000.00 for a profractional seems cheap..They are charging much more here in the midwest.

After having done very deep dermoroller and Fraxel x 2, now the DR. says profractional is the answer to big pores, small scars and strawberry texture. After the first week of dermoroller or fraxel, the face looks beautiful and smooth, like there are no pores or scars...then, after 2 weeks, it starts going back to the way it was before the treatments. I noticed, however, that after three months, there was some subtle improvement day by day, but like I said, subtle....Have you waited more than three months after your profractionals..what was the interval between one and the other...are your scars better, or just the pores.

I've only done two so far and spaced almost a month a part (a couple days short of a full 4wks.)

ahh...my results hmmm...one new scar seems smaller, pores maybe? smoother maybe?

I had a deep erbium done almost 4 1/2 mths. ago and saw vague improvement (wasn't worth my time or money) so I'm leary about expecting any major results with this tx. But who knows I'm willing to try until I do a deep co2.

What slight results I am seeing may also be from my erbium, because sometimes that can take up to 6mths to see results.

Maybe it's a little too soon to see results fromt the profractional.

I don't knowl.

I'm thinking of doing some major Vit.C interveniouslly along with my tx. because vit. c is good for building collagen, so I think that combining them together might be the answer for me.

I'm really deficient in that and taking supplements aren't doing it for me. (maybe why I'm not seeing much results, because it's all about building up or making new collagen with these tx. right?

That's crazy how much the profractional tx. are going for out there....wow!

At that price I'd really like to see results!

(mines in Cdn. dollars)

What's a dermaroller? Does it do anything?

Hi Creamsoda:

I've only done two so far and spaced almost a month a part (a couple days short of a full 4wks.)

ahh...my results hmmm...one new scar seems smaller, pores maybe? smoother maybe?

I had a deep erbium done almost 4 1/2 mths. ago and saw vague improvement (wasn't worth my time or money) so I'm leary about expecting any major results with this tx. But who knows I'm willing to try until I do a deep co2.

What slight results I am seeing may also be from my erbium, because sometimes that can take up to 6mths to see results.

I don't knowl.

I'm thinking of doing some major Vit.C interveniouslly along with my tx. because vit. c is good for building collagen, so I think that combining them together might be the answer for me.

I'm really deficient in that and taking supplements aren't doing it for me. (maybe why I'm not seeing much results, because it's all about building up or making new collagen with these tx. right?

(mines in Cdn. dollars)

Hi:

If you look on the internet collagen induction therapy and dermaroller, you will see that it is a roller with very small pins and needles that go through your skin. They have different sizes. You can see some videos of this in youtube...Of course, they tell you that for results, you have to wait 3-6 months, and they don't show any pictures or video 3-6 months out. The pictures and videos on the internet show only a very pinkish skin after the tretment....well....I came out of it like "Chucky's girlfriend :ninja: !!!!! It was kind of bloody....well...the first week I was very swollen, then the second week my skin looked like a 10 year old...then, of course, as the days went by, the pores and scars showed again, to the point where I thought I was worse than before the proceedure..

After 3 months I saw probably very subtle improvement, but also with some new subtle linear scars from the proceedure itself.

I would suggest for you to wait at least 3 months to see what these proceedures do to your skin.

What is erbium and deep CO2 ?? Intrvenous Vit C??? that sounds kind of scary!!

Hi Creamsoda:

I don't knowl.

(mines in Cdn. dollars)

Hi:

If you look on the internet collagen induction therapy and dermaroller, you will see that it is a roller with very small pins and needles that go through your skin. They have different sizes. You can see some videos of this in youtube...Of course, they tell you that for results, you have to wait 3-6 months, and they don't show any pictures or video 3-6 months out. The pictures and videos on the internet show only a very pinkish skin after the tretment....well....I came out of it like "Chucky's girlfriend :ninja: !!!!! It was kind of bloody....well...the first week I was very swollen, then the second week my skin looked like a 10 year old...then, of course, as the days went by, the pores and scars showed again, to the point where I thought I was worse than before the proceedure..

After 3 months I saw probably very subtle improvement, but also with some new subtle linear scars from the proceedure itself.

I would suggest for you to wait at least 3 months to see what these proceedures do to your skin.

What is erbium and deep CO2 ?? Intrvenous Vit C??? that sounds kind of scary!!

An erbium is a laser that burns off a layer of your skin. A person's skin looks really sunburnt and oozes for a few days and then skin is prink for up to a mth?

A co2 is like an erbium, but burns more skin off and is a better choice for acne scars (whereas I don't think an erbium is) co2 is also known as laser resurfacing....the skin can be pink for many months to follow (after the inital bright red) It's incredible for wrinkles.

Vit.c intravenous is just getting vit.c ingected into your body through an i.v. drip.

It takes about 3 hrs. for it all to "drip" into your body, it's suppose to be better then taking the actual vit.c. I think, because it's at a more potent dosage.

I use to have them done long ago, but switched Naturopath Dr.'s and never got around to it.

Hi, my name is Kim and Im new to this emailing stuff so I hope someone will be able to read this, any way I had one Profractional done in June the second in July 4 weeks apart, with in the last month Ive notice many new lines around my mouth and every two weeks they get worse and deeper, I cant believe it I paid $1200 for 3 treatments and am scared to have another one , it may get worse... the rest of my face looks good so I just dont under stand it. I dont lay out in the sun and been using sun screen. I use the best day cream and night cream and Use Mary Kay microdemo on my face as well to take off some old skin, I so depressed about this its actually consuming my life, Im 50 and dont even want to go out anywhere, Im looking at a micro laser peel before my last profractional treatment, So do I have to wait longer, to see results. I need a answer....HELP

I'm an older lady who has had moderate to severe acne all my life and tried every new drug, cleanser, makeup and procedures that were available... (and there just wasn't a heck of lot like there is today to combat acne).

When I turned thirty, I thought... yipee!! my acne will surely go away soon.... when I turned forty, I thought... okay, my skins bound to settle down. Well, the zits did, but the scaring started getting worse. I heard because of estrogen level change this does sometimes happen.

So here I am at fifty...and now I'm fighting scars!

I've often thought of the (older style) C02 lasers when they first came about, but frankly they frightened me. The risks were just too great.

In spring of this year, I had four Fraxel Re:store procedures. The cost was $800.00 each. They gave me an anti-anxiety pill, two Tylenol 3s and numbing cream. I never found the procedure painful in the least. However, the success of the treatments was minimal. The overall skin tone was better, my pores appeared smaller, and some of my scaring may have been reduced, but not much.Still, I wasn't totally disappointed. There was improvement of my skin.

I considered the Fraxel Re:pair, but there are no doctors in Alberta that provide this yet. But this certainly sounds promising for acne scaring.

I then started researching Sciton's Profractional Laser and had my first treatment three days ago. The cost was less than Fraxel. I paid $500.00 for my face. Before the procedure they applied the same numbing cream as I received with the Fraxel Re:store. I did not receive any meds. The practitioner wanted to go as deep as possible, and because I was able to handle the pain so well, she was able to.

The one thing that I immediately noticed different was that with the Profractional (especially if they go deep), you bleed. Quite a bit... during and for about 12 hours after the procedure.

It did hurt. But it was tolerable. The assistant constantly had cold air blowing across my face to cool it. Felt wonderful. She worked on my face for about 45 minutes.

Getting to my car after the procedure was the worst! I had to walk through a small mall. Found out later that they do have a back door to the parking lot. Darn.

On my drive home, I had to keep blotting the blood on my face. Got home and poor hubby and kids were terrified... I really did look frightening. However, they thought I was in great pain (so, yes I milked it). Got tea in bed, books to read, etc.) Actually it really wasn't hurting much at all. I applied this vaseline type gook they gave me, and kept that applied for 24 hours afterwards.

My face was quite swollen, very red and had what I call "tire" marks all over. You could actually see the laser paths, as every pore was now a dark dot (pixel). There were some areas that had large amounts of dried blood. After 24 hours I was able to wash my face which removed most of the dried blood, however blood did get into my deep scars, and this was fun trying to get out and still being very gentle on the face.

The next day I noticed that small, whiteheads were appearing. I suspect this may have been a result of the vaseline type of cream I was given to use. Or maybe because of the stress the skin went through. But I do know they are mostly gone already. I still have my "tire" marks all over. Looks funny, and IF I thought these were permanent, well... I would just go and shoot myself! (lol) But they are starting to become less visible, as my red skin and swelling lessens.

Really hard to say at this point how successful the procedure went. If you want, I can certainly keep you all up to date. Let me know.

I'm an older lady who has had moderate to severe acne all my life and tried every new drug, cleanser, makeup and procedures that were available... (and there just wasn't a heck of lot like there is today to combat acne).

When I turned thirty, I thought... yipee!! my acne will surely go away soon.... when I turned forty, I thought... okay, my skins bound to settle down. Well, the zits did, but the scaring started getting worse. I heard because of estrogen level change this does sometimes happen.

I've often thought of the (older style) C02 lasers when they first came about, but frankly they frightened me. The risks were just too great.

In spring of this year, I had four Fraxel Re:store procedures. The cost was $800.00 each. They gave me an anti-anxiety pill, two Tylenol 3s and numbing cream. I never found the procedure painful in the least. However, the success of the treatments was minimal. The overall skin tone was better, my pores appeared smaller, and some of my scaring may have been reduced, but not much.Still, I wasn't totally disappointed. There was improvement of my skin.

I considered the Fraxel Re:pair, but there are no doctors in Alberta that provide this yet. But this certainly sounds promising for acne scaring.

I then started researching Sciton's Profractional Laser and had my first treatment three days ago. The cost was less than Fraxel. I paid $500.00 for my face. Before the procedure they applied the same numbing cream as I received with the Fraxel Re:store. I did not receive any meds. The practitioner wanted to go as deep as possible, and because I was able to handle the pain so well, she was able to.

The one thing that I immediately noticed different was that with the Profractional (especially if they go deep), you bleed. Quite a bit... during and for about 12 hours after the procedure.

It did hurt. But it was tolerable. The assistant constantly had cold air blowing across my face to cool it. Felt wonderful. She worked on my face for about 45 minutes.

Getting to my car after the procedure was the worst! I had to walk through a small mall. Found out later that they do have a back door to the parking lot. Darn.

On my drive home, I had to keep blotting the blood on my face. Got home and poor hubby and kids were terrified... I really did look frightening. However, they thought I was in great pain (so, yes I milked it). Got tea in bed, books to read, etc.) Actually it really wasn't hurting much at all. I applied this vaseline type gook they gave me, and kept that applied for 24 hours afterwards.

My face was quite swollen, very red and had what I call "tire" marks all over. You could actually see the laser paths, as every pore was now a dark dot (pixel). There were some areas that had large amounts of dried blood. After 24 hours I was able to wash my face which removed most of the dried blood, however blood did get into my deep scars, and this was fun trying to get out and still being very gentle on the face.

The next day I noticed that small, whiteheads were appearing. I suspect this may have been a result of the vaseline type of cream I was given to use. Or maybe because of the stress the skin went through. But I do know they are mostly gone already. I still have my "tire" marks all over. Looks funny, and IF I thought these were permanent, well... I would just go and shoot myself! (lol) But they are starting to become less visible, as my red skin and swelling lessens.

Really hard to say at this point how successful the procedure went. If you want, I can certainly keep you all up to date. Let me know.

Hi everyone!

I had the profractional laser only on two parts of my face last August. I can't imagine getting my whole face done as it is a very traumatic experience! On the other hand, I had two squares on each cheek that were noticeable (to me) for about four months. Now that the redness is finally gone, I do see an improvement and am going to get it done again. I was charged $150 Canadian.

BTW, I think everyone should look up "body dysmorphic disorder." About 10% of acne patients have this disorder. When you have this disorder, you become very stressed and anxious about minor physical flaws. You think everyone is noticing your hideous pimple. You overrate the value of physical appearance. I believe I have had this disorder for many years, and as a result of the stress, and the skin picking, and the constant application of 500 different products on my face, I actually do now have acne and scarring.

Hi Aqt,

Can you tell us more about your experience. How long was the healing process. Were you able to return to normally activity within days? weeks? I would also be curious to know what part of your face you had done. I'm thinking about having profactional done on my nose.

I also live in Canada, Montreal to be more specific. If by chance you are also in Montreal I would really be interested in knowing the name of the doctor that did your treatment.

Look forward to hearing more about your experience.

PS. I have heard about "body dysmorphic disorder". One doctor actually felt I have this dissorder.

Hi Eddy,

I had the profractional done in North Vancouver. I was surprised that she agreed to do just one area because other doctors had refused, saying I needed to get my whole face done.

I would say that you definitely wouldn't want to go out of the house for the first 24 hours. It bleeds and looks horrible the first 12 hours or so. After that, you can go out if you make sure you put sunscreen on the area. Everyone heels differently. I was slow to heel (heal?). If you just had your nose done, I would definitely say you would want to stay home for the weekend. You would probably look like you had a sunburned nose for while. The ridiculous looking squares on my cheeks were very red for a month, and then gradually diminished. I do see a huge improvement now though. I'm happy with the results.

As for Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), if you stress or get anxious about your acne, you don't go out in public because you have a pimple or two, and you think people reject you because of your complexion, you may have at least a minor form of the disorder. Other symptoms are habitual picking, mirror checking, frequent buying of cosmetics, suntanning, getting frequent dermatological treatments... Usually these habits make you feel better for a little while, and then make you feel worse. It usually occurs in individuals who lack self esteem and/or are shy. If it is minor, you can probably treat yourself. Otherwise, you should seek professional help. It can be very hard to treat because people are convinced they are only lovable or valuable if they are beautiful. The first thing you should do is look around and see all the non beautiful people who ARE loved, important, valuable people. The next thing is to cultivate and appreciate in yourself the things about you that are not contingent on how others view you. There are some books on treating BDD that you can buy online. Even if you do not have BDD, I would read one of these books anyway. It doesn't hurt to learn how to value yourself and free yourself from self inflicted pain and anxiety.

Good luck!

I would like to know how you're doing now. Did the pixel spots go away? How long did it take?

VanGirl. All spots, redness and track marks are gone now. My skin feels very smooth. I'm pleased with the results. I think another two treatments will be it. I don't expect to get all signs of scarring gone, I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin!

I'm actually starting to research a little about a new laser called Pixel, so if anyone knows anything about this new laser I would love to hear your opinion.

Did you by any chance have the treatment at Afterglow in North Vancouver?
VanGirl. All spots, redness and track marks are gone now. My skin feels very smooth. I'm pleased with the results. I think another two treatments will be it. I don't expect to get all signs of scarring gone, I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin!

I'm actually starting to research a little about a new laser called Pixel, so if anyone knows anything about this new laser I would love to hear your opinion.

Did you by any chance have the treatment at Afterglow in North Vancouver?

No. I had my treatments done at Novaderm in Spruce Grove, AB.

I'm getting my first profractional in 5 days. Exactly how long did it take before all redness/marks were gone? How long must I hide?

Hi everyone,

I had my first profractional treatment in Jan 08. The laser was new technology in Oct 07 so I was one of my doctor's first acne scar patients. It cost $800 for 2 treatments. My second was in Feb 08 and I just had a 3rd after Christmas 08. The key to success is the depth they go. I had cystic acne and had quite deep scarring. My doctor went to 750 microns. To give you some point of reference, wrinkle repair is done around 200 microns. I wouldn't have left the house for the first 3 or 4 days and only felt comfortable with make-up at 5 or 6 days. At this point it's hard to tell I ever had acne. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself. The first treatment I saw some improvement. After the second I was very much improved but still had a few spots left where the scarring was the deepest.l After this last treament almost everything is completely gone. It's a mess and slightly painful but so well worth it. At the depth of 750 microns you must be numbed before the procedure with a cream. I think that if you're only pink or you're going in public after only 3 days then your doctor probably didn't go very deep and the result probably won't be as dramatic as mine. Best of luck to all of you, I know what it feels like to be surprised by your reflection in the car window.

HI. I am a nurse in Texas. We have a profractional laser in our plastic surgery office. I had a micro laser done first with the profractional on top. I have some acne scars and brown spots. I am ready to have another profractional done again. To me, the discomfort is minimal and I only had some topical lidocaine before. No injections, valium etc. I was determined though. It has been a few months and my skin looks better every month. It is tight and my pores are minimized. I was not sure at first, but with time I am getting comments from everyone. Everything looks better. Since this has little down time, it is best to have several treatments if you have scars. The Fraxel, which is now older technology, is similar with longer recovery. It does not pull the dead tissue out of the laser chanels (holes) like the profractional does, (I was told). I think this is why the recovery is longer. I now plan to tighten the area under my chin with the profracional. The tightening is amazing. We are much cheaper in our area, but I would recommend the profracional if it is availible in your area. I have done just about everything except Co2, which I will never do. Try it.

If you really were a nurse I'm sure you'd know that the profractional is an Erbium based laser that does not generate the heat capable of skin tightening but it seems you are more interested in selling niave people here treatments.

I am on my second day of the ProFractional treatment. I just wanted to know how long it will take for the pixel-like dots to go away on my skin? I understand the redness stays for a while, but I am not comfortable being out in public with my face covered in dots.