Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sunday

Has anyone successfully come OFF the regimen?

Well I've seen it asked here before but never an answer. I can only hope that the people on the regimen who naturally outgrew acne just stopped posting, but that's not being realistic... you'd at least hear stories, but so far I've read nothing.

I'm worried that by following the regimen I may be delaying or preventing myself from growing out of my acne naturally... I know there's nothing out there to suggest this is true (that I've seen at least) but I haven't seen anything to prove that it ISN'T either! So has anyone here who religiously followed the regimen grow out of their acne and successfully stop following it? Or even know of anyone that did...

My mother had acne that would have ranged between mild-moderate / moderate-severe, and my father didn't have much at all to my knowledge. They were both completely clear when they got married, and my mum reckons she was clear at about 23. She has a few indented scars, dad has nothing (as I said I don't think he had much at all if any).

I'm 20 now and am happy to follow the regimen until I'm 23-24, but after that, seriously.... I hope to be rid of it, and judging by my parents I should be... right? Just want to make sure I'm not doing anything now that might wreck my chances of getting away from this in the future.

The people who have, don't post here anymore. And many people stay with it longterm. Your family history is a good indicator, but not necessarily predictive of what you are going to experience. We have many people here for whom there is no family history of acne at all. And others who do have a strong family history of it. So, each person's experience is going to be individual.

Before I started the Regimen, my neck had a lot of acne. After a few months, I stopped doing the Regimen on my neck and the acne stayed away. It broke out again about a year later--I think it was from my scarf though. It's clear now.

So, it's not an exact answer to your qustion, but at least one part of my body successfully came off of the Regimen.

I have been on the regimen for about 3 years now (I'm 36) and still going. I don't have any family history of adult acne. I recently tried to cut back and I broke out.

I've been on the regimen for over 2 years now. I'll be 21 July 1st. My acne started when I was like a freshman in high school. Started getting really bad around my junior/senior year of HS. I was on the regimen "religiously" for about a year. For about the past year or so, I use BP every once in awhile, mostly just wash twice a day with 2 different cleansers and moisturize like once every 3 days.

Basically what I'm trying to say, is I used the regimen, unchanged, for about a year, with some results. Then, I used the regimen more loosely (like a guide instead of a rule) and still have clearer skin, if not better skin then I was on the regimen. I think you can come off it slowly, but you obviously can't throw everything right out the window. I usually use BP every other night, and besides that like I said just wash my face 2x daily. Not alot of work in order to have decent skin.

I disagree with the people that say you can't out-grow acne. It depends on what type of acne it is, my brother for instance is 23 and his acne is really bad, he could use Accutane, whereas I didn't think mine was bad enough for 'tane (I also didn't think accutane was worth it). But if it's mild to moderate acne (like mine, check out my gallery) then I definately think people can outgrow it. Infact I think that may be what is starting to happen to me.

I just wrote a novel. Haha. Either way, good luck! :)

You know? that's interesting...Now that I think of it EVERYONE ON MY DAD side have acne. On my mom side. They are very clear skin but have horrible black head problems. More focused on my dad though. My cousins all whom are on my dad's side ( children of my dad's siblings) are all older than me; and they all have horrible acne (sever huge cytic nodules). Yet they are all about 23-24 now and they have seem to out grow their acne...Same with my dad he out grew his a few years after he had me as well ..which was around 23. So maybe there is a chance that you can outgrow your. Just because there isn't a research that proves you can't outgrow acne. doesn't mean it can't be possible. So look on your mom's side...look at the family trend and hopefully that could be the case...and well just keep using what you are using and pray that that trend will work on you as well ^_^. Right now my parents are basically making sure i don't scar til the age of 25..I am praying for the same thing...hehe let me know what happens....

acne also has things to do with lifestyle, diets and immune system. Both of my parents and my sibling do not have acne problem EVER....which is very unfair...

I think to come off the regiment. You have to discover what was the cause that you had bacterials on your face while you were using BP to clear up. BP will kill all the bacterials. But if you cant figure out what was the cause of the bacterials, then there is no way you can leave the regiment. May be stop touching your face with your hands, stop playing your hair, change your pillow case more often. Go to gym to get healthier, etc. Cuz it's hard to stop having an oily face if that's in your gene. But you can keep your face clean and use napkin to absorb exceeding facial oil during day time. Use BHA acid products to clear your pore every now and then should be able to help you.

I'm not 100% no acne since I stopped using BP for about three months now, but I am woman and have period every month, only those 2 weeks I have little pimples. but at lease not as bad as before regiment. So, go figure....

It all depends on your skin. You may just grow out of the ance stage like most people or contine to have ance will your 50! it all just depends!

acne also has things to do with lifestyle, diets and immune system. Both of my parents and my sibling do not have acne problem EVER....which is very unfair...

May be stop touching your face with your hands, stop playing your hair, change your pillow case more often.

this is gonna sound weird, but i started the regimen roughly 2 months ago, with moderate acn, like 6, 7 pimples a day, 2 or 3 of those would be those big ones...., anyways, i was gettting clear almost completely actually, UNTIL i had the worst breakout of my life, THE WORST, im not blaming the bp in anyway but i dont kno what else it could be. because of this i decided to stop using it, i searched some other ways of clearin up, i found lots of natural ways on this very site. but it seems ive either outgrown my acne or the natural ways are helping me, i dunno... but im off bp

i started about 6 months ago and it worked really well, but now my nose and top of my cheeks are developing a boat load of little bumps and i can see will turn into white heads shortly. i didnt have ANY problems here at all before.

ive been reading into this and i think i know why.

it sounds like all these products we are using generally thin the skin and while they prevent acne, they also make it more prone to acne. from what i can tell, they both help and hinder. basically putting all this crap in our skin just flogs it out.

now im only making a roughly educated diagnosis, but ive started using emu oil, which helps regenerate and thicken the skin, and while on this i will cut down on the BP slowly until i think my skin can cope.

i am going to continue using cetaphil cleanser still though.

as i said this is just what i have gathered and its what im gonna try. feel free to flame me down.

DR helped me for a good year! But then it stopped working for me for good! I even took a month break to let my skin rest, and started everything all over again. But it never was the same. Right now I even don't use BP, it makes my eyes itchy and irritates my skin. I am happy for the people who have good results. It was my best year with the clear skin.:(

hello all... havent been here for a while.

anyway, to answer the original thread... i started the reg in 2006 and did it fully twice a day for over 6 months... then i cut it down to once a day for about a month... then once every two days... then once every 4 days... then once a week... then once every two weeks... basically gradually over time i cut down... ive been doing it once every two weeks now for about six months... and no real problems...

the thing i noticed however is that whenever i make a switch i sometimes get two or three tiny pimples in the first or second week of making the change... they are very very small and almost invisible... lol... anyway they fade after a few days... i just spot treat them with bp blobs... i think its just the skin getting used to the changes i make...

after the adjustment stages... i stay clear as normal for the most part... i say for the most part because again... ive noticed that whenever i am really stressed out from uni (lots of work), 90 percent of the time i tend to get two or maybe three pimples at most... again very small and usually gone in a few days of spot treatment with bp.

so yes... i guess i have successfully come off the reg to an extent... i havent done it for three weeks now... might do it tomorrow maybe... or might see if i can get it up to four... lol.

one final thing i should say... i do moisturize every day at least once with an oil free acne healthy moisturizer regardless of whether im on the reg or not... when i do the reg (which is once every two weeks) i moisturize everyday twice for a week after just to get my skin in order from the bp dryness.

my skin looks and feels real good by the way... i never thought i would recover from acne really... im amazed that i have really... im really thankful to dan for his regiment advice and this site... good luck to you all.

oh and one final thing... i did try once before all the success about four months into the reg to cut down to once a day and it did not work... my skin was not ready for it... after a few months later i tried it and it all went from there as described above...

the key thing i did at the start was to use lots and lots of bp... i was really dry but it killed the active areas and got my skin stable from the acne... i also use 4 percent bp... ive always used it.

Im off the regimen and its day 3 Im fine all i do is wash gently twice a day and apply sulfur spot treat wenever neccessary... But im 90% sure toxins and bad diet over the years played a major role in my acne. But Im not using bp anymore..Lifestyle changes.. diet,positive emotions, sleep, sunshine,fresh air, and detoxification.. are things that clear my acne up..

I am currently trying to come off of the Regimen after 6 months. So far I've had 1-2 weeks of progress so far. I've cut off the amount of BP I use from both day AND night to only during the night. Will update within a month or if I break out. Good luck to all and wish me luck guys!

It's really hard to get off the regimen because you've been using it for such a long time that you are now "dependent" on it. So if you stop it, you will break out immediately. I guess you can try reducing the dose and amount of BP slowly until you are completely off the regimen. It's like the beginning. You start with a small dose but slowly increase. But now you are starting with a big dose and you are slowly decreasing the amount.

I know this is a little off-topic, but has anyone who started going on the contraceptive pill to control acne successfully gone off it without the acne coming back?

I've been on the contraceptive pill for 8 years now, and it has controlled my back acne reasonably well. Over these years, I have tried to stay off the pill about 3 times, and each time, my back acne would hit back worse than I remember it was before I started on the pill.

My mother's theory is that I should just stay off the pill, let all the acne come out and then grow out of it, but like someone has said, I don't know if acne is necessarily something that one simply grows out of. I'm thinking of getting off the pill but at the same time, I don't want to go on the regimen for my back for the obvious bleaching reason.