Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
babygrand88

Smoothbeam breakout...is this normal? Please share!

seems odd how a treament promoting clear skin is actually making it worse. future users: don't put your hopes too high. It could make your face get more acne (cystic)... and you know what cystic means right = EVEN POSSIBLY RESULT IN MORE SCARS AS WELL. And that's no joke. It's a big risk for only 10% gain, if any gain at all. What does 10% gain really look like? Do you think it's worth the gamble. Just who am i? I'm no stranger to smoothbeam... Not long ago I went through the same ordeal. I was highly considering going on accutane as well at that time after that ordeal. I wish someone warned me about the possible dangers. if you look at previous posts, many smoothbeam operators sell you packages. with all the hype in lasers, there are huge profit potential in this lucrative industry and even good practitioners are catching onto this hype thinking there may be something special in these lasers. these lasers are worth their weight in trash - and that's to put it in the least harshest way. why sell 1 treament when you can sell 5 at the same time and kill 5 birds with one stone. people with acne scars are willing to throw money at you for the cure - something that's instant... something with no side effects... something with no downtime, as they put it. - and to put all your worries to rest. the profit margin is just enormous. just picture a shady character counting all the cash in the corner of the backroom boiler room. nlite, smoothbeam, yag, pulse-dye, co2 - its the same garbage... with co2 being among the worst of the pack. so hold your horses, as you could end up empty-handed. procedures like these should be banned and the people who perform them should be locked up. for those who did smoothbeam, can you honestly say you notice significant improvement? I'll be the first to admit I've been ripped off. plain and simple and nothing to be embarassed about. so think twicebefore jumping into a procedure. hopefully there will be a much better treatment out there. as for smoothbeam, don't say I didn't warn you.

It's a well known fact that if you have ANY active acne you should not get any sort of scar revision treatment done. Smoothbeam is such a treatment and really should not be undertaken by anyone that has had a breakout in the last 6 months. Your doc should have told you that and if he/she didn't then they are a quack (and there's plenty of them around)

It sucks but it's true. Heal your skin first then seek help to get rid of the leftover damage that results. All the disturbance to the skin just makes it react - hence when people go beserk putting all sorts of lotions and potions on their skin in an effort to get rid of marks/spots/scars they just make matters worse.

Time doesn't heal all wounds but it does allow for action to be taken in the future to correct past wounds.

I'm terribly sorry, babygrand88. Do you ever get cold sores? There is a risk of infection after smoothbeam, I imagine because the skin has an injury. Did your dermatologist discuss the possibility of that kind of infection with you(an actual skin infection manifesting as bumps)? Are you sure it's acne?

those cold-sore / bumps that you guys are refering to is a painful cyst-like infection which is known as a "boil" or an "infected hair follicle." thse are common with smoothbeam and hardly go away even if you treat them with topical medications. for 2 of these on my face, it took 2 months of benzoyl peroxide use to get them down. then I got a 3rd one and tried to treat it with differin - doesn't go away fast. then I got the injection. these bumps need to be injected with cortisone. the cortisone injection is probably the only effective way to get rid of these inflamatory lesions. then I would break out and get acne on my face where I wouldn't normally get it - now these were regular acne and cysts that I got shortly later. the cysts would heal, then more would come... and it happened for several months - 6 to 8 months or so, nonstop. then I got another boil... had this one treated with a puncturing method and it's now gone. I was highly considering going on accutane but I got the cortisone injection instead. I have also been prescribed minocycline tablets and differin gel and so far it has been greatly controlled ever since then. if these didn't work, I was going to go on accutane. I've been on it before a long time ago. babygrand88, are getting the cysts only or the cysts with the boils?

babygrand, i feel sad hearing your story. I know what you're going through. I went through the same hell and back. I was going to urgent care almost every other dog-gone day when a new cyst appeared. also, the place you got the smoothbeam from, the doctor said you were breaking out more not because of the smoothbeam but because of the regular course of acne?... that's bull. I never had these cysts appear like this before the smoothbeam. I would consider filing suit for emotional damages and any other damages you may have suffered. but meanwhile you should do everything you can to keep the acne down. and smoothbeam ain't no alternative to accutane in my eyes.

I too have both broken out (cysts) as well as cold sore like bumps all over from SB...it has definitely increased my breakouts, and I don't know that I will be going for a fourth SB. The breakouts are in places that I have never broken out before, so I am hoping they go away soon (it has been 3 wks since my last SB.)

I got a rather larger blemish on my upper lip after my last smoothbeam but I've never had cold sores. I got rid of it with the tca complex. Yes, I kind of messed with it before then applied the tca complex, which actually got rid of it. I'm not sure if it's going to leave a scar although there is a slight mark there. I have to say that I occasionally got blemishes before smoothbeam and it seems like blaming it on smoothbeam may not be the answer although I'm not discounting anyone elses observations.

i have had one treatment and I thank god I stopped immediately. running smoothbeam on those existing boils and inflamatory lesions may have even made them worse, or even severely scarred when healed... and i wasn't going to stick around just to find out. the first 2 boils had already left scars however the scars are minor - luckily they were treated fast enough before they got deeper. i went to urgent care almost every other day until they got their asses handed to them. you can say i had one less treatment from further damage. if you will take accu, it will take a little while before it gets results as it doesnt work overnight. as far as using cortisone, use them while in the beginning of accutane only for the existing worst cysts to immediately relieve them. as accutane begins to kick in, you shouldn't get anymore injections. the cortisone may or may not cause temporary indentation or sunkenness of the skin which may have an impact on accutane skin. the accutane will get rid of all the existing acne... and you should start seeing results starting in a month or two... gradual healing. if you want the injection, you should be the one to mention it first or else you might leave empty-handed. unfortunately most dermatologists don't see acne as being an emergency situation that requires immediate injection. as for the anti-viral medications, what is the name and what is it used for?

Maybe, it's safe to say Smoothbeam may not be for those who have active acne. I han't ever had a bad problem with cysts. Although, I can remember having 2 full fleged cyst that I can remember. I think of a cyst as being larger and way under the skin. With one, I finally had a cotisone injection which left 2 holes which are still present and visible. They are along my jaw line and hardly noticeable however. I have to say it was almost like the worst few months for my skin in my life. I think taking oral supplements for prevention will help. I actully took an herbal supplement called "Herpanacine" which IMO really helped. This worked for me as well and I think better than an anti-biotic. I havn't heard much about it on this board but I really liked it and I'm not the kind of person to spend 20-30 dollars a bottle on 3 bottles of something that doesnt work. I'm not promoting this product but I found a place in Dallas that sold it for less than I could get it on-line. Currently, I don't have perfectly clear skin but with getting older, my skin has gotten a little better and I don't experience alot of breakouts.

yes, accutane is okay for someone who gets monthly breakouts and cysts 1-2x weekly. it's all about the severity of how the acne looks. and if they take longer than a week to heal, at about a month I would imagine that some of the previous cysts are there, then week after week it can add up. tons of acne doesn't appear overnight - instead they appear slowly one by one and they all add up. sometimes we get sick of this acne stuff and when all else fails, accutane is the only answer to help get our skin back in order and to help restore the emotional setbacks previously caused. why, are you having second thoughts now? those thoughts are probably normal since you're seeing improvements already.

How were the results of the Obagi Blue Peel for you? I consulted an MD and she recommended Blue Peel for me and it will only cost me $500 for a medium setting. OMG - u paid $2000. shock.gif

For the guy that considered going back on accutane....did you have breakouts like I just had?!?  Did it clear quickly and you changed your mind?  It is sad, because I look 10X worse now than I did before.  And I had active acne....in fact, one or two cysts that I had injected the day before!  Never heard about that claim...in fact it has been called an alternative to accutane and the doctor's office is going to be trying that before accutane, on all of these teenagers with  messed up faces.  Good god!  I am not going through with the set.  It is so sad.  My derm has Okayed me to go back on the accutane...got my prescription a few minutes ago.  I pray that this will end all of this.  It worked the first time...then I went and had the CO2 ($2000) done, a few months ago I had the Obagi Blue Peel ($2000) and just did a smoothbeam last week ($500)....I think that a gentle cleanser and accutane will be it from here on out.  After the accutane, no more Wierd creams (Obagi system for three months ($300-400!!) that uses Retin-A at night...couldn't even smile or hardly eat because my face was so freakin dry...did it do anything???? NO!) and the MD Forte...that didn't work either and about every other thing in the market.  I think that after my first round (about 6 years ago) I kept trying things because it worked so well and I was so happy....this time, I am keeping it simple and not throwing my money around anymore!

Just my thoughts, please comment on them...especially if you have had this heinious breakout after smoothbeam!!!  My doc says that that wasn't it and I have just been getting progressivly worse...I went from 1-2 cysts a week (which I know is enough to go back on accutane, because no antibiotics/diets have changed it in the last year and a half) to like 8 around my mouth!!!  It is so embarassing and I have been crying at least once a day....I don't want to be so depressed because now I wish I at least looked the way I did a few weeks ago!!  sad.gif