Notifications
Clear all

Anybody has intense depression resulting from acne scars?

MemberMember
(@ai3forever)

Posted : 02/23/2008 9:19 pm

I have bouts of intense depression every time I wake up. I think im going nuts because of my shitty skin, and to make myself feel better ive been smoking and drinking till im drunk. Of course thats not a good solution. Anybody has any ideas on how to cope with the depression?

MemberMember
(@stellarmagic)

Posted : 02/23/2008 9:26 pm

I have bouts of intense depression every time I wake up. I think im going nuts because of my shitty skin, and to make myself feel better ive been smoking and drinking till im drunk. Of course thats not a good solution. Anybody has any ideas on how to cope with the depression?
MemberMember
(@moon-face-2)

Posted : 02/23/2008 9:30 pm

Hey.

I know how you feel. I have been depressed about my skin and other issues as well. I saw a doctor and have been on anti-depresents. I recently stopped taking medicine and have been doing yoga. I know it may sound silly but it really helps. I know scarring can cause emotional pain. I know this may sound cheesy but try to focus on the positive things about yourself. Personality does really shine regardless of physical flaws. I have liked many guys in the past who have had scaring, balding, etc. There physical flaws did not bother me. My current boyfriend has perfect skin, and he still loves me regardless of my face. Anyways if you need to talk please post your feelings. I hope this message helped.

MemberMember
(@ai3forever)

Posted : 02/23/2008 9:32 pm

Hey.

I know how you feel. I have been depressed about my skin and other issues as well. I saw a doctor and have been on anti-depresents. I recently stopped taking medicine and have been doing yoga. I know it may sound silly but it really helps. I know scarring can cause emotional pain. I know this may sound cheesy but try to focus on the positive things about yourself. Personality does really shine regardless of physical flaws. I have liked many guys in the past who have had scaring, balding, etc. There physical flaws did not bother me. My current boyfriend has perfect skin, and he still loves me regardless of my face. Anyways if you need to talk please post your feelings. I hope this message helped.

MemberMember
(@notsoscarredforever)

Posted : 02/23/2008 10:32 pm

You could try Yoga or any other new hobby or sport, The key to beating depression is to keep busy and keep your mind healthy.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 02/23/2008 10:37 pm

You need to start laughing a lot and eating chocolate. Those are the best medicines and they make such a difference :) I still suffer from depression but it has gotten better over the years.

MemberMember
(@johnchlebeck)

Posted : 02/23/2008 10:44 pm

Hi. Yep, I've been struggling with depression for a long time too. I've been seeing a therapist for the last year, and that really seems to help me. Not only does it provide a place to talk openly about my deepest secrets and personal emotions, but my therapist has also helped me to see things from another perspective, to understand the roots of my emotions to some degree and to start to reprogram my thinking a little. It is not easy, but it has helped gradually over time. Anti-depressants can help too.

MemberMember
(@palepink)

Posted : 02/24/2008 12:26 am

For me, I have been struggling more with the embarrassment of having scars rather than depression. As a result, I don't go out at all if I don't have to. I skipped school often too. When I go out, I need a large amount of makeup to cover my skin problems and scars. I have found it hard to look people in the eye or talk to people without avoiding eye contact. I have grown my hair out very long in the hope of it to cover my scars at the side of my face. All of this has resulted in a really bad personality which only makes things worse. I have also started an obsession with skin care products. I keep buying them all the time even though I know that they probably won't help with my scars. Most of the time I still try to be optimistic about things but when I look in the mirror sometimes in bad lighting or when my makeup has faded, I feel really deformed.

MemberMember
(@tko)

Posted : 02/24/2008 11:09 am

I just think that if you go work out at the gym thats helps depression

MemberMember
(@koolfool)

Posted : 02/24/2008 11:26 am

Yep, I live with embarassment every because of acne scars. Just like this morning, I talked with some of my colluages. they are foreign which made the sistuation get worse. I couldn't even say anthing grammatically correctly, not to mention my lost confidence, my own true color. and now i'm deep in desperation, wondering why I'm turning out like this. Hic. I need my skin improving, at least 50% or I'll die crying.

MemberMember
(@find-myself)

Posted : 02/24/2008 12:19 pm

*raises hand*

After I started getting scars you'd never see me not look at a mirror I try not to. But when I go to the bathroom I just can't help it. It's like an addiction. I get so depressed sometimes I just don't want to face the world.

MemberMember
(@endofacne)

Posted : 02/25/2008 11:11 pm

Ummm...yes. I've seriously considered suicide so many times. I'm definitely depressed, but am kind of in a denial to really do anything about it. I just wouldn't feel comfortable talking with a therapist about anything. I've started working out and just getting into a bunch of activities which I think the less time you have to think about it, the less harrowing it seems.

HOWEVER, sometimes I feel like I will NEVER find a man to take me with this skin. It's seriously terrible. I'm 25 and have NEVER been in a serious relationship...or any relationship. Acne and scars suck

MemberMember
(@pi_gua)

Posted : 02/25/2008 11:34 pm

Yeah I had many instances of depression. I fought it off by dieting, running, working out and jump roping.

My scars f'n p1ss the hell out of me so much that I got a student loan just so I can go get either needling or fraxel done. Still deciding on which procedure to do.

MemberMember
(@bama2000)

Posted : 02/26/2008 12:16 am

I was depressed about it in my teens and 20's. Couple things:

1. Pursue your goals, regardless of your face. Be successful. This will help you down the road to better cope with your situation.

2. You will never have perfect skin, but you can really improve it. It took me a decade plus, but my skin looks decent enough that it doesnt bother me too much.

3. As you get older, you might relax about it. When I was younger it really affected me, but not so much anymore. I have found I relaxed about many things and the pursuit of perfection still drives me, but not as much anymore.

4. You may always wish you had better skin...but if you can get past those rough years then you can take your Porsche out for a spin when you are down. That usually helps tremendously :)

MemberMember
(@willow68)

Posted : 02/26/2008 12:44 am

I have absolutely suffered from depression because of my skin. It's a horrible feeling.

MemberMember
(@winds-of-plague)

Posted : 02/26/2008 2:16 am

Acne Scars and Depression are best friends. It's ridiculous.

MemberMember
(@retardiest)

Posted : 02/28/2008 1:32 pm

I'm definitely in on this with you all... The initial breakout I got from retin a for 2 months straight before I quit has absolutely ruined my self confidence for the past 4-5 months. Scars all over. Red marks all over.. And to top it off I still have acne. Even if its jsut one pimple it makes all the red marks on my face pop out. Used to have girls follow me to work, gym, home and most of them falling in love with me without me trying. Now I dont even go out much for girls because hoping next month it will disapear (which hasnt happened yet) or my self confidence when talking ot the opposite sex isnt anything like what it was a year ago. I workout and am in great great shape, but the face has something wrong with it all over. hallelujah

MemberMember
(@texan90)

Posted : 02/28/2008 2:04 pm

Just one and half years ago I had no scarring and no acne. I'm 23 now and things have gotten to the point where I cant stand going outside. I sought out tx such as fraxel to help w/ some minor scarring, but this only made things worse and now I have uneven skin depth because the laser burned off skin. Also have pockmarks and scars left by the aftermath. If I had just let things run their course before Id have no scarring but because I tried to make things perfect, it became worse.

While these lasers and such help some people, its very misleading in how they're advertised. In the end it's all about money anyways, and the derms are trying to sell you a quick fix. We're just another patient/cash check to them but to us this means so much.

MemberMember
(@prettyplain)

Posted : 02/28/2008 2:17 pm

6 months back, I had no scars on my face. It actually glowed. But now my right cheek is covered with spots and scars. The most embarrassing part is when you have to make a presentation in front of 150 odd people and you are aware that each and every person is not only listening to what you are saying, but is also scrutinising you from head to toe. I have had to endure this for the past 6 months.

But you know what keeps me going? I am a damn good presenter and my face is just one part that I believe lets me down. I speak well, dress up well and get my entire audience in trance. And after a few minutes, I know that those very same people are no longer concentrating on my face, but just on my presentation.

So, don't give too much of importance to those momentary depressing thoughts.

MemberMember
(@scarred23)

Posted : 03/13/2013 7:49 pm

*raises hand* After I started getting scars you'd never see me not look at a mirror I try not to. But when I go to the bathroom I just can't help it. It's like an addiction. I get so depressed sometimes I just don't want to face the world.

I feel the same way

Just one and half years ago I had no scarring and no acne. I'm 23 now and things have gotten to the point where I cant stand going outside. I sought out tx such as fraxel to help w/ some minor scarring, but this only made things worse and now I have uneven skin depth because the laser burned off skin. Also have pockmarks and scars left by the aftermath. If I had just let things run their course before Id have no scarring but because I tried to make things perfect, it became worse.While these lasers and such help some people, its very misleading in how they're advertised. In the end it's all about money anyways, and the derms are trying to sell you a quick fix. We're just another patient/cash check to them but to us this means so much.

I feel the same way I used retina a and my face has never been the same. I tried to correct the scars I had and now I have chunks of my face missing and loss of fullness. I compare my arm to my face all the time wish my face looked like my arm skin :(

I'm definitely in on this with you all... The initial breakout I got from retin a for 2 months straight before I quit has absolutely ruined my self confidence for the past 4-5 months. Scars all over. Red marks all over.. And to top it off I still have acne. Even if its jsut one pimple it makes all the red marks on my face pop out. Used to have girls follow me to work, gym, home and most of them falling in love with me without me trying. Now I dont even go out much for girls because hoping next month it will disapear (which hasnt happened yet) or my self confidence when talking ot the opposite sex isnt anything like what it was a year ago. I workout and am in great great shape, but the face has something wrong with it all over. hallelujah

I'm sure your still cute. I get intimated by cute guys and scared to talk to them. I'm sure that's what it is. Try baking soda as a cleanser

MemberMember
(@whattobehandsome30)

Posted : 01/21/2014 3:16 am

Knowing that i'll never be what i once was breaks my heart ..... looking at my face from the scarring on the nose ( dermastamp 2mm which the B....h didn't tell me if there would be any adverse effects ) suicide is always on my mind .... am always hoping for a scar cure one day

MemberMember
(@sunbeam-the-great)

Posted : 01/21/2014 6:08 pm

You know most of us are very depressed about our appearances....

Blame biology for the causes of acne. But for off-topic fairness - soldiers or people also suffers depression from lost of legs, limbs, or arms. After war or bad conflicts.. I am saying it's not just the scaring issue. Beside scars aren't physically painful, can possibly be treated.

And note no one's perfect!

MemberMember
(@whattobehandsome30)

Posted : 01/21/2014 6:56 pm

You know most of us are very depressed about our appearances....

Blame biology for the causes of acne. But for off-topic fairness - soldiers or people also suffers depression from lost of legs, limbs, or arms. After war or bad conflicts.. I am saying it's not just the scaring issue. Beside scars aren't physically painful, can possibly be treated.

And note no one's perfect!

I know ... but it's like you see other people that never had a pimple in there life and you think ... damn where did i go wrong ... is it my diet ? ... do i stress too much ? .... is it the depression ? and you try your best and nothing seems to work ... am trying to get rid of the spots before having any scar treatment .... but you're right .... logically i should see that others have it worse off ....

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 01/21/2014 7:20 pm

This is called perspective.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/21/2014 7:32 pm

LETS NOT SINK TOO EASILY