Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Release the Stars

Does it get better?

Hey guys, I have a question about acne and scars. Since most of you in this forum have beat acne, I'd like to know if you feel as bad about scars as you did about acne.

I've been clearing up my skin pretty well lately, and I've been getting more scared because when the acne leaves my face it uncovers what my face ACTUALLY LOOKS like.

Did anyone feel like this? Its almost like I don't want to clear up my acne because I'll have too look at my face, and I'll be disappointed.

Im the kind of person that gets really embarrassed about acne and can only talk about it with family and one or two friends. Basically, Im really embarrassed and sometimes I don't want to leave my house, make eye contact, or show my face anywhere...

So my question is, when my acne does go away, will I have the same problem with my scars? will I still be hiding my face? Will I still be afraid of bright fluorescent lights? Will I ever be satisfied with the appearance of my skin or will I have to just get used to it?

Also, now that Im on this forum... Id like to also ask, when the red marks appear right after the infection has gone away, is the little indentation that comes with the red marks, a permanent scar, or is it just the way that new skin looks? When the red mark fades and becomes regular, will this indentation go away?

These are questions Im really confused about, because I can never be too sure what are scars and what are just pimples making my face look rugged. Oh and ppl say "scars fade" but how can that be??? Scars are permanent, and if yours faded, well.... they weren't scars. RIGHT? Oh I just don't know.

If you answer any of these questions, Ill really appreciate it. Thanks you all!

When people say "scars fade" they're usually referring to the red marks. And sometimes the little indentation with the red mark goes away.

Usually the scars that bother people are the icepick/boxcar, rolling scar, and rough skin texture issues.

And how you'll deal with the scars really depends on how severe they are and how much you are willing to accept them. My scars bother me a lot [but were not caused by acne, but autoimmune disease] but I'm here because they're very similar to acne scarring. I only really like looking at myself in my bathroom mirror, like the lighting in there is perfect. But whenever I see myself in my door windows or reflection on glass doors in public or public restrooms I feel like crying, because I can remember so vividly when I had a smooth face. And I want to get it treated, but the worst part? My face is still scarring and getting worst, and theres really nothing I can do about it but wait until it stops. I am in constant fear that my GF will find some excuse to leave me, but she does nothing but shower me in love :wub: but I've become really self-conscious and all of it has really murdered my confidence.

I would suggest not to build your hopes up too much when you acne does end, dont think you will look perfect cause thats what I did. The scars were like a kick in the nuts. If I had realistic expectations then maybe I wouldnt of taken it so hard.

Scars actually do fade, especially if you are young. If your 18 and have beat acne, your scars are going to be much improved and leveled by the time your 20 or so.

I got rid of my acne at age 17-18. Now I'm 25 -- I don't think any of my scars leveled, but it's hard to say cuz I didn't really pay that much attention to my scars until age 21.

Having said that I don't have acne, I think you can look at it this way: when the acne has gone, and you have whatever scarring you have, you can start treating that. There are many treatments for acne scars, as you probably know. You'll most likely be happy after having treated the scars. Try to look at it from a positive point of view. Of course, having the scars is no fun. But whatever scarring you might have, when your acne has gone, those can be improved. So you probably won't be stuck with them forever, the way they look just after your acne has gone.

thanks guys. I still have a lot of redness and thats why cant tell if they will go away quick. You actually cant tell its that bad utill I stand directly under a strong light. Then all the little imperfections cast a shadow and I look like the phantom of the opera lol.

Also there are some scars that look like smooth red marks under my bathroom lights, but when natural light hits my face fromthe side, those red marks look like shallow boxcar scars. I really hope those goa way with the redness.

Thanks again guys. I just need some hope while I go through this accutane crap.

my best advice to you is be as healthy as possible. Eat very well, work out etc. You'll find when your acne fades it heals, so if you're healthy it heals much more efficiently.

I would say acne is not as worse as the scars. When I had acne, I knew that eventually it would go away. However, scars will be here forever. I was ignorant though and thought that you only scarred if you popped or pick at your acne so I figured that once my acne was gone I would have great skin since I never ever picked or popped. I really wish I would have known that you can scar without picking, because if I knew what kind of boat I was in now I would have been a lot more aggressive with treating my acne and would have started a lot earlier. If I could only go back in time to when I was 14 or 15.

When my acne cleared from accutane I was sooo happy but I was left with scars. My scars are not that noticable in day light but if there is bright light about my head, the scars are totally noticable and very ugly looking. whenever i get a glimpse of my scars in harch lightening, it makes me feel very depressed and I feel like its just as bad as acne. I am sooo afraid that my scars may be permanent.

I had severe acne that ended in moderate scarring. For me acne was way worse. I looked really aweful. I guess it depends how severe was your acne, and how your skin scars.

You really don't know how you gonna scar until those red marks clear.

I think some people state scars are worse because they are hopeless. Unfortunately there are a lot of procedures out there that they are just in my opinion a waste of money. I haven't done much for my scars but I will give it a try.

Personally I haven't seen any good pictures here (I know lighting and angles can be very tricky, it's the story of my life), but I have seen members that have been here for many years and some of them have stated that they have improve their scarring and many agree with the same procedures.

It's important not to lose perspective and be greatful especially if you're scarring is not severe. I would recommend to take pictures while you have your breakouts, before treating your scars etc to measure your progress. Most people are not very good at evaluating themselves (myself included when I saw pictures of my breakouts, I had totally forgotten how bad I looked)

I am very relieved l that I haven't had acne for the past 3 years and for me yes it got waaay better.

Thanks thanks thanks. What are the best scar treatments. I was looking at fraxel videos and was amazed! And the whole lighting thing... Eww. Its like my life is controlled by lighting. I wont go into subways (the sandwitch place) because the lights are ultra bright, and make me look awful.

My active acne is pretty much gone. I'm left with moderate red marks and quite a few "icepick" type scars on both of my cheeks. They don't look too bad under normal lighting, but under harsh lights they look terrible. I hope they will fade someday. I think it's really hard to say. I think for some people certain procedues and time works. My uncle suffered from severe acne when he was a teen, and he still has some scars left He's 45 years old. So I don't know. I did pick some of my acne when I had it, but I guess I just didn't know at the time that they would scar. I'm currently looking into methods of helping the scars heal. The redmarks bother me, but I know eventually they will fade. It's the scars that bother me the most.