Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
modestGuy

How to swallow pill?

Hello Everyone,

I been on the DK regimen for several weeks now and I can actually see a big improvement. I was just surfing these message boards and I read that it's better to stop acne on the outside and inside. So I just recieved my order from drugstore.com. I got One-a-Day, Zinc, and Omega 3

Eversince since i was young, I have never been able to swallow a pill successfully. Sometime after many attempts i finally get one. I go through such a big ordeal trying to get one down. I tried taking those 3 pills today after dinner and wasn't able to. So i just chew it all in my mouth first and swallow it down with water. That zinc pill is so bitter. The other two i can tolerate.

Anyone care to share any tips on how to swallow pill?

Thanks in advance.

Put the pill in the mouth.

Drink a glass of water without swallowing.

Relax the throat

Take a big breath.

Relax some more.

Tilt the head backward (so that you find yourself staring at the ceiling) in one quick burst.

Done

Hello Everyone,

I been on the DK regimen for several weeks now and I can actually see a big improvement. I was just surfing these message boards and I read that it's better to stop acne on the outside and inside. So I just recieved my order from drugstore.com. I got One-a-Day, Zinc, and Omega 3

Eversince since i was young, I have never been able to swallow a pill successfully. Sometime after many attempts i finally get one. I go through such a big ordeal trying to get one down. I tried taking those 3 pills today after dinner and wasn't able to. So i just chew it all in my mouth first and swallow it down with water. That zinc pill is so bitter. The other two i can tolerate.

Thanks in advance.

wow, I thought I was the only person with this problem! haha, I'm 20 years old and I have trouble swallowing pills as well. It's gotten better the older I've gotten, but it's still a struggle. I think it's mostly a mental issue.

Before I swallow a pill, I make sure I eat something so that my body is in that "swallowing mode" haha (if that makes any sense). I usually have to hold the pill in my mouth for a minute before actually swallowing it, but some pills that don't have a coating don't really allow me to do that (bad taste).

I took accutane, and had to swallow a pill every day. I actually never once had an issue and it got easier every day. I still had to hold the pill in my mouth for a whole minute before swallowing though haha. Anyway, I don't have a whole lot of advice for you since I'm in the same boat, but I thought I'd share my story and let you know you aren't alone!

I used to be that way as well, but then I realized that when I eat, I am swallowing something much larger than the size of the pill (even if chewed very well, it's not like you swallow a tiny tiny bit at a time...). So like others said, relax, and just think about how you are perfectly capable of swallowing a pill.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Noo don't chew the pills up! That's not good. But what you can do is say you put some food in your mouth, chew it all up and right when your about to swallow, put a pill in your mouth with it and put it in the middle of all of it and swallow the food, you won't even notice a pill in there.

Capsules float and tablets sink.

With a capsule, take with a swig of water and look down, it will float to the back of your throat, then swallow.

With a tablet, do the opposite, swig of water and look up.

You can trick kids this way by how full you fill their water glass. Really full for capsules...they have to look down and sip off the rim of the glass. But really empty glass for tablets, they have to lean back to swallow the water.

I have an awesomely genius mom. I am 35 years old and I use all the tricks that she used on me.

DON'T swallow your pills whole. You should continue to chew them up and then swallow them. I've been doing that for at least the last 30 years or so.

Many pills shouldn't be chewed.

Some of them are not as effective when chewed as enzyme process deactivate them.

I was actually talking about drugs and since you were talking about pills and not "supplements" I thought a warning was needed. I agree that vitamins and such are not a problem when chewed.

Capsules float and tablets sink.

With a capsule, take with a swig of water and look down, it will float to the back of your throat, then swallow.

With a tablet, do the opposite, swig of water and look up.

You can trick kids this way by how full you fill their water glass. Really full for capsules...they have to look down and sip off the rim of the glass. But really empty glass for tablets, they have to lean back to swallow the water.

I have an awesomely genius mom. I am 35 years old and I use all the tricks that she used on me.

I have a question on the oppisisite side - does it make it less effective if you SWALLOW a pill that is supposed to be chewed? I HATE the taste of antacids and cheweable Pepto Bismal pills, but don't know if swallowing would work as well....????? (I'm even okay with it being a little delayed in the amount of time it takes to work, just as long as it works effectively!)

Use some common sense and CHEW UP your supplements.

Or just swallow them whole, because they taste disgusting.

I have a question on the oppisisite side - does it make it less effective if you SWALLOW a pill that is supposed to be chewed? I HATE the taste of antacids and cheweable Pepto Bismal pills, but don't know if swallowing would work as well....????? (I'm even okay with it being a little delayed in the amount of time it takes to work, just as long as it works effectively!)

What I do with vitamin supplements is dissolve them in a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, add the ACV to some water, and then drink the water.

It appears as though the ACV dissolves supplements quite nicely, into hundreds of little bits.

Do you think this would be as effective as chewing it?

What I do is, first I drink some water to wet my mouth and throat. Then I take a large sip of water that I hold in my mouth, and THEN I take the pill and swallow it together with the water. That way, I usually hardly feel the taste of it, and it slides down really easily.

Tasting the pill, if it tastes bad, can sometimes make you feel nauseous, and that certainly doesn't help when you're trying to swallow something!

Oh, and also, feeling the pill in the mouth could probably start some involuntary muscle contractions in your throat if you've had trouble swallowing pills before. If the pill is in water, so that you hardly feel it in your mouth, there's nothing that can scare you! :)

I used to have trouble swallowing pills too.

Here's how I fixed the problem:

1. Get your pill to balance on the top of your tounge, as far back as possible.

2. Fill your mouth with water or some other liquid.

3. Try and trick your mind into believing you just ran a mile and are about to gulp a glass of water... Forget about the pill.

Then swallow. Remember, not being able to swallow a pill is all in your head.

good luck!

What I do with vitamin supplements is dissolve them in a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, add the ACV to some water, and then drink the water.

It appears as though the ACV dissolves supplements quite nicely, into hundreds of little bits.

Do you think this would be as effective as chewing it?

What I do:

-put the pill on my tounge, narrow way facing down

-drink a decent amount of water so that the pill starts floating around in your mouth

-drink that swig of water as if there was no pill in it

look up while doing this if youre having problems

I can't chew the B complex, it's awful, so I rather break the tablet with something and eat the little pieces lol!

Thank you for everyone tips. I tried them but still can't swallow the pills today. From what i read, I guess it's ok to chew them before swallowing. I tried and tried, drinking over 5 cups of water with still no luck. I hope i will get used to the taste of that zinc pill.