Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've had roaccutane and 4 nlites so far. At 1st i was unsure of nlite, however in the last month, i have noted that my rolling scars on the cheeks have definately reduced. My main problem now is redness and the odd spot - 1-2/week.

However the spots arise differently. I now tend to get deep whiteheads/ very tiny bumps on the skin on the cheek area and area between cheek and nose. I can sometimes get them out - they look like small yellow lumps - hard whiteheads. However, i am unable to get others out and eventually they cause local inflammation and i get a red spot. That lasts for a week until evenually the whitehead becomes more superifical or pus forms, and so then i just squeeze it out after a hot shower.

My question is: how can i stop these whitehead/lumps from coming?? will microdermabrasion help?

thanks

sounds like clogged pores - you need to exfoliate....your best option is a beta hydroxy acid (salicylic acid) product because it is oil soluble and can therefore penetrate inside the pore and clean it out. Go carefully because the areas you are talking about are very delicate. According to SkinXpert (whose posts are worth a read) you are better to soften up the blackheads with steam or hot towels before applying a bha solution or mask.

i find my redness gets worse with salicylic acid. Would microdermabrasion help? What about high dose (10g/day) vitamin B5?

Anyone with any information for IPL for acne redness/scars???

Hi Terminator, The bumps are hardened lumps of sebum that are surfacing, sometimes they'll pop out by themselves other times they need to be carefully removed with a lancet, but the skin should be softened with steam or warm towels first. They are probably coming to the surface because your dermis is building new collagen from the nlite treatments ( this is a good thing ) and it is pushing them to the surface.The IPL has minimal results for the redness. My IPL machine cost thousands of $$$$$ and I rarely use it any more. As far as microdermabrasion, it will temporarily cause even more redness but does exfoliate the skin enough for the milia ( those hard bumps ) to be removed more easily. On sensitive or couperose skin (redness ) the setting on the microderm machine should be very low. Check around for the best price for microdermabrasion, the price varies greatly and most of the different machine produce the same results. I only use the microderm in conjunction with other treatments. Another very expensive machine with minimal results !! I have had fairly good results with good old fasioned iontophoresis ( galvanic current ) for redness.

One more bit of advice, the Salicyic sometimes cause rednes because of the vehicle that the Salicylic acid is dissolved in. It is only soluble in alchol, acetone and ether, so you may be sensitive to one of these chemicals. I use a 50% Gel with Aloe & Green Tea ( it is in an ethyl alchol base and even though the % is very high it causes minimal redness. it is used 2 to 3 times weekly. I can't say here where you can buy this ( it's my own product ) and I don't want to get in any trouble for pushing my own products.

Thank for your advise

Although u say it is good, this expelling of hardden sebum, it is causing new spots/redness. This is becoming the main problem now.

WIll benzoyl perioxide reduce these tiny bumps?????. I now have a lot of redness on my cheeks from 5 of these bumps recently inflamming up and have now left red marks.

I am thinking of using vbeam for the redness, and vit b5 and benzoyl perioxide for the prevention of the bumps. My skin is dry and not really oily at all. It becomes red on steaming. Should i or should i not get the bumps out by hand??

I am going to give TCA complex a go to help peel a few layer off. If u genuinely think your saliylic acid wil help, without causing redness, i would be interested in it.

Your skin does not not have to be "oily" to produce these bumps. All skin produces sebum, when the surface is dry it becomes more difficult for these lumps of sebum to pop through. If the bumps are not infected or filled with any pus or fluid the BP will not help. It will cause even more redness. It sounds to me like you are over processing your skin, this can cause the redness. Stay awy from the harsh chemicals for a while. TCA is a great product but it also will cause your skin to become red. Cleanse gently, if you do steam, don't get too close to the steam. It is just to soften the skin to allow it to be cleansed. Try resting your skin and being very gentle for a few weeks. Use a mild cleanser, exfoliate gently and if any bumps come to the surface GENTLY extract them. Try an aloe gel and use a hyaluronic acid product under your moisturizer ( make sure that Hyaluronic acid is at least the 3rd ingredient on the list, otherwise there isn't enough in it to do much good ) and most impotantly use a sunblock all the time. NO TANNING BEDS !!! Hold off on the vbeam until you try resting your skin a bit .

i'm not putting anything on it chemical wise. I do use maxfactor - compact foundation however everyday, to hide the red scars. I cannot live or go out without applying this on. Perhaps the powder is making my face dry. I will use aloe vera cream at night and use aquaous cream to wash my face with before bed.

A cortisone shot will get rid of the problem almost immediately. I had a deep pimple for about 2 weeks and went to the dermatologist for a cortisone shot in the morning and it was almost gone by afternoon, it was completely gone the next morning but it may leave a scar on some pimples.

SkinXpert~ I have alot of these clogged pores under the skin also ... mine are on my chin at the corners of my mouth and down to the bottom of my chin. They also range up to the bottom of my nose.

SO are you saying that drying out the skin... say like differin sometimes does.. is not good? Should I not use anything on that part of my face and just use moist compreses?

I have had this problem for as long as I remember and can't seem to get rid of them. They just get infected and become huge irritated whiteheads.

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks.

educate me.

how do you know if your pores are blocked? does increased oil production block pores? does topicals?

does a blocked pore only become a white head or can it become an inflamed pustule?

Let me take this one step at a time. #1 Milia are "whiteheads" they are dead skin cells and sebaceous matter (oil) that gets trapped beneath the skin. It is a disorder of the sebaceous gland. If they are not infected they appear as white hard bumps like a grain of sand under the skin. Dry skin, from harsh chemicals or over cleansing can make it harder for these to pop through the surface of the skin. This why it is important to cleanse and exfoliate gently, then moisturize with a non occlusive ( nothing to block the pores ) oil free moisturizer. It also helps to use a good quality Hyaluronic Acid gel under your moisturizer, it is not an acid that peels, it acts as a "wet blanket" to help your moisturizer hold in the moisture. It can hold up to 1000 times it's weight in water. Look for a product that contains Hyaluronic Acid as the second or third ingredient, the first will usually be water. Doing this will help the whitehead come to surface and be removed more easily. #2 Pimples form when debris clogs the opening of the pore ( blackhead ) and bacteria forms in the follicle and causes it to swell and if it ruptures into the surrounding skin causes an inflammation and/or infection which causes white blood cells to rush to the area to fight the bacteria. This takes the form of pus. If the follicle ruptures close to the surface the pimple will drain fairly easily, this is when BP or Salicylic acid is very helpful, but you should still moisturize to keep the skin soft, even though these products tend to dry out the skin. If the follicle ruptures deep in the dermis it can form an acneform cyst ( the nasty red swollen lumps ) this is when the topicals alone may not help. Sometimes an antibiotic and/or a cortisone shot is required. Squeezing or pinching pimples can cause this to happen ! Doing this can cause major scarring !!!!

Using a good cleanser that is not too harsh, toning with an astringent toner and moisturizing are all important steps in a good regimen. Other topicals are very helpful but each person responds differently,on some BP works well others Salicylic acid is best but this is trial and error to see which is best for you. When you have active acne or infected pimples stay away from harsh glycolic or TCA peels, these are meant to treat the skin after the active infection is gone. Cleansers that contain AHA/BHA products are fine because they are buffered and usually contain less than 10% Glycolic or other AHA/BHA combos. Salicylic acid is helpful with active acne because of its antibacterial properties as well as BP, but as I said each person will respond differently so you have to decide which is best for your skin. Most importantly ...NO TANNING BEDS. a sunburn will only cause more problems.

Got some tiny bumps under the skin ie hard sebum/whitehead lumps on my right temple. They do not show any change at the surface, but i know they are gonna surface one day. Is their any way to get rid of them before they emerge and inflame causing a spot?????

Will vit B5 help get a rid of them??

what about HA?/tca complex?/BP??

NB still ot sure what is good to get rid/prevent hard sebum/hard whiteheads under the skin???

thanks

THANK GOD, I FINALLY FOUND PEOPLE THAT SEEM TO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM THAT I HAVE. I HAVE LOTS OF SMALL BUMPS IN MY FACE,THAT LATER WILL TURN INTO BIG PIMPLES(WHITEHEADS SOMETIMES). WHAT CAN I DO TO GET RID OF THEM WITHOUT BREAKING OUT??? I'VE NOTICED AN INCREASE OF THEM SINCE I STARTED TAKING WHEY PROTEIN SHAKE BUT I'M NO LONGER TAKING PROTEIN SHAKE DUE TO THAT REASON. I WILL REALLY THANK YOU, IF YOU HAVE A SOLUTION, BECAUSE I WAS SERIOUSLY THINKING ON TAKING ACCUTANE .

I have tried alot of different stuff to get rid of these. I can tell you that I don't think BP works. This is probably because they are not inflamed with bacteria yet. I also use differin. In the past it has worked... probably by exfoliation, but lately nothing is helping.

I think I will try what Skinexpert said and moisturize really good on them to see if they will come up.

Mine always end up becoming inflamed too. I hope this doesn't happen.

I guess, no one has a solution for this problem. I'm going to make an appoinment with a dermatologist and see what happens......I hope accutane helps sad.gif

This problem can be controlled with proper cleansing, moisturizing and manual extraction. Your esthetician or Derm can do this for you. Accutane is very TOXIC and is only used for severe acne. Be careful !!!

cleansing, moistuising with what though???

i cleanse with a simple soap, and moistuise with oil of olay. What do u recommend???

I have been moisturizing alot, and avoiding harsh drying agents... like SA and have had a lot of the white heads come to the surface. The problem is that they are becoming red and inflamed. I continue to use my differin and carley's bp wash in the morning. My face looks horrible. I hope it's just a flare up and when they are all gone my face will calm down.

Any recommendations on what to do when they get all red to reduce the inflamation?

I'VE BEEN DOING THE SAME THING AND MY FACE LOOKS MESSED UP.............PLEASE IF YOU HAVE A SOLUTION TO GET RID OF THESE SMALL BUMPS LET ME KNOW.......I'M REALLY DEPRESSED.....LIFE'S A BITCH!!!!!!!!

Anyone have good luck with this yet? I noticed my bumps are decreasing by moisturizing 2x a day (knock on wood)

My problem is that I can't find a good moisturizer that won't break me out. It seems that the ones that are popping up aren't the ones that I can see blocked!

Any suggestions for good moisturizers.

I have read that vinegar helps with acne. Do you think it drys you out and would be worse for these clogged pores?