Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfalfa

Diet and annoying housemates

I'm very frustrated with my housemate. She is a very nice person, but her kitchen habits annoy me to no end.

She loves everything processed. Think sweetened yoghurt with sweetened flakes, cream cheese with flavoring, pre-sliced American-style white bread, pre-cooked frozen filled "baguettes", frozen pizza, etc.

Which wouldn't bother me, everyone can eat whatever they want to, but she is also lazy and when she runs out of food, so she "borrows" from me. And then in place of my organic paprica she brings me the pesticide-ridden one from the grocery store. Or in place of my organic almonds she brings me peanuts, not organic. Same with yoghurt, same with kefir, same with bread, same with butter, tea, spices, the list goes on and on.

It's not even that she's poor - she is definitely not. The girl is just lazy to no end. The organic grocery store is a 10-minute tram ride away, the regular discount grocery store is 5 minutes away by foot. So she saves 5 minutes. And she says that she "doesn't believe in all that organic stuff anyway".

And then the problem becomes, I don't want the stuff she brings me as a replacement. I have even told her that if she runs out of something, she can just take anything from me and not worry about replacing it. But she still does it.

I'm trying to eat healthy, and being on a better diet with fewer synthetic additives is definitely helping not only my acne but is giving me more energy. So I have no interest in eating the yoghurts she brings me (and I feel completely rude telling her that I won't eat any yoghurt from that grocery store). I have tried taking requests from her when I go to the organic grocery store, but she only requests a couple things, forgets the rest, "borrows" from me the next day, and then buys me a sketchy replacement the next day, of course from the discount grocery store.

I want to be diplomatic, so in that sense the answer would be to just thank her for buying a replacement, but I don't want to waste food! Is anyone else in a similar situation? I'm just running out of ideas! Should I just play up the "I'm a nice housemate, don't buy me a replacement" aspect?

Alfi

Tell her if she is going to eat your food she needs to replace it with the exact same thing. Organic food is more expensive so she is basically stealing money from you by buying a cheaper replacement item. That is ridiculous, no one should put up with that.

Should I just play up the "I'm a nice housemate, don't buy me a replacement" aspect?

Propose her to give you the money to shop for her food at the 5 minutes by foot shop.

She won't run out of stuff to eat and will have an healthy walk.

And she says that she "doesn't believe in all that organic stuff anyway".

Too bad if she believes in it or not. It's your food, you bought it, it came out of your wallet. Whether she believes in it or not, it's only right that she replaces it with what she took from you.

My sister is almost the same, but not that bad. The worst of it is, when I buy a bunch of organic food, she'll just take whatever she pleases without even asking me. However, she does repay me buy purchasing what she ate, but she thinks it's "hers too" because she bought it. It really frustrates me. I've had to hide most of my non-refrigerated foods in my room just to avoid that. But it's the fruits/veggies/organic meats/almond milk that she really goes after and those are most expensive.

Put your foot down and set some rules. Its the key to getting along with your roommates.

As long as your rules are reasonable and everyone agrees to it.

Tell her if she is going to eat your food she needs to replace it with the exact same thing. Organic food is more expensive so she is basically stealing money from you by buying a cheaper replacement item. That is ridiculous, no one should put up with that.

Organic is usually expensive, true. But she buys "top-of-the-line" synthetic things. At the discount store there are lots of different brands including generics, and she always goes for the brand name, so she is actually spending maybe only 10% less, sometimes the same. She buys Mesmer tee which costs 1.69 for 20 teabags, I buy Lebensbaum tee which costs 2 Euros for 25, so it's pretty much the same.

And she says that she "doesn't believe in all that organic stuff anyway".

Too bad if she believes in it or not. It's your food, you bought it, it came out of your wallet. Whether she believes in it or not, it's only right that she replaces it with what she took from you.

My sister is almost the same, but not that bad. The worst of it is, when I buy a bunch of organic food, she'll just take whatever she pleases without even asking me. However, she does repay me buy purchasing what she ate, but she thinks it's "hers too" because she bought it. It really frustrates me. I've had to hide most of my non-refrigerated foods in my room just to avoid that. But it's the fruits/veggies/organic meats/almond milk that she really goes after and those are most expensive.

That could be a solution - if she buys the item from me. But then I'd have to have receipts sitting around the kitchen...