Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Day One - 2/21/04

Alright, here we go!

Background info:

I am a seventeen year old female with mild acne. My skin is very healthy and nice in the areas that arent broken out, but my acne is not contained to any certain area. So when I do break out, it could be anywhere random and the red spots linger everywhere. I am so sick of waking up wondering where the next spot will appear and having to spend an hour putting on concealer all over. I am ready for a real change!

I have tried every over-the-counter product (Proactiv, Clean and Clear, OxyZit, Neutrogena, BP, SA, Zen-Med, Carley's Smooth and Clear) and a couple prescription topicals (Benzaclin and Retin-A Micro) but the acne is so stubborn! I had previously been on Dan's regimen with a little bit of success, after an initial breakout. After a month, I started to clear up, but then I went on a three day trip and ran out and now I am facing the consequences. Plus BP is such a hassle to "absorb" it all in and my skin is really dry with it. Anyways, I want to try something different and b5 looks hopeful!

B5 Treatment:

So today is my first day starting B5. I bought GNC brand 100-count Pantothenic Acid pills, 500 mg each. I will buy less expensive brands soon when I can buy online, but this is most convenient to get for now.

I am taking:10 pills of 500mg each = 5 grams

1 pill of B-Complex 100 to limit side effects

(sometimes you can get side effects from having too much of B5 and not enough of the other B-vitamins, so I've read)

1 pill Women's One-A-Day Multivitamin

Also:

I am getting good sleep, TONS of water, 1-2 cups of green tea a day and trying to eat healthier, and getting a little bit of exercise. In general, just taking care of my body.

I am using Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, Eucerin Renewal AHA lotion (amazing stuff!!), not picking at my face or rubbing my face into my pillowcase (changing my pillowcase regularly, too).

I am going to keep using Dan's regimen for a little while, depending on how effective the B5 is, to try and heal the current breakouts I have and speed up the process (if possible).

Today I noticed that my pee is already BRIGHT neon greenish-yellow, which is sort of cool in a weird way. I also have slight diarrhea, but nothing that will sway me from using B5! I'm actually kindof happy to see mild side effects already, because that means it's already absorbing into my body on the first day!

I hope this helps anyone with their own battle against acne... feel free to ask my any questions or comments, and I will be sure to keep you posted. I am also in the process of trying to get some pictures, so y'all can see where I'm at along the way. Thanks and let's hope this works!

Can't help with the gallery thing, i'm afraid.

Good luck with B5! Do you plan to go higher than 5g? I read that you have to build up the dose (maybe like you are doing) to 10g, stay on it for a while, then slow down to a maintenance doseage.

Tell me how the Green Tea goes, i'm thinking about trying some out myself(-:

Day Two - 2/22/04

Ok starting today I am taking the plunge with 10 grams a day... I know that workign slowly up to 10 grams has been recommended, but I have read posts with faster results, starting right away with 10 grams. I have no side effects (even though it's only been two days) and I would rather just get the initial breakout over with, should it choose to show up. Let's hope not.

So that's 7 with breakfast, 6 with lunch, 7 with dinner! = 20 total pills.

Face Status:

1) Oil - doesn't seem to be a huge reduction in facial oil, like I've seen people report in 24 hours, but overall my face looks healthier. Maybe it's too soon too tell and I am psyching myself into thinking it's better, but it looks smoother and healthier all over! I'm not that oily to begin with, so that's ok!

2) Breakouts - no new ones today.. but I have been expecting a few breakouts that I felt forming under the skin for the past few days... hopefully they pop up soon, as the "initial breakout" and then no more new ones! (I can only wish!!!)

3) Red Marks - Look way better today! Is it just me? I hope this is a sign of things to come! Does B5 help lessen the appearance of red marks?

Side Effects:

Just the "peeing a lot/neon pee", which is normal while on B5. So far, so good!

Also:

I loaded the pictures on my gallery ("Jess on the Regimen"). My B5 progress starts with the fifth picture (second row, second picture) - the other four were from Dan's regimen by itself. Hope they help anyone thinking about taking B5.

Day Three- 2/23/04

Face Status:

1) Oil - my face seems a tiny bit less oily, but nothing too noticeable

2) Breakouts - a couple small breakouts on right cheek and by the corner of my mouth, one below left side of the mouth (already formed and now coming to a head)... but no new ones smile.gif . Actually the ones I had on my left cheek, that were still forming below the skin surface, are way flatter, almost like they are not going to come to a head at all. If they keep flattening, will they just go away eventually or stay there below the skin surface for ... a long time??

3) Red Marks - same

Side Effects:

none

I am happy so far! If these forming breakouts just go away in the next couple of weeks, maybe I will be clear sooner than I expected... I don't see any new ones since I started B5. Maybe I am one of those lucky people who don't get an initial outbreak (these started forming last week, way before B5 got into my system). I hope I am right!!! But I don't want to jinx myself...

Day Four- 2/24/04

Face Status:

1) Oil - same

2) Breakouts - still have these same forming ones coming up, a couple on either side of mouth (small), one in middle of left cheek, one on left side of the forehead, one on left jawline and a couple about an inch above right corner of the mouth

3) Red Marks - same

Side Effects:

none

Hope that these heal soon! come on B5!

Day Six- 2/26/04

Face Status:

1) Oil - my face is less oily than normal. I am not touching up my face with power at all during the day, when I used to do it two or three times. So nice!

2) Breakouts - ok I am still having the same breakout as before, it is taking so long to fully form, and I have about 7 or 8 active pimples right now. It's kindof discouraging, but it's only been 6 days.

3) Red Marks - Less red and blotchy, starting to blend in with my skin tone. The B5 is evening out my skin tone and texture.

Side Effects:

none

Hmmm....b]

I am still using Dan's regimen, because it heals my breakouts faster then normal. But it doesn't do anything I can tell to prevent new breakouts. Is B5 finally going to take care of this?

thanks pelantire! hopefully soon I can start ordering online. I need to get some financial things settled before using my credit card online, but when I can, I will look into Swanson. thanks again!

Hi CaliforniaCA,

Yes, believe me, the B5 will help...For red marks and scars, try the 50%/50% (let's say 2 tablespoon of each) mixture of apple cider vinegar & water + throw in a couple of aspirines (ASA)...it won't disolve entirely but will help exfoliate...apply this mixture with fingers or cotton balls after you have washed & dried your face, let it dry and then apply your moisterizer...You should see a difference after a couple of days...It helps by drying your active pimples, and also for your red marks and uneaven skin by gently exfoliating...It worked miracles for me so far, REALLY...I hope it does for you too...

Day Eight- 2/29/04

Face Status:

1) Oil - this is working! way less oil on my face right now.

2) Breakouts - Even though my face has less oil on it, I am still breaking out. Less than that last breakout, but I still have a couple big painful ones near the corners of my mouth, and a few smallish ones on each cheek. My forehead is crystal clear, but it didn't breakout much to begin with. My chin is clear too, but that's normal for me. My cheeks are my problem areas, and they have a few more forming breakouts under the skin surface, too. Hopefully these are just leftover breakouts from when my skin still had it's oil production at normal levels... the oil has only been less in the past two days, so maybe now I will get less breakouts? I hope so! It's been a week, I am excited/scared to see what happens in the next couple weeks - when most people see results. If this doesn't work, I am going to wonder if anything works. My acne is super mild, but VERY stubborn! It REFUSES to go away... B5 better work!

3) Red Marks - same

Side Effects:

none

Also:

I am debating whether to keep doing Dan's regimen twice a day, or only at night. Since the B5 is reducing my skin's oil production, I am wondering whether my skin is too dry to use BP twice a day. Any input?? I value your guys' opinions a lot, thanks for replying!

linda2elve - really? sounds interesting! Will this dry out my skin or interfere with Dan's regimen?

also - it sounds like it's just for scars and red marks, not active acne, so shouldn't I wait until I am not breaking out anymore to use this?

Hi,

I'm not on Dan's regimen but I would probably not do the vinegar thing while on it...It's going to dry too much I think...Yes, it's best when acne is not active...mine still is & I find it's helping (drying the active pimples as well)...but it's just me you see...I want to get rid of the red marks & scars...I don't care about the acne since B5 is doing a great job clearing it (only 2 active yukkies)...I'm not doing anything else (like BP) so I'm not worried about dry skin right now.

Better wait 'til your acne's almost cleared & you're not on Dan's regimen anymore...I read though that the apple cider vinegar does not interfere with other treatments, it compliments it (it's AHA)...I am enclined to believe it.

It's not agressive stuff...I didn't know you were still on BP...I though you wanted to stop when you started B5...Keep us posted...

ahh I am so sorry I havent been updating! I am on my second week and nothing to report. Still oily, still braking out. I am on Botchla's Regimen for face washing, and hopefully in the "initial breakout" period, or else this is just making my skin worse! But its not that bad, anyways I'm sorry that I havent been updating, but I decided that when I analyze my skin and report it every day, all I do is worry over it and stress out about it more. So I wont be updating regularly, just on and off if there is something to report or if it's been awhile. I hope that the next time I write back, it will have been a few weeks and I can say I am clear, or at least a little more clear! Wish me luck and sorry about all this.

As a kid aged around 14, I was prescribed various topical and oral treatments for my acne. None of them had the slightest effect. I'm now 25 and for the last nine years I've had mild acne on my face and moderate acne on my back.

I've never been too keen on 'attacking' my body by applying or ingesting harsh chemicals, and it was only during a bout of depression that I decided to give the B5 thing a go. I'd read about it years ago but dismissed it out of hand; to me it sounded like a scam. But I wish I had taken the time to investiagte it more thoroughly in light of the results I've had with it over the last three weeks.

Since taking it I've not had a single breakout, starting from day one. My skin looks the best I've ever seen it, and it's still improving. An added bonus I wasn't expecting is that it also seems to be evening the tone of my skin; I'm a pale-skinned Scot so even the slightest mark is quite obvious. Where my face seems to be easily irritated (around my nose and cheeks) the ever-present pink glow is fading to match the white tone of the rest of my face.

I know that lots of people have tried B5 without any luck, and that others who've tried it have not had the same degree of success, so I don't want to get anyone's hopes up. But I do want to state for the record that it seems to be working for me. If it can work for me then it can work for others, and I'd suggest that you've nothing to lose in trying it.

I don't take the full dose that most on these boards seem to be taking. I take 2g over the course of a day (4 x 500mg tablets). One 500mg tablet every four hours approximately (with a meal and liquid).

In terms of side-effects: I've noticed that my lips seem to be a bit drier, but for all I know this is how lips are meant to be! But that's it.

I know it won't work for everyone, but I thought it important to bump this thread because I know from personal experience that it will work for some people.

Also...

For you UK bods: you don't need to order the stuff from the States over the Internet. You can get it from high street shops. I get mine from Holland and Barrett. It's sold under the name Pantothenic Acid and comes in 200mg or 500mg tablets.

It's less than a tenner for 100, 500mg tablets. At 4 per day that should see you through for almost a month.

I don't know if the forum rules allow users to post links to commercial sites so I apologise to the mods if this is a booboo....

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/fil...27&PID=208&np=3