Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeAntonio

Simple Carbs Post Workout

I've been back to lifting pretty heavy for a weeks now (45 Mins twice daily).... Problem is that I haven't been seeing as great of increases as I did previously, difference was that I was not concerned with avoiding carbs at the time

right now I only eat complex carbs but from a good amount of reading around post workout (like right away) its best to eat simple carbs because they will be fed directly to the muscle the fastest.... Downside of this is Im starting to see improvement skin wise and I dont really want another breakout

I was wondering if anyone on a low/no carb diet also weightlifts but uses a simple carb post workout or if someone in the know can cosign that statement as a fact

thanks

Yeah ive been here dude. Danny explained to me once how this all works but it is possible to eat simple sugars after a work out. In a nut shell after a work out cells are less likely to resist sugar, insulin worked better and infact sugars are needed to aid recovery by driving amino acids into the muscles to help repair. What I find worked well for me was taking 2-3 kiwis right after my workout then 10 mins later having my protein shake/supplements.

Infact Danny argued you could eat junk after a workout i.e. cookies and be alot less likely to break out and it works in theory and practice as I tried it. Obviously tho natural sugar are better as you get fiber, anti oxidents and phytonutrients from Kiwis and other fruit, also kiwis are lower sugar fruit.

Or you may consume at least 2 tablespoons of vinegar [manly cough] after ingesting simple carbs. This will dramatically resuce your insulin spikes, halving it in some cases. You may then in turn choose to consume 1-2 grams of cinnamon after every meal, for a total of 3-6 grams per day. Cinnamon reduces the amount of sugar in ones blood, as well as improve the effects of your insulin, thus allowing for enhanced sugar absorption.

I have personally tested the consumption of pure vinegar. [manly cough]

The most socially acceptable way of placing vinegar into ones stomach is through its dilution in a glass of water. But this only expands the duration of its unpleasentness. Ideally one must rapidly ingest it without having it come into contact with ones tongue and teeth. Shot glasses are thus perfect for the most rapid of swallowings. A great side-effect of vinegar consumption is the enhanced roughness of ones voice, a benefit that is sure to turn the heads of females.

lmao! I also like how ones written the above.

Yeah also you can add Chromium Picolinate to aid insulin, you can buy ACV in tablets if you cant take it very well.

Yeah ive been here dude. Danny explained to me once how this all works but it is possible to eat simple sugars after a work out. In a nut shell after a work out cells are less likely to resist sugar, insulin worked better and infact sugars are needed to aid recovery by driving amino acids into the muscles to help repair. What I find worked well for me was taking 2-3 kiwis right after my workout then 10 mins later having my protein shake/supplements.

Infact Danny argued you could eat junk after a workout i.e. cookies and be alot less likely to break out and it works in theory and practice as I tried it. Obviously tho natural sugar are better as you get fiber, anti oxidents and phytonutrients from Kiwis and other fruit, also kiwis are lower sugar fruit.

Different strokes for different folks, fruit has added benefits far beyond simple carbs. Howevr your cells will be hungry for anything so in terms of acne I guess it wont be much difference which you choose.

I don't know too much about it, but I've read that fructose can not be used like a PWO carb, as it can only be used to replenish the liver's supply, or be stored as fat. So, no table sugar or high fructose corn syrup or fruits.

Fruits would be a bad choices if they were just made of fructose.

But generally fruits have as much glucose as fructose.

So the glucose goes to replenish muscular glycogen and the fructose goes to replenish epatic glycogen.

Hey, Im really thinking about hitting the weights this week and consistently continue to be ready for summer. However, Im scared if working out will cause break outs. I been off accutane for 2-3months.

right now I only eat complex carbs but from a good amount of reading around post workout (like right away) its best to eat simple carbs because they will be fed directly to the muscle the fastest....

its better to get glucose as opposed to sucrose post workout from what I read

right now I only eat complex carbs but from a good amount of reading around post workout (like right away) its best to eat simple carbs because they will be fed directly to the muscle the fastest....

its better to get glucose as opposed to sucrose post workout from what I read

If all you're concerned about is getting glucose into your bloodstream as quickly as possible, just eat a baked potato. It has a _very_ high GI. Forget this "simple" versus "complex" silliness.

Or you may consume at least 2 tablespoons of vinegar or the juice from a fresh lemon after ingesting simple carbs. Both will dramatically resuce your insulin spikes, halving it in some cases.

Or you may consume at least 2 tablespoons of vinegar or the juice from a fresh lemon after ingesting simple carbs. Both will dramatically resuce your insulin spikes, halving it in some cases.

I think it remains to be seen whether lemon juice would have the same effect as the acetic acid in vinegar. Danny, what's your opinion on that?

I think it remains to be seen whether lemon juice would have the same effect as the acetic acid in vinegar. Danny, what's your opinion on that?

Indeed it is with confidence upon which I can say with certainty that we have never argued on that particular matter Bryan. But I do distinctly remember retinally digesting the information pertaining to the effects of lemon juice on blood sugar levels from several sources. Whilst I was originally hesistant in placing this particular piece of information into my reply, I have determined that if said element was mentioned in conjunction with the factual effects of vinegar, it could have some scientific basis. Nevertheless, if the aforementioned information reveals itself to be a complete and utter scientific fallacy, it can be removed.

In fact I shall expunge it right now, whilst I gargle pure vinegar around my tonsils and uvula. I shall have my seductively manly voice with which to woo females.

Indeed it is with confidence upon which I can say with certainty that we have never argued on that particular matter Bryan.

Do I assume correctly that you're British? :)

In a way, yet not quite. Whilst the British were former masters of my jungle island home, I did not acquire much from their brief stay, except perhaps the activity of sticking out of ones pinkie whilst one sips manly black tea.

Oh but nay, Everquest be damned, for thou shalt only find soulless heathens upon such lands. Nay I say unto thee, I haveth remained pure in heart, for I hath only placed mine handsome feet upon lands known to many as Britannia.

Ok, I've now gotten a fairly definitive word on the issue of whether or not other acids (besides the acetic acid in vinegar) can have the same effect at slowing the absorption of carbohydrates and improving insulin sensitivity. Last night I emailed the author of that vinegar study in the journal Diabetes, and got a prompt reply from her this morning. Here's the email I sent her:

"Dear Ms. Johnston, I was intrigued by your short report in the journal "Diabetes" of how vinegar given prior to a high-carbohydrate meal improved insulin sensitivity in subjects who were insulin resistant. However, an acquaintance of mine insists that ANY dietary acid (like lemon juice) would have the same effect, not just the acetic acid in vinegar. Do you agree or disagree with his claim?"

Here's her reply to me:

Hi Bryan,

This is a logical thought. But there was a study published in the Journal of Nutrition that suggested that only acetic acid has this property. This study was conducted in human Caco cells (a cell line from human intestinal cells -- so this research is 'in vitro' not 'in vivo'). These investigators tested a number of organic acids such as citric acid in addition to acetic acid (see abstract below). Only acetic acid had the inhibitory effect. Thanks for the email.

J Nutr. 2000 Mar;130(3):507-13.

"Acetic acid suppresses the increase in disaccharidase activity that occurs during culture of caco-2 cells."

Ogawa N, Satsu H, Watanabe H, Fukaya M, Tsukamoto Y, Miyamoto Y, Shimizu M.

Department of Applied Biological Chemistry, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113-8657, Japan.

To understand how blood glucose level is lowered by oral administration of vinegar, we examined effects of acetic acid on glucose transport and disaccharidase activity in Caco-2 cells. Cells were cultured for 15 d in a medium containing 5 mmol/L of acetic acid. This chronic treatment did not affect cell growth or viability, and furthermore, apoptotic cell death was not observed. Glucose transport, evaluated with a nonmetabolizable substrate, 3-O-methyl glucose, also was not affected. However, the increase of sucrase activity observed in control cells (no acetic acid) was significantly suppressed by acetic acid (P < 0.01). Acetic acid suppressed sucrase activity in concentration- and time-dependent manners. Similar treatments (5 mmol/L and 15 d) with other organic acids such as citric, succinic, L-maric, L-lactic, L-tartaric and itaconic acids, did not suppress the increase in sucrase activity. Acetic acid treatment (5 mmol/L and 15 d) significantly decreased the activities of disaccharidases (sucrase, maltase, trehalase and lactase) and angiotensin-I-converting enzyme, whereas the activities of other hydrolases (alkaline phosphatase, aminopeptidase-N, dipeptidylpeptidase-IV and gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase) were not affected. To understand mechanisms underlying the suppression of disaccharidase activity by acetic acid, Northern and Western analyses of the sucrase-isomaltase complex were performed. Acetic acid did not affect the de novo synthesis of this complex at either the transcriptional or translational levels. The antihyperglycemic effect of acetic acid may be partially due to the suppression of disaccharidase activity. This suppression seems to occur during the post-translational processing.

thanks all for posting the research etc.

Looks like Im going to take a few tablespoons of ACV with the Carbo Gain, it should benefit me and help avoid troubles that I usually face with high GI foods/drinks

appreciate the advice