Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
french girl

Spironolactone for oily scalp and skin?

Hi, I'm new here!

I'm a 33 years old woman and I have an extremely oily scalp and an oily skin in general.

My problem is I can't find anything that can reduce the oiliness of my scalp and face.

I have no acnee, I just get some zits once in a while...

My question is: Can a low dose of spironolactone make my scalp less oily? ( I wash my hair in the morning and it gets oily at the end of the after noon...and the next morning, it looks wet, it smells bad and I can't go out if I don't wash it again. ) I also have to wash my face a few times during the day ( only with water ) because it's shinny and I feel durty.

I can't stand it anymore because it makes me look kind of not so clean...and I feel yucky...

I'm not waiting for a miracle...but I would just love to be able to look clean when I am...( and with oily hair, I can't...)

Oh...I'm not on any birth control pill because I have a hystory of breast cancer and blod clots in my familly...that's why I'm thinking about spiro...anybody can help me, please?

When I take 100mgs of spiro, I can go several days without washing my hair. Otherwise, it's every other day. But before the supplements and diet changes mentioned in my signature, my hair and skin was just like you described.

I think it would probably work, but you might have trouble getting a prescription. spiro is generally only prescribed for hormonal acne and abnormal hair growth in women, and you have to have your potassium levels checked, etc, so doctors might not feel comfortable prescribing it for oil control. It never hurts to ask though! I don't know of any other products specifically for oil though. Is it just oily face and scalp, or do you find that you sweat a lot too? Because there are prescription meds you can get for that that might help.

I think it would probably work, but you might have trouble getting a prescription. spiro is generally only prescribed for hormonal acne and abnormal hair growth in women, and you have to have your potassium levels checked, etc, so doctors might not feel comfortable prescribing it for oil control. It never hurts to ask though! I don't know of any other products specifically for oil though. Is it just oily face and scalp, or do you find that you sweat a lot too? Because there are prescription meds you can get for that that might help.

Well, in june 2006, an endocrinologist did gave me a prescription for 100mg spiro + yasmin BCP because of my oily scalp and also because I was having hairloss...

He said my hormones were quite normal but he thought I was very sensible to male hormones. ( hey, sorry for my bab english!!! :ninja: I'm french!!!)

In the same week, I found a lump in my breast so I decided not to take any medication before I had a biopsy because I was afraid it was cancer ( 2 of my cousins have breast cancer so...) Anyway...I did have a lot of health problem after that so I never took those pills.

Now, almost 2 years later, I can't stand my oily scalp and skin anymore so I'm ready to try it...but here in Quebec, it can take very long time and efforts to be able to see an endo so that is why I will try to get a prescription with my familly doctor. But I fear she won't give it to me because I'm a pro at hidding my problems so everytime she saw me I was looking clean, fresh and normal...uurrgghhh...

To answer Kcr question, no, I don't sweat a lot...my problems are very very very oily scalp, oily skin, very large pores and black heads and a little bit of hairloss...oh and I have to wax the hair above my lip so often!!! I drink a lot of water, eat lots of fruits and vegetables, I do elliptical training etc and nothing seems to help the oil problem...