Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ptunya

What the deuce is this?

Delicate and painful subject, for the ladies.

Since starting accutane I've noticed my 'lady parts' have become very tempermental. I'd get itchy and have odors, and then the skin down there would start peeling and stung when I washed or wiped. Up to this point I've never had problems or used any feminine products (I'm 28, so that's pretty good). I asked my derm if the accutane could be causing this and she said no.

So I tried treating for yeast infection (no), using feminie wipes (nope), taking two showers a day (oooh my skin is so dry now), used a feminie cream (stung like crazy), only wearing baggy pants (comfy, but no dice), every thing I could think of but nothing helped.

Over the past weekend it got so bad that I felt like I had paper cuts all over and could hardly sit or walk. I went to a clinic, they took a look and had no idea what it was. He said the skin was inflamed and red, and would fall off when he touched it. He took a bunch of swabs and tests and prescribed an antibiotic, antifungal, and steriod which I started taking immediately. I'm feeling much better now (3 days later) but not 100%.

So my question to you ladies is - WTF is going on? Do any of you have peeling, itching, burning skin down there? If so, did you find a reason for it or do you think it was the accutane?

A few things about me, if this helps with "diagnosis":

I'm 28 year old female, 120 lbs

I'm on month 4 of accutane at 160mg/day

I'm married (3 years) and this isn't an std

I shower daily and only use water to clean the little lady

I'm not allergic to anything except aspirin

I'm a vegetarian and healthy eater

THANK YOU for your help!!!

Delicate and painful subject, for the ladies.

Since starting accutane I've noticed my 'lady parts' have become very tempermental. I'd get itchy and have odors, and then the skin down there would start peeling and stung when I washed or wiped. Up to this point I've never had problems or used any feminine products (I'm 28, so that's pretty good). I asked my derm if the accutane could be causing this and she said no.

So I tried treating for yeast infection (no), using feminie wipes (nope), taking two showers a day (oooh my skin is so dry now), used a feminie cream (stung like crazy), only wearing baggy pants (comfy, but no dice), every thing I could think of but nothing helped.

Over the past weekend it got so bad that I felt like I had paper cuts all over and could hardly sit or walk. I went to a clinic, they took a look and had no idea what it was. He said the skin was inflamed and red, and would fall off when he touched it. He took a bunch of swabs and tests and prescribed an antibiotic, antifungal, and steriod which I started taking immediately. I'm feeling much better now (3 days later) but not 100%.

So my question to you ladies is - WTF is going on? Do any of you have peeling, itching, burning skin down there? If so, did you find a reason for it or do you think it was the accutane?

A few things about me, if this helps with "diagnosis":

I'm married (3 years) and this isn't an std

I shower daily and only use water to clean the little lady

I'm not allergic to anything except aspirin

I'm a vegetarian and healthy eater

THANK YOU for your help!!!

That's kind of what I think is going on - the accutane made my skin susceptible to infection by the good yeast and bacteria that are naturally there, and it just got out of hand. Maybe I managed to scratch myself with rough toilet paper or something?

Diaper cream, that's not a bad idea! haha :)

Sounds very uncomfortable! You may already be doing this, but I would recommend wearing only cotton underwear until it clears up (traps less moisture), and sleep nekkid for a while to air out :D

Considering lady parts consist of "mucus membrane" and acutane being something I've heard dries your body out, it may be possible it's just a reaction to drying. I think you should check with your doctor to make sure it's ok to take the accutane! If it's causing that bad side affects you could always try something like spironolactone instead. OMG, accutane sounds more horrible with everything I read about it! Good luck and I hope you're ok. :wub:

From what I've read on this board, Accutane will dry you out everywhere :doh:

Seems strange your derm wouldn't have copped to that fact, but then again, lots of highly trained doctors remain ignorant of many of the side-effects of the drugs they prescribe.

It does indeed sound like an irritation that could have escalated into a fungal infection of some sort.

There was another post the other day from a male who was experiencing drying around his foreskin... I will say to you what I said to him. Try olive oil in the shower... this will probably only work once any possible fungus has been cleared up though...

I have used olive oil to treat my psoriasis. I just massage it into the affected areas while showering. Works like a charm.

Hope you feel better soon!

So sorry you are going through this! But it does sound like dry inflamed diaper rash skin. Stick with the drs regime, and continue to wear loose clothing.

Holy dear jesus, I'm surprised nobody else has called your attention to this but your are taking about 4 times more accutane than recommended for someone your size.

160MG PER DAY?!!!!!!!

I'm surprised that your "lady parts" is the only problem your having. The most I have ever seen anybody prescribed is 120mg per day and that is for people that weigh more than 120lbs and have SEVERE acne. Taking that much accutane at your weight is a BAD, BAD, BAD idea!

I'm a guy....but this is sorta like what I have...

I have a post about this around here called "little red bumps on inner thigh" or something... it may not sound like the same thing but last time i got it it was sorta lie you were saying.

Wow, thank you so much for all the input! I will definitely try the olive oil and sleeping naked (my husband will be happy when he gets home from work, haha).

I was really surprised that my derm didn't see a connection either. It seems so obvious that it would be related. I also asked her about my dosage, which does seem super high, and she said it's their normal regime - start at 40mg and go up another 40 every month. I don't have severe acne, just extremely persistant (15 years). She'll probably be upping me to 200mg/day for month 5 if all of my acne hasn't gone away...I'm starting to rethink my choice of doctors!

I'm on total medication overload right now - accutane, bcp, valtrex (to control cold sores during the tane), lamictal (not acne related), and now the antibiotic, antifungal, and steriod. All together 12 pills a day!!! Ugh. I hate pills, don't even like to take advil or multivitamins. BUT it has got so much better since Saturday so I guess it's worth the temporary yuckiness.

I have an appt. with my gyno tomorrow, hopefully she'll be able to tell me what it is/was.

Oh! She also told me that accutane was only available in 40mg capsules, but I've read posts from people taking dosages that are NOT multiples of 40. I'm on claravis, anyone else on this one get pills other than 40mg ones? I'd really like to decrease the amount of packaging I go through if possible, my quest to get rid of acne is destroying the environment! :P

Oh! She also told me that accutane was only available in 40mg capsules, but I've read posts from people taking dosages that are NOT multiples of 40. I'm on claravis, anyone else on this one get pills other than 40mg ones? I'd really like to decrease the amount of packaging I go through if possible, my quest to get rid of acne is destroying the environment! :P

160mg- 200mg/day??? YIKES!!! question: are you planning in destroying your liver and your skin? Your "lady parts" seem to be gettin the hardest punch from that dose. It is definitely due to the high dosage you are taking.

Accutane suppresses immune system and dries EVERYTHING out. It's harder on the most sensitive of skin parts (down there)

You should definitely get a second opinion from a doctor or something. Did she even mention or know anything about a "cumulative dosage" ??? and you have just mild acne? oh boy.

I have a question...is your acne even completely clear? I started at 10mg...and am working my way up in multiples of 10mg! Why on earth are you on such a high dose! You say your liver function is ok..but if your doctor is as ignorant to put you on 160mg...maybe he/she doesnt know how to read your blood and urine results correctly as well! Please go seek another medical doctor..or call the ipledge number and ask them if your dose is even legal...i mean 200mg...your body will shut down! No wonder your on so many meds and your in so much discomfort! PLEASE...dont allow your derm to put you on 200mg.

I just did the math and I'm at a little over 2.9mg/kg/day on my current dose - ak!

My acne is not completely clear yet. I still have some of the little white bumps and I occasionally get inflamed zits (usually for a reason, like when I pull an all-nighter working) but nothing near as bad as it used to be. I would say it was moderate (inflamed, left some permanent scarring) not mild, but definitely not severe enough to require a higher dose.

I went to drugs.com and I think I know why she told me that now. I was asking if there were higher dosage pills I could take to cut down on the amount of packaging I was going through - taking two 80's a day instead of four 40's would cut it in half! I'm a tree hugger, what can I say. But I guess the highest is 40mg capsules, hopefully that explains her answer. Otherwise I'd say I'm in a great deal of danger at the hands of someone prescribing accutane without fully understanding the drug!!!

Sadly enough, I'm afraid to stop taking it or cut back on my own. I've had acne for so long (15 years) and this is the first thing that has actually worked. You understand the lengths we'll go to find the magic bullet. *sigh* :(

I have my 2nd doc's appointment today, so I'll find out what the verdict is and ask her what she thinks about my dose.

Got some answers!

I went to my normal doctor yesterday and she confirmed that this was an irritation that escalated into a fungal infection. I asked her if the irritation could have been caused by accutane and she said - get ready - "oooh yes, absolutely." I couldn't believe it, a doctor actually made the connection between accutane and skin issues. She gets a gold star!! lol

Anyway, she told me to go ahead and finish out the diflucan/amox/steriod cocktail I'm on now just to be safe. Since it's been happening off and on since I started accutane, I asked how I could prevent this in the future, preferably without medication. She told me to:

1. Start taking some sort of healthy bacteria daily (after I'm done with the antibiotic), either as yogurt with active cultures (soy for me, I can't do dairy) or the acidophilous tablets, and

2. Treat for a yeast infection at the first sign of trouble - which is weird because it's not a yeast infection on the inside, it's the skin on the outside, but...eh, I'll try it anyway, what the heck. At least it's not another pill!

I asked her about my dosage too. She said it seemed really high and that getting a second opinion would be a really good idea. I also asked my pharmacist, and he was surprised at the dosage too (even though they've been filling it for 4 months now, how does that work? haha). Looks like it's time for me to make another appointment.

Oh, she also confirmed that my liver function looks great. I think it must have super powers to survive all this. :P

Thank you so much for your help and input, hopefully this can help anyone else having this problem!!!

P.S. - I also mentioned another problem I've been having since before starting accutane - occasional BAD bad stomach aches that radiates around to my back on both sides and last only about 10 minutes. She told me to drink a big glass of warm water when I feel it coming on to help get the intestines moving instead of cramping. ANOTHER MEDICATION-FREE SOLUTION - I love this lady!!!

I'm a male and I've had Jock's itch few weeks back, plus the fungal infection of the bellybutton.

Accutane does thin your skin to make you more susceptible to infections, plus you sweat more while you're on accutane which breeds fungal infections.

Hey there -

I'm sorry you are having some problems down north.... It can be uncomfy for sure....

Accutane does kinda effect EVERYTHING. I was on much lower dose, and did get dry there and in my butt. I also did get a yeast infection and UTI while on Tane. Which I've never had before. From what the Dr. said it can get so dry down there it is a harboring ground for bacteria. Keeping the area(s) lubed with either vaseline or vagisil for the front and either vaseline or preparation H for the back. One thing, did you say you are on 160mg Accutane a day? If so, this is extremely high for your weight. Normal prescribing dose is .5- 1mg per KG of weight . You are about 60kg in weight, therefore should be taking taking about 60mg day. This may be why your skin/body parts etc. are having strong side effects. Are you flushing and is your face red and irritated? Body? If so, I'd ask your Derm. to drop down the dose. Persistent flushing and redness on high dose Accutane can cause Rosacea - a permanent skin disorder. Please don't wait for issues to crop up and get worse as they can last well past Tane. You will find most folks here have success (including myself) but others have had more severe side effects from very high doses.

Take care.

Yvette

You know, that's a really good connection! I have noticed that I've been sweating more, and moisture does breed bacteria and yeast (and ewwwww...lol). What did you do for yours?

Hey -

Just read a few of your other recent posts where you realized the dosage was high. Please talk to your Derm. right away..... I'm not a Derm., but have a Health background, and this dose is nearly triple the recommended dose. You should be at 60mg day at 1mg per KG. Your Accutane leaflet that came with the prescription should have the prescribing information and guidelines listed as well. If you can't reach your Derm. right away, consider reducing the dose (better to reduce dose than increase on Accutane).

We're all looking out for you. Take care.

Yvette

Thank you Yvette, I'm sorry you had these problems too! My face is pretty red. It gets especially flushed after I wash it or touch it. I've always had a pink tint to my skin (my husband says I'm a lovely rosy shade, lol) and my face and my chest haven't come anywhere near matching in years. But my face has been extra "pink" since starting accutane. I've been using one sort of acne treatment or another off and on for 15 years now, so I wonder if the damage is done?

I've been mixing some of the Everyday Minerals mint concealer in with my bare minerals foundation to help even it out for now, but I don't want this to be permanent. Grrrr.