Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mandarie

Horrible Bruise

:boohoo:

This morning I was walking out of my bathroom and somehow hit my hipbone against the doorknob. It hurt so bad I thought I was going to pass out. My focus got all fuzzy and my head started ringing. I had to lay down till I felt better. It started bleeding too but not much so I put a band-aid on it. I am so scared to look at though because I bet it is the worst bruise ever! Is there anything I can do to make it better besides waiting it out? Is it possible I did worse damage than just bruise the skin?

It if hurt that badly, you might have slightly fractured your hip bone. I think if it was broken, the pain would have driven you to go to the hospital.

When I fractured my toe (I kicked a shoe, but it was the bed's leg =P), my toe hurt just as you described. Afterwards, I laid on the bed... and people couldnt even sit on the bed... or wiggle the bed... without my toe uncontrolably aching.

It was purple the next day... and the skin was slightly numb.

Its so sore when you bang your hip on a door handle, :injured:

Just to be precautious i would visit a doc as it is a very fragile part of the body..

Because the bruising seems pretty extreme.

Fingers crossed its not a chipped bone.

Thank you for your replies. Ya'll are very kind. I am pretty disposed to worry so after freaking out about a hip fracture (google-ing brought up things about needing screws put in, etc), I found this which sounds more plausible if anything did happen:

Definition: A hip pointer is an injury to the pelvis caused by a direct blow, often seen in contact sports such as football.

What happens when an athlete gets a hip pointer?

A hip pointer is an injury is to the iliac crest, the bony prominence that can be felt along the waist line. When someone sustains a hip pointer injury, the bone and overlying muscle can be bruised.

In more serious cases of hip pointer, the hit can be so severe that a fracture of the bone results. While the treatment may not change, a fracture will likely cause a delay in healing and more painful symptoms.

What is the treatment of a hip pointer?

Treatment of a hip pointer is best accomplished with rest. Ice applications and anti-inflammatory medication will also help, but only time will heal the injury. X-rays may be taken if a fracture is suspected.

I highly doubt you fractured your hip by hitting on a door knob. Unless you are like 65 yrs/old or havie very weak bones, then you probably just bruised it. I have slammed on my hip skateboarding so many times, to the point i could barely walk for a week and never fractured it. Im sure you will be fine!

I highly doubt you fractured your hip by hitting on a door knob. Unless you are like 65 yrs/old or havie very weak bones, then you probably just bruised it. I have slammed on my hip skateboarding so many times, to the point i could barely walk for a week and never fractured it. Im sure you will be fine!

Yeah, it's supposed to take a lot to fracture a hip/pelvic bone if you have strong bones. At least that's what I was told when I did it in a horse accident.

yeah it's probably a hip pointer. I Get them at least twice a year in hockey and football. it takes awhile to hear cause of the the blistering under the skin and the bruising on the bone. if you hit it again in the same spot it will hurt like hell, so watch out! :wall: