Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SnowTrees

What is this?

Hey guys! I just joined this and I've learned so much already.

Anyways, I've read the descriptions of the different types of scars on the FAQ, but I am still confused as to what I have. There are these two types of bumps around my nose for one year or so now. One is rather small and sharply raised, while the other one is a bigger and rounder (pics below).

Sometimes they go down a bit after using some acne treatments (not the regiment), but they never go away completely. So any idea as to whether or not these are scars? Thanks a lot.

post-71575-1203361626_thumb.jpg

post-71575-1203361632_thumb.jpg

post-71575-1203361636_thumb.jpg

post-71575-1203361626_thumb.jpg

post-71575-1203361632_thumb.jpg

post-71575-1203361636_thumb.jpg

Looks like hypertrophic scarring, try mederma and make sure it only goes on the raised scars and not on any of your good skin as it breaks down collagen I think.

I have them.

They aren't scars (Not in my case anyway). Still not sure what they are, but one Dr. knew what they were, but she wouldn't tell me at that time. I'm going back to see her soon, so I'll let you know what she says.

You're lucky - I have more of them than I can count. That said, I know it sucks having them at all.

They can be sebaceous hyperplasia, but mine aren't.

Wow fast replies, thanks guys.

Well, I am glad they aren't scars. They don't look like scars. But I wonder what your doctor has in mind, Anti - Em. And do you know any way to treat sebaceous hyperplasia?

That looks like what I had burnt off my nose today. My derm called it sebaceous hyperplasia. She used an electrode-type thing and burnt them off! Her assistant said she had the similar thing done and was very pleased with the results so I went for it. It smelled like burning skin for a while but now the areas she treated are just a little puffy- I even went to class less than an hour after she treated me. She did a few on my nose, one beside my nose and two above an eyebrow.

They billed my insurance and I'm sure it'll get denied. I'll let you guys know how much it ends up costing.

These don't look like scars to me either, which doesn't mean they won't turn into scars.

They look like fever blisters or cold sores and yes you can get them on your nose - but they do go away. This could be a rash/ allergic reaction. I had soemthing like this ones - my dermatolgoist was baffled - when I used retiin-a on them they went away. She denied that this was possible. Doctors shesh.

Do they go away ans come back? Or have the same ones been there all year?

That looks like what I had burnt off my nose today. My derm called it sebaceous hyperplasia. She used an electrode-type thing and burnt them off! Her assistant said she had the similar thing done and was very pleased with the results so I went for it. It smelled like burning skin for a while but now the areas she treated are just a little puffy- I even went to class less than an hour after she treated me. She did a few on my nose, one beside my nose and two above an eyebrow.

They billed my insurance and I'm sure it'll get denied. I'll let you guys know how much it ends up costing.

Those are indeed hypertrophic scars, you can get a kenalog(steriod) injection from your derm and for the color if there is any pigmentation you can get a pulsed dye laser such as the vbeam, sterioid should flatten them after one to two treatments.

I have these things too. I don't know what they are. They are very troublesome and disfiguring and I hate them.