Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_MaGic_DuSt_

raw food diet?

What I mean more is if you toally go raw then your going to inevitably neglect building. Now as much as protein has its problems as it slows down bowel transit so much and over cooked protein is hard for the body to deal with its important. Its named Protein and translates as 'first' and is crucial for the body and brain chemistry. I dont believe that a diet full of incomplete protein is the best for the body or brain. Nearly everything forms from proteins, in time it will breakdown muscle thus breaking itself down due to lack of calories and building blocks. However raw diets done correctly can be maintained for years and youll notice you hardly ever get low energy or even common colds. Bone density will increase, the bowels will be less toxic and the higher anti oxidents will reduce or even stop aging. Maybe to the point when your old and gray youll be sane and incontrol of motor skills such as tribal folk who stick to a natural diet. Yes even they cook food but they sure as hell dont use a microwave.

Glad to hear you're feeling healthier on a raw food diet, but did you ever consider that it was possibly just because you cut out all the complete junk food that you feel so much healthier? For instance, I would imagine that you could probably go back to eating healthfully prepared meat now and you wouldn't start feeling any worse. Do you think that the lack of meat in your diet is the thing that made you start feeling better?

I think a lot of this stuff comes down to individual body chemistry/metabolic type. I know I personally have tried being various combinations of raw/vegan/vegetarian a number of times, and it has never worked for me beyond the initial cleansing phase. I CANNOT thrive on a diet that is devoid of animal fat and protein.

A few years ago I ate a "high raw" vegetarian diet for about five months. During that time I watched my body shed excess weight, my complexion improved (did not clear altogether), my mood was FANTASTIC, and I had a lot of energy at first. I also experienced some awful digestive upsets and, as time went on, an increasing (yet difficult to describe) bodily sensation which I can only describe as a feeling of weakness combined with the NEED to eat meat. It was like no matter how much hummus I ate, I was never satisfied. Even if my stomach felt full, I was still hungry. When I did finally break down and start eating meat again (against the advice of all my raw and yogi acquaintances), the gnawing hunger went away.

My experience thus far indicates that for me personally, a diet that includes fruits and veggies (raw AND cooked), root vegetables, brown rice, raw dairy, and organic/free-range/naturally raised meat is what my body thrives on. I really believe that I am healthier with the animal products on my plate.

I know the whole raw thing is very seductive and I'm sure it CAN work for some people, but make sure you listen to your body and don't automatically write every unpleasant symptom off as proof that you are "detoxing." I BELIEVE in natural detoxification but I don't think it's natural or healthy to switch to a diet which causes many people to accept chronic digestive upsets as a way of life.

Whew! Sorry for the rant. :)

I do think too big a deal is made out of protein. I wonder if apes shit themselves about the lack of protein they get from not eating meat... :)

Apes have got large amounts of bacteria in their gut that synthesize animal protein for them. They must also eat their own stool to get all the nutrients from their food. When kept in captivity they seem to loose the ability to produce their own animal protein (a change in bacterial flora in their gut) and they must be fed meat or other animal products such as milk to be able to reproduce.

So even if you have the digestive system of an ape you must either:

A) Live in the wild and eat your own shit.

B) Live in captivity and eat meat.

I tried all raw once, and it wasn't so great for me. For one thing, it limited too many foods for me like beans/legumes and many vegetables. I don't do so well with raw veggies though, unless they're blended, so that could be a factor. I do think it's possible to eat a healthy, well-balanced, raw food diet, but I think it takes a lot more work. I believe in a half raw/half cooked diet. Here is a great article on explaining the benefits of also including cooked foods into your diet: http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/healt...food-diets.html I must mention though that there are some *awesome* raw food recipes out there that blow traditional vegetarian dishes out of the water!! Some good sites with recipes to check out are: www.goneraw.com, www.therawtable.com, gliving.tv/greenchefs, www.alissacohen.com, and www.rawguru.com/rawfoodrecipes.html.

I do think too big a deal is made out of protein. I wonder if apes shit themselves about the lack of protein they get from not eating meat... :)

Apes have got large amounts of bacteria in their gut that synthesize animal protein for them. They must also eat their own stool to get all the nutrients from their food. When kept in captivity they seem to loose the ability to produce their own animal protein (a change in bacterial flora in their gut) and they must be fed meat or other animal products such as milk to be able to reproduce.

Best response ever - sorry I didn't think I was in a 'what's the best response to a posting' competition. Otherwise I might have tried harder.
Best response ever - sorry I didn't think I was in a 'what's the best response to a posting' competition. Otherwise I might have tried harder.

Nothing like that. I was just commenting on the amusement factor of his post. =)

Your responses have been great. Thanks for them.

I don't doubt tha tyou have problems over the concept of a raw diet and I don't argue about the ability of humans to adapt or not - infact I'm not sure how that got brought in to this conversation?
I don't take any B12 supplements. I trust that when my body needs or wants something it will tell me and I will listen to it. I never get up in the morning and ask myself "Shit, what's my Vitamin A level like today, I'll need to make sure I get enough of...?". That to me would be entirely stressful. My body is happy and fine just now, until it tells me otherwise I'll keep doing what I'm doing...
I don't take any B12 supplements. I trust that when my body needs or wants something it will tell me and I will listen to it. I never get up in the morning and ask myself "Shit, what's my Vitamin A level like today, I'll need to make sure I get enough of...?". That to me would be entirely stressful. My body is happy and fine just now, until it tells me otherwise I'll keep doing what I'm doing...

Hey LollyPolly! I just quickly scanned this over and am very concerned that you're not taking b12! When vegan, it's "imperative" to supplement with b12 on a regular basis - whether you think your body is telling you to or not, because this nutrient is missing from a vegan diet. Whatever information you have been using lately to inform you about the raw food diet I am very disappointed in for not getting this very important message across. Most raw food books on nutrition address this in a pretty big way. If you google "raw food" and b12, you'll find hundreds of articles on this. It does take a while for deficiencies to develop, but it's still not something to mess around with. Perhaps you're still eating animal products? If not, I hope you'll run out and get some b12 soon! :) I don't ever plan on being 100% vegan, and the b12 issue is one of the reasons, even though I supplement with it (I just take it in my daily multi-vitamin). Below is a quote from Dr. Joel Fuhrman about b12 - it's a little harsh, but that probably just reflects how serious this is.

....anyone who prescribes a 100 percent raw vegan diet without Vitamin B-12 supplementation is irresponsible because the majority of people in the long run (over period of 10 to 20 years) will develop a B-12 deficiency. Which can manifest as heart disease. Some famous vegans--like T.C. Fry, a popular promoter of a raw vegan diet have died of severe B-12 deficiency. I saw his blood test results near his death.

B-12 deficiency disease can cause little or no symptoms until irreversible damage occurs, but very often the neurologic difficulties are reversible. I have seen vegan patients who could no longer walk unassisted, gain back their ability to walk, after treatment with B-12. The proper blood test to ascertain whether you have B-12 deficiency or not is an MMA (methlymalonic acid).

has anybody tried or follow this this?

the benefits of the raw food diet are:

- Increased energy

- Improved skin appearance

- Better digestion

- Weight loss

- Reduced risk of heart disease

Raw dieters are not dropping lies.

But some of them are indeed a bit underweight, undermuscles and fatigued.

The healthiest raw dieters I have seen are those that get the bulk of their calories from nuts.

Dr. Virginia Vetrano is almost 80 and still in perfect health, looking younger, full of energy and into sport and exercise. She has been a raw vegan for 40 years.

When she noticed that in the raw food quarters (Natural Hygiene) many raw fooders were getting sick and losing energy or developing malnutrition she made some analysis and noticed that many of them were lacking essential fats, proteins (were developing kwashiorkor and edemas)

She then wrote of book explaining why they needed to drop the extremely high sweet fruit diet and consume more nuts. She explained how after she introduced a good amount of nuts in the diet of the unhealthy raw foodists she saw on a daily basis their health returned and their ailments disappeared.

Tom Billings is an old aquaitance of mine and before starting his website he was psychotically trolling all raw foods boards and harassing people. Billing followed a diet of only oranges from Florida. The soil of Florida is one of the most depleted in the whole USA but a diet of only fruit is a no no even for the high-fruit raw foodists and a diet of only one kind of fruits expecially a citrus one is way more than a no no. Billing was always tired, lethargic, his teeth were eroding, he developed enema, lost a lot of weight and much more. But the diet he was following was insane to begin with. He would have obtained the same unhealthy results if he attempted a melted butter only diet even though it would have been neither raw nor vegan.

Tom Billing as a matter of fact is still consuming a vegan diet and eating 75% raw.

Many raw foodists have noticed that they can preserve the beneficial effects of a raw food diet while avoiding the cons or hardest aspects by consuming a percentage of the diet raw and a percentage cooked.

If a supplemented with B12 and maybe a multi (which I believe everyone regardless of diet should take to secure against the not perfect status of our modern foods) works for a person and he/she has good energy, strength, body composition, look and blood works are okay all the best to him/her.

Personally I think the 100% raw diet is like throwing the baby with the bathwater.

Certain veggies that are very nutritious can be eaten in big amount or made edible only trhough cooking. Cooking would not make these foods unhealthy or form unhealthy substance but would allow one to have a further great source of nutrients that would be forbidden in the raw diet.

Yeh 100% is hard and Ive tried. Im much happier being min 50% raw 50% cooked or around 60%-40% in favour similar to our blood ph is slightly more alkaline.