Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
his pumpkin

*my accutane log* w/pics in gallery

hi, i felt the need to start my log b/c i've read so many other logs on this site. if not for reading the other logs, i would've never decided to start accutane. i also wanted to start my own log for support & interact w/others that have been on this medicine.

i'm a 26/f & i have mod-sev acne. & geeze, i think i've had acne ever since i was 13. nothing & i mean nothing ever worked. so this is my last resort...i plan to get married next year. i want to be a bride w/a clear face!! so i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

so here i am on DAY 20: my lips & face are sooooo very dry, my eyes have been dryer than before starting accutane, however, i still wear contacts daily (i just take them out much earlier than i normally would.) i've had about 4 nosebleeds since day 7. i think my face looks better than before i started, however, maybe that's just my mind playing tricks on me b/c no one has said anything to me yet about it. i've been drinking water like crazy (therefore going to the bathroon way too often). oh i can't forget to mention the muscle aches i've been getting. sometimes i feel like i've been in a car accident. today i felt so lethargic. ugh.

thanks for reading & i hope to update this log as much as possible. if anyone ever wants to chat, please feel free to contact me! i will work on getting pics up.

weight: 125 lbs

DAY 22: just took tylenol to try to subside this terrible headache i have right now. dry lips are getting so annoying. my lips are literally just peeling off...looks awful. lots & lots of blackheads....eww. i still don't know if my face is better or worse. very blotchy, that's for sure. i wish i had more energy. i just feel like such a lump. at least my back hasn't been killing me yesterday or today. let's see, what else....my face gets so very tight after i wash it in the morning & night. wake up very dry, i put aloe on the other night & that seemed to make me feel better. i understand why people say they don't need to wash their hair as much, that's one of the side effects i can live w/very easily. i haven't noticed any other parts of my body besides my face, head & lips getting dry though..shouldn't that have kicked in by now?

need to get my bloodwork done wednesday or thursday.. hope there's no problems.

DAY 23: as i'm sitting here before i leave for work reading other tane logs, i get a nosebleed! these are so annoying. i get them so randomly. thankfully, only once (out of 5 times) was i at work. i closed the door to my office & then once i got it under control, just ran straight to the bathroom & stood in a stall. one of my tane fears...is to be in a meeting & get a damn nosebleed. what would i say?

it hurts to open my mouth up all the way. i have this area in the corner of my mouth that just looks disgusting. almost like i have a cold sore. other than that, it looks like my face is under control. i'm still waiting for someone, anyone to say (even my fiance) that i'm looking better. maybe they would think it's rude. especially since no one at work knows i'm on this med. in the meantime, i'm dreaming of the day that i will clear... dream of the day that i won't avoid mirrors or hide behind my hair..

DAY 23: as i'm sitting here before i leave for work reading other tane logs, i get a nosebleed! these are so annoying. i get them so randomly. thankfully, only once (out of 5 times) was i at work. i closed the door to my office & then once i got it under control, just ran straight to the bathroom & stood in a stall. one of my tane fears...is to be in a meeting & get a damn nosebleed. what would i say?

it hurts to open my mouth up all the way. i have this area in the corner of my mouth that just looks disgusting. almost like i have a cold sore. other than that, it looks like my face is under control. i'm still waiting for someone, anyone to say (even my fiance) that i'm looking better. maybe they would think it's rude. especially since no one at work knows i'm on this med. in the meantime, i'm dreaming of the day that i will clear... dream of the day that i won't avoid mirrors or hide behind my hair..

Hi Pumpkin - I haven't been on accutane long at all (3 days -- 30 mg) but I have been putting a little vaseline up each nostril before bed and then in the morning after I get up. No nosebleeds or any blood coming out when I blow my nose. I hope doing that would help you too. Is it your lips that are sore or the skin around them? I already have a ton of chapstick because I've always had a chapstick fettish. (emptied out my purse one time and found over 30.... I have issues.... :whistle: ) Anywho - my lips are absolutely fine so far, knock wood. I have been using the Vaseline Lip Therapy, Chapstick, Aveeno Lip Moisturizer (smells really yummy), Mary Kay Satin Lips balm, and a chapstick with a funny name of Chicken Poop. This does not have Chicken Poop in it, it's all natural and works freaking wonders. I found it once at Walgreens and then had to order it on drugstore.com. I think the key has been applying something to my lips ALL the time. I make it easy because I have placed lip stuff everywhere so that if I see it, I stick it on. I'm expecting the cracked lips to happen eventually, but I'm not going down without a fight! I too dream of the day I'll be clear. For some reason, I can't even picture my face that way... Guess I'll just have to settle for the real thing when it happens, right? :dance: I've read a lot of your posts and you are so kind and helpful to so many others. I hope this helps you a little. Hang in there! :D

thanks for posting my my log...i really appreciate it. i will definitely go out tomorrow & buy some vaseline & try sticking it up my nose. i'll let you know how i make out...thankfully, i've been ok for the past 2 days.

regarding my lips, they're irritated around the lips & on them. i seem to be putting on chapstick every 10 minutes. i talk a lot in my job & i tend to feel like lips get so dry in the middle of my conversations! i wonder what people are thinking sometimes. i'm going to need to try that aveeno lip moisturizer. my fiance hates the smell of the burts ones i use!

good luck w/your course. you'll have to keep updating me on your progress. i'm taking 40 mgs a day.

DAY 25: major headache today. runny nose. looking flushed. :blush: lips coming apart. face falling off. what's new?

as for my acne, i see a big one coming up in the middle of my forehead. the blackheads are just covering my nose..when should i expect these to come out on their own??

i decided that the 1st person that mentions that my face is looking better (or in different words..), i will jump up & just hug them. i'm so serious.

finally went for my bloodwork today. why are those places always so mobbed? the wait was obnoxious! but it's done & hopefully the dr. won't see anything out of whack w/my results.

Hi hun im sorry to hear your having a few complications can i suggest a few things that might help?

Use vaseline on your lips not chapstick and use vaseline all the time and i mean all the time never let your lips go dry my lips are constantly glistening with vaseline and if they ever go dry i apply tons more i havent had a problem with my lips at all and im on day 22 i think?! with headaches they could be caused by dry eyes buy some eye drops to moisturise them i got some they only cost me like £1.10 and i use them every morning and my headaches have gone remmeber to drink plenty of water too. my hair was also looking dry and fluffy and brittle and so bought the leave in conditioner for my hair and my hairdresser yestetrday said how healthy my hair was looking!

I think the thing to remember is accutane is drying out your entire body so you need to moisturise all the places that would normally have moisture like skin on body and face,lips,eyes and leave in conditioner in your hair i have been doing this all the time and i havent had any bad side effects. i def can see tho that if i hadnt been using vaseline,moisturiser,leave in conditioner and eye drops i would be feeling terrible too.

Hope that helps and good luck keep going xxx ;)

I can't believe you already have nosebleed on the first month, I didn't have it until the last month. I would definitely have tissue with me wherever i go, in case of blood start dripping down.

I would highly recommend Aquaphor, I think it works better than chapstick(but different people have different preference). I feel like chapstick doesn't really get absorb into the lips as much as the aquaphor, you feel more of an instant relief with aquaphor, maybe not very long lasting, but definitely help a lot.

About the nose, I would recommend the nasal gel than the Vaseline, I think the vaseline texture make it hard to absorb into the skin, I would recommend ayr nasal gel, that one works better for me..it doesn't stop the nose bleed, but you feel your nose is not as dry...

I would agree with pinkunicorns, definitely use moisturizer everyday on your body, specially your arms, your legs, your backs, wherever you feel dry..because your skin will get even dryer, don't wait till your skin start cracking..

Hi hun im sorry to hear your having a few complications can i suggest a few things that might help?

Use vaseline on your lips not chapstick and use vaseline all the time and i mean all the time never let your lips go dry my lips are constantly glistening with vaseline and if they ever go dry i apply tons more i havent had a problem with my lips at all and im on day 22 i think?! with headaches they could be caused by dry eyes buy some eye drops to moisturise them i got some they only cost me like £1.10 and i use them every morning and my headaches have gone remmeber to drink plenty of water too. my hair was also looking dry and fluffy and brittle and so bought the leave in conditioner for my hair and my hairdresser yestetrday said how healthy my hair was looking!

I think the thing to remember is accutane is drying out your entire body so you need to moisturise all the places that would normally have moisture like skin on body and face,lips,eyes and leave in conditioner in your hair i have been doing this all the time and i havent had any bad side effects. i def can see tho that if i hadnt been using vaseline,moisturiser,leave in conditioner and eye drops i would be feeling terrible too.

Hope that helps and good luck keep going xxx ;)

thanks for posting. i was going to go out & buy some vaseline (for my nostrils - but now for my lips - thanks for the advice!) but we were hit w/a snowstorm over in new jersey) i think the headache was actually pms b/c i got my period yesterday. ugh. yeah, i've been using the eye drops 1x in the morning & then again at night. i can't imagine not wearing my contacts. as for my hair, i've been using selsen blue (or however you spell it) b/c my scalp was getting so flakey)

thank you again for posting all your advice. it's comforting to know that everyone using this med. is experiencing somewhat of the same things. i will definitely try putting vaseline on all the time..do you carry a small container w/you in your purse?

I can't believe you already have nosebleed on the first month, I didn't have it until the last month. I would definitely have tissue with me wherever i go, in case of blood start dripping down.

I would highly recommend Aquaphor, I think it works better than chapstick(but different people have different preference). I feel like chapstick doesn't really get absorb into the lips as much as the aquaphor, you feel more of an instant relief with aquaphor, maybe not very long lasting, but definitely help a lot.

About the nose, I would recommend the nasal gel than the Vaseline, I think the vaseline texture make it hard to absorb into the skin, I would recommend ayr nasal gel, that one works better for me..it doesn't stop the nose bleed, but you feel your nose is not as dry...

I would agree with pinkunicorns, definitely use moisturizer everyday on your body, specially your arms, your legs, your backs, wherever you feel dry..because your skin will get even dryer, don't wait till your skin start cracking..

thanks for posting. i've looked for aquaphor everywhere & can't find it. i guess i'll have to buy it online? what store did you buy it from? i'm definitely very interested in finding that stuff actually.

my nose actually doesn't feel that dry...it's just the random nosebleeds (knock on wood...haven't gotten one for a few days still). weird. but it's true, i should start moisturize before my body gets dry b/c right now, it's just my face & head. i definitely don't want my skin to crack. ahh.

what dose are you on? am i the only one to get nosebleeds the 1st month?

I put vaseline on my feet and elbows. But I am loving aquaphor. :wub: I first put a on a little CeraVe on my face, then I put Aquaphor on my face everywhere. I think it is helping my red spots too. Last night I read the Aquaphor bottle and it says it protects scrapes and scratches, but also mega moisturizes dry skin and LIPS. so I started sticking that stuff on my lips too. I have something on them at all times. Maybe that will help you. I have ordered things from drugstore.com that I haven't found in stores, and they are good to order from so far. One thing I worry about is all the dry skin that prevents the moisture from penetrated into your face. Morning and night, I cleanse my face with a ph neutral toner on a cotten ball. I can see it removes a lot of dead skin so maybe that is why my face is okay. For my hair, I put on deep conditioners twice, then put on a leave-in conditioner when I'm done. No problems with the hair yet, but this is only day 5. I know the best is yet to come. :wacko:

Hi Pumpkin! I'm on month 3 of accutane and also 26 years old. You're lucky that you're taking accutane now before your wedding! I got married last year and SO wish that I would have done it earlier! :) Best of luck to you in your course!!!

I put vaseline on my feet and elbows. But I am loving aquaphor. :wub: I first put a on a little CeraVe on my face, then I put Aquaphor on my face everywhere. I think it is helping my red spots too. Last night I read the Aquaphor bottle and it says it protects scrapes and scratches, but also mega moisturizes dry skin and LIPS. so I started sticking that stuff on my lips too. I have something on them at all times. Maybe that will help you. I have ordered things from drugstore.com that I haven't found in stores, and they are good to order from so far. One thing I worry about is all the dry skin that prevents the moisture from penetrated into your face. Morning and night, I cleanse my face with a ph neutral toner on a cotten ball. I can see it removes a lot of dead skin so maybe that is why my face is okay. For my hair, I put on deep conditioners twice, then put on a leave-in conditioner when I'm done. No problems with the hair yet, but this is only day 5. I know the best is yet to come. :wacko:

doesn't it seem like we're spending so much money on these products? 6 months of this (well @ least for me). dr co-pays, accutane cost, all the other products.... however, if i'm clear at the end of my course....i would pay ANYTHING

Hi Pumpkin! I'm on month 3 of accutane and also 26 years old. You're lucky that you're taking accutane now before your wedding! I got married last year and SO wish that I would have done it earlier! :) Best of luck to you in your course!!!

thanks for posting! yes, i am very excited to hopefully be clear by october 2009. i won't set the date until after my course (which will be the end of july). i'm also moving in a few months - so i'm putting off the wedding plans (not just b/c of my skin..haha). congratulations on being a newlywed!

DAY 26: nothing much to report. just like to count the days. but my lips have been rather nice to me today. i had mentioned i had bumps on my mouth (like cold sores)...they're magically gone today. i can't believe it! i just wish these blackheads would come to surface by now!! my face looks like a damn orange peel.

today i worked from home, so i didn't put my contacts in & more importantly i didn't have to wear make-up @ all. i don't even have to put on make-up to go out tonight b/c my fiance is already asleep (7:55pm). i'm the one on accutane....shouldn't i be sleeping?! haha.

other than that, i'm just stressed..work is crazy & we're trying to buy a house. it's going to cost a lot of money & i know it'll be worth it in the end. but still...making this huge purchase is freaking me out. i don't think the bc pills & accutane are really helping my emotions either.

hiya babe yes i carry around a small pocket sized pot of vaseline with me all the time! it only cost 69p!! it lasts for ages thing is i went out yesterday for a few hours and my lips were going dry i went in my bag to look for my pot and realised i accidently left it at home coz i was in a rush to go out! so i went and bought another pot whilst i was out! thats how much i use the stuff i wont leave my lips dry as soon as they are dry they feel abit sunburnt so im making sure im really careful and using tons of the stuff xxx

my nose actually doesn't feel that dry...it's just the random nosebleeds (knock on wood...haven't gotten one for a few days still). weird. but it's true, i should start moisturize before my body gets dry b/c right now, it's just my face & head. i definitely don't want my skin to crack. ahh.

haha, I already finished my course, I was on 40mg/day the whole course. You can buy aquaphor healing Ointment from almost all the drug store...I got it from CVS, Walgreens, Rate-aid..

You can definitely buy it from drugstore.com, but if you can buy it from your local drugstore, why bother with all the troubles, right??? Aquaphor Healing Ointment is a product from Eucerin, so when you look for body moisturizer, you should be able to find the Eucerin product section, they should have aquaphor there...

Maybe you have been looking at the wrong section??? :-P google the image of aquaphor, when you go to CVS or something, you know what it would look like...i bought a big tube of it, and divide them into little container, it save more money and you can put them in different locations, e.g. work, home, car...

I used cetaphil moisturizing lotion for my face, it does a good job moisturizing for my whole body as well, it helped me through my course...I definitely would recommend something like that than simply a face cream, so you can have more amount for your body and face together, because you will need a lot of moisturizer when you on accutane, your skin will get very very dry soon..

haha, I already finished my course, I was on 40mg/day the whole course. You can buy aquaphor healing Ointment from almost all the drug store...I got it from CVS, Walgreens, Rate-aid..

You can definitely buy it from drugstore.com, but if you can buy it from your local drugstore, why bother with all the troubles, right??? Aquaphor Healing Ointment is a product from Eucerin, so when you look for body moisturizer, you should be able to find the Eucerin product section, they should have aquaphor there...

Maybe you have been looking at the wrong section??? :-P google the image of aquaphor, when you go to CVS or something, you know what it would look like...i bought a big tube of it, and divide them into little container, it save more money and you can put them in different locations, e.g. work, home, car...

I used cetaphil moisturizing lotion for my face, it does a good job moisturizing for my whole body as well, it helped me through my course...I definitely would recommend something like that than simply a face cream, so you can have more amount for your body and face together, because you will need a lot of moisturizer when you on accutane, your skin will get very very dry soon..

can't believe i didn't notice you were done w/your course...it only says so in your signature. yeah, i think i was looking in the wrong section when i was at walgreens. i definitely couldn't find it in the supermarket, but that makes sense i guess. i still didn't get to walgreens to pick up some vaseline. i will check for aquaphor later today. my lips are a mess.

hahaha how sad are we getting excited over vaseline hehe xx :dance:

good point. my life is getting so very sad. no alcohol & getting excited about vaseline :D

DAY 28: my fiance picked up a tub of vaseline for me from the supermarket. therefore, the only thing left to get is aquaphor. i woke up this morning & my lips were just covered w/flakes. i looked like a monster. now that i have vaseline, hopefully, this will work better than what i've been using.

i have a couple of active spots but now my scars are more noticeable. i think i'm never going to be happy. i can't focus on that now though. as long as i can get clear skin, i can worry about the scars later. they're the worst on my chin area...i hate looking in the mirror. is there a certain make-up that specifically made to cover up rolling scars? is that even possible? oh well.

my weight is still down. recently i've been in the 125 lb range for about a year now. i was convinced that going back on birth control was going to cause me to gain weight. especially since i don't [email protected] all. so i'm surprised that 4 weeks later, i'm down to 119.6 lbs. about that. so i'm going to use my blog as a way to track my weight & hopefully get down to my desired weight of 115 lbs. however, i don't want to lose my boobs.. haha. i still need to weigh myself naked to see what i really am.

looks like we're putting an offer on the house we want on monday. very nervous. if i wasn't on accutane, i can guarentee i'd be breaking out all over the place from the stress!

weight: 119.6 lbs

DAY 29: i can't believe i'll be finishing my first 3-pack tomorrow! my derm's office called to confirm my appt. for wednesday. so if all goes well (let's cross our fingers), i'll be all set w/my new 3-pack of pills by late afternoon. not sure if she's going to up me to 60 mg. i'm assuming she will if my blood test results are normal.

i personally think my skin looks so much better than a month ago. the thing that sucks is that my derm is actually on maternity leave now so i won't be seeing the same dr. - therefore, i won't have a true opinion on how my face is doing. but oh well. @ least i feel better about myself right?

i'm still wearing my contacts everyday & i didn't have to take anything for a headache @ all today. my lips are ridiculous but not as bad as they were. thanks for everyone who suggested vaseline! i still have to get my hands on some aquaphor. my face always has a pink tint to it, so i'm probably going to ask my dr. about that when i see her this week. just to see if she suggest i use anything in particular. today it looked like i wore blush all over my face. better than a bunch of pimples all over my face though. still waiting for my blackheads to magically disappear but i know that'll take time.

we submitted the offer on the house we REALLY want. i'm so stressed. had the day off from work & went to Atlantic City to try to forget all my worries.

oh & i finally think i figured out the gallery section of this message board. yesterday, i added a picture of myself the day before i started acctuane & tonight i added a picture of myself on day 28 (which will probably show up tomorrow since it's waiting for approval). can't believe i had the nerve to put those pics up but it will be nice to see progress (if any).

DAY 30: 1 month down, 5 more to go! tomorrow i have my dr. appt. i would be excited if she was my original dr. but she's not so i really could care less. this is b/c i'll have to fill her in on my side effects & if I think my skin is reacting well to accutane. blah. i just want her to write me my new prescription so i can drop it off on my way back to work.

i've been in such a crappy mood all day. i'm quite positive that it's the bc pills but maybe it's accutane..i don't even know. i would weigh myself but i ate a lot today & i don't feel like getting more angrier than i am. mind you, i'm not even angry about my skin...it's all the other crap in my life. i need to snap out of this though.

if i had a drink in my hand (i miss alcohol), i would toast to happy & CLEAR days to come! hope everyone else is in a better mood than me!!

Hey! It looks like we are on about the same schedule. I just started month two. I have a similar problem with my doctors. I see a different dermatologist every time I go in for an appointment and it's so frustrating! I feel like they can't really judge how I'm doing and what dose I need.

DAY 31: the dr. increased my dosage to 80mg a day. hope i adjust well to it. thankfully, i was able to log into ipledge & get my prescription filled by this afternoon. stupid pimple above my upper lip but whatever. i'm sick of being on bc.

won't be updating tomorrow since i'll be going to michigan for business.