Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
akkcd

It's Accutane Day!

So after 3 long months of waiting I finally got my perscription filled today!

I already have a question so if anyone could answer this for me that would be great! My doctor perscribed me 40mg and from reading this board it seems as though most people take 2 20mg tablets a day to equal 40mg. I thought that was what I was getting but each pill is 40mg and I am suppose to take 2 a day so that equals 80mg. I feel like this is a really high dosage to start with since I weigh 115 and my acne is not too bad since I have been taking Solodyn for 3 months. I can't call my doctor till monday, but does anyone else think this is really high?

I think it should be mg per kg of weight... I weight 90 kilos, my dosage is 80mg (never heard of someone taking 100mg hehe)... and yeah.. just like u, 4 tablets a day.

it is an up and down journey.... BE PATIENT, VERY PATIENT.

my body acne cleared totally in the first month.... always think positive... it can mess with your head, dont let it... ALWAYS THINK POSITIVE

So I decided that I am going to take my first pill tonight and call my doctor in the morning. I just want to get this 6 month process started already!

Anyway so here is my story: I have suffered with acne for 8 years now. I started seeing a dermatologist my freshmen yr. of high school and since then have tried every topical imaginable. My first major breakout was my junior yr. when my doctor put me on Doxycycline for 4 months and I was on 5 topicals (I thought that was a little ridiculous but I just followed doctors orders) I think that was the last time I was happy with my face because that pill completely cleared me up! :dance: So I continued on topicals until I went out of state for college and then decided that I didn't want to deal with creams anymore. My doctor put me on Yaz (Yasmin back then) and after 6-8 months noticed that it did make a difference in my skin. I think the sun exposure and different climate helped too. I am from Alaska so winter doesn't bring much sun to the state. So after being on that for a few yrs I decided that my skin was doing pretty well and I didn't need anything for it anymore. Just this last summer I started breaking out a little more than usual and it just progressively got worse. By September my face was covered in acne and this time with really bad cysts which I had never really had before. I was in so much physical and psychological pain :cry: I decided it was time to find a derm and see about accutane. Since seeing the derm in November I had to wait a month to get to the gyno for birth control, then I had to be on it for a month which I went home for a month for winter break anyway, then when I was suppose to get my perscription in January, my derm told me she didn't sign me up for the ipledge program and put in my neg preg test, so I had to wait another month. The good thing was she put me on Solodyn for these last few months to hold me over and that has cleared up all my cysts and my face isn't too bad except for the scarring.

I found this website about a month ago and the fact that I can talk and read over others logs really made me feel like I wasn't going to go through this alone. I'm not the best or most exciting storyteller, but if my log can help even one person then this is worth it. I actually got excited about starting accutane after reading all your logs instead of being completely fearful that I will suffer from every major health problem that this drug can cause.

Here is my regime right now although I'm sure it will change soon:

Morning

wash with proactive (I just like the face wash)

moisturize with Johnson and Johnson Purpose lotion

Then Duac topical gel

Evening

wash with proactive

Tazorac topical cream

moisturize with Aquaphor (thanks to you all! It has helped the drying around my pimples)

If any of you have any questions for me or are starting accutane around the same time let me know!

Congrats on finally starting tane. 37/f here and I just started my second course of accutane tonight. I was wondering if you got your dosage question answered. I'd be surprised if she started you on 80mgs. That's kinda high to start. I'm at 40mg once a day. 1 40mg tablet a day. Also, within the next couple of weeks you should consider not using the topicals anymore. Accutane is so drying on it's own that the topicals may hurt your skin. Accutane is a very powerful drug. In my experience less is better. Just my 2cents. ;) I'll be checking back on your log. Good luck. Jules

Thanks for the warm wishes jules! And good luck on your second course :D I called the derm today and apparently they just put all their accutane patients on 80mg and keep them on the same dosage the entire time. I feel like starting with a high dose will prob bring on stronger side effects, but who knows! As long as I don't die or suffer any serious problems I'm fine with it.

Day 1

I took my first pills today so no side effects to report of yet. I made sure to drink plenty of water too. I decided to stop using my topicals because I figure if my skin starts to get worse the accutane is just going to clear it eventually anyway.

I have been noticing that my face is starting to get a little worse since I had to stop taking Solodyn about a week ago. Right now I'm broken out on my chin, I have a few actives on my left cheek bone, two medium sized brite red pimples on my forehead, one forming under my right nostril, and a cyst on my left jawline that has been there for about a month and seems to be getting bigger again when it was almost gone at one point.

I will keep you all posted! Oh and tomorrow is my b-day (tuesday) and I am considering having 1 drink but I will see how I feel about that tomorrow. My mind keeps going back and forth on if I should even try. I would just like to be able to have 1 drink for my b-day and a drink when I graduate in May. So if I do decide to drink I will let you all know if it affected me at all.

Hope everyone is doing well and good luck to you all!

Day 3

So I decided not to take the risk and drink plus I have been dealing with such a horrible migraine the last two days. I'm trying to get through it without taking any painkillers even though my derm said it would be o.k for me to take Ibuprofin, I'm still a little scared about any reactions I may get with the drug.

So far I haven't had many side effects except the migraine and my eyes have been dry at night and a tiny bit bloodshot during the day.

I started accutane on the 18th as well. Although I am only taking one 40 mg pill once a day at this point. It will be fun to see how we both progress. I am 26, turning 27 in March, and have never had acne till my thyroid wacked out on me last year. My acne started May 07 and I have been fighting it like crazy. I finally gave in and thought I really need to get rid of this once and for good! Plus, I am starting to have red scars everywhere-hopefully these will go away with acid peels etc...so far I feel pretty good, noticed just a tinge of dryness and of course my pimples hurt but that is nothing new. My eyes are dry in the a.m. My workout this morning was horrible though-my muscles couldn't lift half the weight I usually do, so looks like I will be doing more cardio for a while :) I will def. keep in touch with you and look forward to your progress!!

Lia

Hi Lia! Nice to hear from someone else that started the same day. I wish you luck on your course and hopefully we will both have good news to report of soon :) Also, are you keeping a log? I looked for yours but didn't see anything.

Day 4

So yesterday afternoon I started breaking out in little spots all over my face and this morning they were either gone or had whiteheads. I had about 12 little whiteheads this morning which is really weird because I never really get many whiteheads. My face is starting to become really sensitive because last night after I washed my face I put on aquaphor like I have been doing for the past week and it started burning really bad around my temple area. I was about to wash it off, but it calmed down. My face is really dry around my pimples, but I haven't experienced any other dryness today. My migraine kept coming and going today, but I think it is finally gone. Fingers crossed it won't come back!

Hi Lia! Nice to hear from someone else that started the same day. I wish you luck on your course and hopefully we will both have good news to report of soon :) Also, are you keeping a log? I looked for yours but didn't see anything.

Day 4

So yesterday afternoon I started breaking out in little spots all over my face and this morning they were either gone or had whiteheads. I had about 12 little whiteheads this morning which is really weird because I never really get many whiteheads. My face is starting to become really sensitive because last night after I washed my face I put on aquaphor like I have been doing for the past week and it started burning really bad around my temple area. I was about to wash it off, but it calmed down. My face is really dry around my pimples, but I haven't experienced any other dryness today. My migraine kept coming and going today, but I think it is finally gone. Fingers crossed it won't come back!

Hi MonaS! Thanks for checking out my log. Do you have one? If not keep me updated on your progress. Good luck on your course!

Day 6

Today and yesterday have been crap! I'm breaking out all over my face. Everything is so red, some is painful and all are very dry and peeling! It is impossible to cover up! I have no self confidence right now. And I look like frickin rudolph since I have so many actives on my nose. This sucks! Oh and my mirgraine came back today, fantastic. I think it is still too early for my IB but I am on a high dose so maybe things are coming out quicker. I don't think this is going to be a very good week.

Question: I bought some juice that has 100% vitamin A. Does that mean I can't drink it? Is there any food or drink that has vitamin A that I need to stay away from?

Hey! Sorry to hear about all the actives. Usually, the higher the dose to start the worse the breakout. Hang in there :comfort: If the headaches are that bad try an advil. It knocks them right out for me. The juice if fine to drink. It's the actually vitamin pills you want to stay away from.

Thanks for the help Jules!

Day 11

So my nose took a while to heal and it is not fully back to normal but the redness is finally gone! Tuesday was such a horrible day because I HAD to go to class and my makeup helped cover the redness, but it was so splotchy (sp?) since my skin was so dry and uneven. I was so embarrased I walked with my head down to class. :ninja: So when I got home I started slathering on the aquaphor and now it is only dry at the tip of my nose which isn't noticeable. I still have about 10 medium sized actives, but they are trying to heal. I have about 3 small cysts. The one I've had for a month is slowly shrinking and I have one on my cheek that has formed a couple whiteheads in the last few days (weird, and definitely cause of accutane!) The blackheads on my nose are a lot more noticable and it seems like there are a lot more. I'm guessing the accutane is bringing them to the surface so I'm actually happy about this! I have been trying to get these mothers to go away for years!

As far as side effects my eyes are still dry and kinda bloodshot. They sorta sting sometimes. My migraines come and go about every other day, but there not too bad and my lips are getting that annoying tight dry feeling so I have been using aquaphor to help that.

Can't wait for this stuff to really start kicking in!

Hey there, just checking in with you since we started the same day...although I am having a totally different experience. Last weekend I did have a few new pimples, and lots of white heads popped up. This week no new pimples but a few white heads here and there. My skin is not peeling at all?? My lips are a little dry and so are my eyes but I keep waiting for this bad day to come and it's not. I am so mad at myself for having a fear of this medicine b/c besides the headaches (which have been downright terrible) I feel pretty good. My skin is also way less inflamed and feels much smoother. I guess everyone's skin reacts differently.

If I didn't have all these red marks from past pimples I think my skin would actually look like it was healing very well. On a side note I have been spotting the last two days when I shouldn't be is this a side affect your familiar with and is it normal? I am taking 40mg once a day I am 5'7 and weigh 130 lbs. I don't think the dosage is too high or too low? Good luck with your progress.

hiya huney good luck with your course im on 40mg and just finished one month of 4!! i take 2 in the morning after breakfast.

just remember to use tons of mouisturiser and vaseline on your lips and you may even want to get a leave in conditioner for your hair its really helped with mine. For your eyes go to the pharmacy and get some eye drops to moisturise your eyes mine only cozt £1.10 or something and that may help with headaches too oh drink plenty of water and stay positive take care xx

Hey there, just checking in with you since we started the same day...although I am having a totally different experience. Last weekend I did have a few new pimples, and lots of white heads popped up. This week no new pimples but a few white heads here and there. My skin is not peeling at all?? My lips are a little dry and so are my eyes but I keep waiting for this bad day to come and it's not. I am so mad at myself for having a fear of this medicine b/c besides the headaches (which have been downright terrible) I feel pretty good. My skin is also way less inflamed and feels much smoother. I guess everyone's skin reacts differently.

If I didn't have all these red marks from past pimples I think my skin would actually look like it was healing very well. On a side note I have been spotting the last two days when I shouldn't be is this a side affect your familiar with and is it normal? I am taking 40mg once a day I am 5'7 and weigh 130 lbs. I don't think the dosage is too high or too low? Good luck with your progress.

Hi Lia! Nice to hear from you again! Sorry, I have not had any spotting and I actually have never heard anyone else with that problem and I have been reading these boards for awhile before I started my own course. I don't see why the drug would effect someone in that way. Especially since we should all be pretty regular with BC. Have you been really stressed lately? I would definitely ask your doctor when you go in for your one month, but if it continues or really worries you, I would give them a quick call to make sure. Your dosage is definitely not too high. I am between 115-120 and I am taking 80mg so your doctor could increase your dosage a good amount without you having to worry.

Hey Swanny, good to hear from someone else who started the same week. Keep us updated with your progress.

Hi Pinkunicorns, thanks for the advise! The leave in conditioner sounds like a really good idea. I have not had any dryness with my hair or skin yet. I have been drinking at least 3 liters of water a day so that is probably helping. I did get eyedrops for my eyes, but they haven't been working too well. I think I need to get something for the red in my eyes, but I'm hoping it is a side effect that will go away soon. Congrats on 1 month! That is exciting!

Hope to hear from all of you again! Thanks for posting and good luck!

Thanks his pumpkin!

Day 15

I had a great weekend! I have been so embarrased by my acne for months that I never really go out and have any fun. This weekend I decided that I deserved to have some fun so I went to my schools gymnastics meet this weekend. I love gymnastics and I had never been to one of my schools meets before and it is my last semester here. Then my roommates and I went to a nice whole in the wall bar and since I can't drink, we decided to tell people it was because I'm pregnant. That was fun! I mean, what am I suppose to say when someone asks me why I can't drink? I'm not gonna explain the whole accutane thing because that's boring. Then a few of my friends and I went hiking on Sunday which is one of my favorite things to do. I made sure to wear sunscreen so no sunburns for me! Bad thing is hiking gave me a BAD headache even though I drank plenty of water before, during and after the hike. Just got rid of it about 2 hours ago.

My face looks better than it has been since the original breakout in September. :dance: I have a huge active right in the center of my chin, 4 medium sized actives that are healing, a cyst by my nose and my old cyst is almost flat. I wonder how bad that scar is going to be though. :think: MY nose is dry and peeling again, but no redness and no actives. Lips have been feeling slightly scratchy even with aquaphor, but not too bad. Best news, nothing hurts! Very very rare for me!

Day 18

Everything is pretty much the same. Still healing. My scars are HORRIBLE! Throughout the day my face usually gets oily and I realized today that that has stopped. My eyes have not been bothering me the last few days and my lips have still been dry but not bad. Still getting migrains. I get my blood work done in one week. Hope everythings o.k!

Yes it can, and in most cases I think it does. Kinda depends on the person and a higher dosage can cause more of a breakout, i think because things come to the surface faster. Lower doses tend to minimize side effects and IB. It is actually a little comforting to know that everything is coming out and soon will be gone. I never had that feeling with topicals and I have been on everything including Retin-A. I learned all of this from reading this board so if I'm wrong, sorry. Good luck to you with your acne battles!

Day 20

Woke up with three new actives by/on my nose and a flat whitehead on my nose (wierd). I also have 4 tiny ones on my chest and I hardly ever get anything there. I hope this isn't the start of something big. I am on spring break now so I guess this is the best week if something is gonna happen.

I went to dinner last night with one of my roomies and two guy friends. Then we went bowling (very junior high I know!) and of course while they drank, I couldn't :( Oh well, it was still a lot of fun and I haven't been confident enough with my appearence to be able to go out with boys in a long long time.

Day 23

Not much has changed. I got a few more actives in the last few days, but nothing that bothered me too much. They seem to come to a head much quicker and I don't care what people say, if it has a whitehead I'm going to get rid of it! I think whiteheads are soo gross to have just sitting on your face and they are impossible to cover up. My scars are starting to look a little better. Most of my scars don't bother me too much, but I have 3 scars on my left cheek from cysts that have left huge dents and are purpleish blue like bruises. I have a difficult time covering those up everyday. I don't know how long it will take for the discoloring to go away, but I hope soon. My nose has been really dry still. The only way to make it look better is to really exfoliate which irritates it and makes it red so I decided since it's spring break I'm going to try and let it heal without exfoliating. My blackheads are still very dark and noticeable. I usually squeeze those things out so they arn't so dark, but I told myself I'm just going to wait for the tane to get rid of them for me. That will be an exciting day!

Hope everyone else is doing good!