Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elleumas

Exfoliate

I'm using the St. Ives Apricot Scrub. Is it good? To exfoliate, I just squeeze some of it on to my hands and try to rub it on my damp face slowly for around 5 mins. Is this the right way to do it? I usually wash my face with the DK cleanser after this but skip the BP just for this 1 time and follow up with the moisturizer.

There are lots of ways to exfoliate, some more irritating than others. Scrubs are just about my least favorite, though, and the scrubby bits in that St. Ive's apricot scrub are jagged. If you're going to use a scrub, it should be have polished, round scrubby bits so that it doesn't cause very small tears in your skin. You can keep using it, but unless you've been on the regimen long enough to know what your acne looks like when it's kept under control, you might find that you're not clearing up as much as you like because of the irritation from the scrub.

For alternative ways to exfoliate, see the bottom link in my signature. I personally use a combination of chemical exfoliation (nightly glycolic acid lotion) and occasional physical exfoliation (with a soft, flat toothbrush in the morning, similar to the baby brush method).

The St Ives Apricot is one of the worst cleansers Ive ever used! It abraded my skin and I believe it is the reason I have huge pores on my nose and blackheads. I would advise using a mild cleanser instead. Five minutes! OMG thats too long! Dan recommends washing your face for approximately thirty seconds to one minute. Five minutes would probably make your face bright red

The St Ives Apricot is one of the worst cleansers Ive ever used! It abraded my skin and I believe it is the reason I have huge pores on my nose and blackheads. I would advise using a mild cleanser instead. Five minutes! OMG thats too long! Dan recommends washing your face for approximately thirty seconds to one minute. Five minutes would probably make your face bright red

im not referring to cleansing my face. exfoliating

I'm using the St. Ives Apricot Face Wash (Blemish control formula with 2% Salicylic acid) too but for my body acne and its working great at keeping breakouts at bay and clearing my skin at the same time...

The Apircot scrub should be used 1-2 times a week and works great in exfoliation

Products should cost less than $10 for both and whats good is they work!

Let me also note the St Ives Apircot FACE WASH is what you should be looking for not the cleanser thats like a cream with pink beads that doesnt work and is not good for acne prone skin.

Bumppp.

So how long is too long to exfoliate with an exfoliating wash?

Right now I just do it for about 15-10 seconds then I wash it off with warm water.

But I have broken out on both cheeks and my jawline, I got a nodule for the first time in weeks on one of my cheeks, after reading acne_battle's post I think I know why...

When I exfoliate I usually spend more time around my cheek/jawline area and focus a lot more on those 2 parts than my forehead, nose, chin etc...

Again, how long would be too much time spent on one area?

Yes you can use the full regimen after you exfoliate.

I really didn't like the apricot scrub. Did nothing for me but aggravate my skin and make it extremely oily after.