Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PWPager08

Out growing Acne?

I know not every one outgrows acne, and people outgrow it at different times, but I was wondering what a common age was for males to outgrow their acne was. Any insights or previous experiences would help. Thanks.

Most men will find clarity in their early to mid twenties if it is going to happen. More women than men will experience adult acne...that's no consolation to women, of course, but let it be for you! :)

I hear the average is 27, which is about when my dad's cleared up. I'm 23 and still most definitely have acne.

depends when it starts. mine started when i was 14 and doctor said it will be gone by the time im 17 (next year)!

I have no idea :shrug: I only know about women :lol: My moms acne cleared up when she was 28. Although, she only had acne two years of her life. My dermatologist said its rare for people to have acne past thirty.

Results of this study revealed that a substantial percentage of adults report having acne in their 20s, 30s, and even 40s. Rates are higher for women than men, as age increases.

The prevalence of acne in adults 20 years and older

Christin N. Collier BS, Julie C. Harper MD, Wendy C. Cantrell CRNP, Wenquan Wang PhD, K. Wade Foster MD, PhD and Boni E. Elewski MD,

Available online 22 October 2007.

Background

Acne, one of the most common skin diseases, is often mistakenly thought to affect exclusively the teenaged group. However, a significant number of patients either continue to experience acne or develop new-onset acne after the teenaged years.

Objective

A survey was designed to assess the prevalence of acne in the teenaged years, and aged 20 to 29 years, 30 to 39 years, 40 to 49 years, and 50 years and older.

Methods

Adults aged 20 years and older were asked to complete surveys distributed at various sites on our university campus and medical complex.

Results

Of 1013 participants aged 20 years and older, 73.3% (n = 744) reported ever having acne. After the teenaged years, women were more likely to report having acne than men, with the difference being statistically significant in all age groups.

The prevalence of acne reported in women versus men was as follows:

20 to 29 years, 50.9% of women versus 42.5% of men

30 to 39 years 35.2% of women versus 20.1% of men

40 to 49 years 26.3% of women versus 12.0% of men

50 years and older 15.3% of women versus 7.3% of men.

Conclusions

Acne continues to be a common skin problem past the teenaged years, with women being affected at higher rates than men in all age groups 20 years or older.

my family has no trace of acne in its genes...he told me i should be clear around 19...im 18 turning 19 in 10 months...and it has gotten alot better, iono if im outgrowing it or im getting a better regimine as time goes on, but im hoping im clear by then

I honestly don't think anyone can predict it quite that precisely for you - even doctors. I mean if you look at the stats from the study I cited, lots of men (just under half) still have some problems during their 20s. I'm not saying this to rain on anyone's hopes for early clearing, but just trying to give a more realistic picture that acne beyond the teenage years is VERY common.

I grew out of inflamed acne.

I still have not grown out of non-inflamed acne.

15-end of life... is the range.

22-30 is the middle of the bell curve.

is this fact? hell nawww. I made it up.

I wish some dermatologist could just tell me when it'll all be gone. I really think it'd matter less to me if I knew the time range I was dealing with. I've had it for about 13 years thus far . . .

I can relate to being frustrated with acne, I've had it since I was about 14 and I'm 18 now wondering when this crap will go away. I figured I'd be down with it before I entered college, maybe I'll clear up in the next 7-8 months. That would be awesome because I have really sensitive skin which makes treating acne even harder.

I was lucky enough to not have Acne during highschool (already had enough problems of my own then) but when I hit 18 it hit me like a ton of bricks and been trying to get rid of it since. Hopefully now i'm in 20's it'll start to go away.

was jus wondering, does roaccutane leave a permanent effect on ur acne? or does it just clear it up for a few months? im on my 2nd course in two years, my skin is better this year than last an im hopin after this course i can get rid of it all together..i am 18 an hoepfully the whole hormone thing will calm down haha

i was told by a science teacher that every 7 years your organs kind of make a new copy of themselves or something.

basically, the skin is an organ, so theoretically the ages of 21-28 should be a clearing up period i think.

some ppl say that it is possible a person would never grow out of acne because the body wants to still make sex hormones and that lacks co enzyme a to break down food

When I was about 10, my brother (about 13) was just starting to get acne and I remember looking in the mirror wishing I had acne. I guess I thought it made him look cool and mature or something

I started getting acne around when I was 13, and now I'm 21 and still haven't grown out of it. He only had minor acne for a year or so during teens, and since has a completely clear and even skin tone

We also have completely different facial shapes. Mother nature works in mysterious ways