Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tinuviel

coconut oil

has anyone tried coconut oil either topically or internally?

i just got some because i keep reading about how wonderful

it is for skin and hair.

anybody try it?

I would not try it on your skin (as an acne.org user (Franie) said on her blog): http://www.highonhealth.org/my-coconut-oil...sing-nightmare/

However, if you just google it, coconut oil has amazing properties for hair and skin where acne is not present. I've recently bought some coconut oil, and I've been taking two tablespoons a day. Also yesterday I put it in my hair and on my skin and it has really been amazing.

Thanks for posting the link Tasha. Yeah, I thought it was GREAT and then I ended up with a heap of tiny little pimples. I'm still not sure why but I'll never do it again, in fact, I'm still recovering now.

I think I was either allergic to the coconut oil, it pulled out a heap of toxins that were buried in my skin, or it did what that quote said that I've linked on my blog article. Either way, I'm unsure of how good it is to apply topically and I personally won't try it again!

I haven't experimented with taking it internally but I have heard a lot of good things about it.

i use it on my skin everyday since im on tane. i used to use olive oil but its alot less thick so it doesnt look like i have grease on my face. also it is low in vitamin e which ages your skin

Interesting... I have to admit that I'm pretty hesitant to put it on

my face, but I really don't have any active acne so maybe it would

be ok.

I am going to try taking a spoon full or 2 a day and maybe cook with

it too. My husband freaked out at the amount of saturated fat...it is

kind of alot i guess (12.5 g per tbsp)

Interesting... I have to admit that I'm pretty hesitant to put it on

my face, but I really don't have any active acne so maybe it would

be ok.

I am going to try taking a spoon full or 2 a day and maybe cook with

it too. My husband freaked out at the amount of saturated fat...it is

kind of alot i guess (12.5 g per tbsp)

so what is the consistency supposed to be, solid-ish or oil-ish?

or does it matter?

when i first opened the jar it was solid, like crisco sort of. then

it turned to oil, like olive oil. now it's back to crisco-like. i know

that temperature can play a factor (even though the temp doesn't

vary much in my apt.) but i'm just curious if it matters really what

the consistency is. the package also says it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

thanks!

so what is the consistency supposed to be, solid-ish or oil-ish?

or does it matter?

when i first opened the jar it was solid, like crisco sort of. then

it turned to oil, like olive oil. now it's back to crisco-like. i know

that temperature can play a factor (even though the temp doesn't

vary much in my apt.) but i'm just curious if it matters really what

the consistency is. the package also says it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

thanks!

Coconut oil is a solid under 76 degrees. Most negative press done on coconut oil in the past was the result of one study conducted four decades ago, using hydrogenated oil (which has been processed and altered from its original form), not on virgin coconut oil.

Coconut oil is the highest source of saturated medium chain triglycerides (62%) of any naturally occurring vegan food source. Around 50% of these medium chain triglycerides are made up of lauric acid, the most important essential fatty acid in building and maintaining the body’s immune system (the best other source is mother's milk). Medium chain fatty acids help to increase metabolism and are more easily digested than fats found in other oils because they are processed directly in the liver and immediately converted into energy. This means less strain on the liver, pancreas and digestive system and provide the body with a quick source of energy. Research is being conducted on its efffects on Thyroid Disease, Weight Problems, Bowel Disease, Candida, Chronic Fatigue, Diabetes, HIV and AIDS, and Parasites just to name a few. It was suggested that I use coconut oil for my thyroid problems. It has made a HUGE improvement, even being able to cut back on my medication. I try to use 1-2 tbspns a day. I also rub it on my neck.

Well, I started researching coconut oil months ago and have REALLY wanted to try it...but I live in a really bad place for that sort of thing (can't find anything "exotic"). But this week, I found a 2nd health food store in my city and ALAS COCONUT OIL!!! I was so excited. I have used it in various ways and am very excited to cook with it. I have also used it sparingly on my skin which feels nice.

But my FAVORITE is poached/fried egg. Its the absolute best for doing that! Anyone who hasn't tried to do eggs this way should. I don't know if it is something that everybody does or that I made up...but basically a tbsp of the coconut butter in a sauce pan and drop in the egg. The egg never sticks, it just sort of glides around on the oil. Keep sloshing the hot oil up to the top of the egg to cook the top. EASY & DELISH!! Somebody try it and tell me what you think.

I am taking a tbsp of this with my vitamin D each day. Vitamin D is fat soluble and should be taken with oil. Since coconut oil bypasses the lymph system to go straight to the liver and vitamin D needs to process first in the liver, I figured it could help to make it absorb even quicker. We'll see.

Just wanted to share because I am so excited to have finally found something that I really wanted. Too bad its only a 200g jar & I only saw a couple more jars at the store. At my current rate, I'll buy out the entire country's stock by the end of March lol. I'm thinking seriously of ordering this online but have always wondered if it would get damaged or oxidized en route....anybody ever gotten coconut oil online?

Everyone, be careful about coconut oil. I was using a lot of it for a few years, but just recently someone here posted about foods with phytoandrogens (can potentially raise androgen levels), and coconut is one of those foods. I can't help but wonder if it's party to blame for the fact that I developed hirsutism a year or two ago , and perhaps it was contributing to my acne as well.

Everyone, be careful about coconut oil. I was using a lot of it for a few years, but just recently someone here posted about foods with phytoandrogens (can potentially raise androgen levels), and coconut is one of those foods. I can't help but wonder if it's party to blame for the fact that I developed hirsutism a year or two ago , and perhaps it was contributing to my acne as well.

Phytoandrogens don't raise androgen levels, they actually decrease the overall affects of androgens in your body because they are weaker plant androgens and bind to your receptors, so less of your own more potent androgens are able to bind.

Phytoandrogens don't raise androgen levels, they actually decrease the overall affects of androgens in your body because they are weaker plant androgens and bind to your receptors, so less of your own more potent androgens are able to bind.

That is what just about every website I've ever read (and I've read a lot of them) has said about phytoestrogens/phytoandrogens. I think if you have a low level of estrogen in your body (as with menopause) then the phytoestrogens aren't competing as much with real estrogen, so they do have an affect of increased estrogen. I'm not really sure why, but I think the reason why flax seed oil broke me out so bad was because by lowering the overall affects of estrogen in my body, testosterone was less opposed by estrogen and had a more prominent affect on my sebaceous glands. Estrogen has the affect of suppressing sebaceous glands, so I think that may be why. Although there is a lot of conflicting information out there, so it's hard to say.

Hey Lana MD, or anyone else... Can you give me suggestions on how to incorporate 2 tbsps of coconut oil in my diet daily? Cant seem to figure out how.