Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been taking DIM for about a week now, 150mg a day. Taking 250mg of CDG. Also started taking colon cleanse supplements about 4 days ago.

Have been queasy/gassy for 3 days now, which I think is due to the colon cleanse. It feels awful, and I think I'll stop taking them. But that's so frustrating b/c it's supposed to be great for the skin.

:cry:

I have read through all the posts on DIM and I think I am ready to give it a try. I am a 22 year old male and I've had acne since I was 14 or 15.

Anyway from reading all the material what I think I am going to try is activamune with taurine. I was reading that most people were taking Natures way but I weight around 200 pounds and it seemed that some of the dosage might be absorbed by fat so a higher dose would be more effective for someone with my weight. Though I did see there was some conflicting opinions in that area, if more was really necessary for someone who weighs more.

http://www.activamune.com/references.htm - for reference

I have a few questions about the process. I keep hearing this reference to phase 1 and phase 2 but I didn't really see anyone lay out what those should be. IE. should I be taking taurine from the beginning or after some period of time of taking DIM? and how much tuarine? I've seen some people take up to 2000mg, where others suggest 1000mg or 500mg. should these dosages be taken once a day or every time with the DIM?

also it sounds like drinking might not be particularly a great idea while on this suppliment as it sounds as though it can overload the liver which is why one would take taurine. Also, is this supposed to be a cure, or a treatment? Should someone keep taking this? or stop after a time..I don't think I would want to take it permanently if I couldn't drink while on it.

jodiat - care to comment on the dosage for taurine? you seem to be knowledgeable on the subject.

Just update my blog with my 1 week progress and new pics

Here is the quick summary, I saw a decrease in oil, but no change in my acne. I've made a few changes to my regimen so here is hoping for next week. Also I was PMSing this week so that may of had some influence.

hmm.anyone know a place in canada (ontario) to buy this stuff in person? or if i could call my local pharmacy and ask them to order nature's way/another brand for me?

I bought mine today at the Rideau Centre in Ottawa at a store called Nutrition House. It was the Nature's Way Dim-plus kind...60 capsules for $32.00 (after tax). Yikes!

your kidding??? that is crazy expensive swansonvitamins.com has it for $8.79

hmm.anyone know a place in canada (ontario) to buy this stuff in person? or if i could call my local pharmacy and ask them to order nature's way/another brand for me?

I bought mine today at the Rideau Centre in Ottawa at a store called Nutrition House. It was the Nature's Way Dim-plus kind...60 capsules for $32.00 (after tax). Yikes!

your kidding??? that is crazy expensive swansonvitamins.com has it for $8.79

Maybe it's just nutrition house.. I shake my fist at them. I bought a bottle of jojoba oil for $50 from them before I realized it was overpriced :snooty:

I am pretty sure mine was not dehydration. I have had those types of headaches before and (at least with me) they are quite severe. This was more of a dull "squishy" feeling. I've never experienced this head sensation before (that I can think of). It felt like something was happening in the front of my brain, but it was only mild discomfort,not throbbing or stabbing or vice-like. I have no idea what it could be, only that for me it left as suddenly as it arrived on about the 3rd day.

Sounds exactly like what I have been feeling. I am taking 2 pills of the Nature's Way DIM-plus with breakfast, and two pills with dinner. This is the recommended dose for men according to the label. Also, I am taking 1000mg of Taurine with each meal. I also ordered some Calcium D-glucarate to help support my liver as well. I drink alot of water.

My skin has virtually no acne right now, while 3 weeks ago I had about 20 spots. The only problem is that I don't know what has been clearing me up..... the DIM, Lactoferrin (3x/day), Taurine, or all three? I started them all at the same time more or less, along with some Chinese herbs (AcNomore by Balanceuticals), NAC, Omega3s, etc.......Also I take 10mg of accutane every other day, or twice a week. Maybe overdoing it, but I am obsessed with being acne free.

Also I take 10mg of accutane every other day, or twice a week.

That alone might make any positive results you report null and void

:whistle:

Why? I've been on this lose dose for more than a year now; acne comes and goes while at this dose; its mainly an extra safeguard against things ever getting too bad (although they have gotten quite bad at times even with the isotrentinoin, but not as bad as they could have been)

Eric in VA, what is Lactoferrin and NAC?

Also, would you say the omega 3's have been a descent help? I'll take what you're taking, aside from the accutane. If your skin is virtually acne free right now, you've got something...Would you consider taking what you're currently taking with Zinc and Fish Oil?

Thanks

dude, its the accutane that's clearing you up. Since accutane has a cumulative effect, it's only getting to get better with time. I have taken low dosage before--as long as you are on accutane and past a certain dosage, the acne will be controllable. Go check out studies: after 6months, most people are in remission after 20 mg/day. Doing 10 mg every other day will bound to clear you up sooner or later....

Hi guys,

i Just found out this DIM theory; it looks very interesting and i'm curious about what results people on this forum will get.. i'll be following some logs. I was researching about this molecule and i must say there is not known much about its interactions with our body mechanism. Since i want to contribute to this topic i must tell you that one more thing i've read and i didn't find in threads here is that DIM is a potential ATP sinthesys inhibitor: This means the molecule could be more dangerous than expected. Btw, The Uni is looking for someone to reasearch on this interaction.

This inormation comes from the ETH University in Zurich(http://www.micro.biol.ethz.ch/positions/student/dimroth_sem_1}:

DIM your ATP Synthase! Erst kürzlich (Mai 2006) wurde ein Anti-Tumorwirkstoff (DIM) als potentieller Inhibitor der ATP Synthase identifiziert. Der Wirkstoff aus Brokkoli (!) ist schon seit längerem bekannt, aber erst jetzt wurde der Wirkort entdeckt. Uns interessiert, wie genau der Stoff auf die ATP Synthase wirkt. Würde er die ATP Synthase komplett hemmen, wäre er sicher tödlich.

Wir suchen einen motivierten Forscher, der uns hilft,Licht in das Geheimnis von DIM zu bringen.

P.S. I'm swiss and a UNI student so trust in my translation.

live,

Thanks for the info. and please keep us posted. However, I am a bit confused. Can you ascertain whether this is speaking in relation to regular cell functioning, or related to cancer/tumor cells? I have found that research related to cancer/tumors can be confusing to someone like myself who is not concerned (presently) with cancer...because when it comes to cancer research, things like "cell death" are considered to be a good thing and a success of a substance. (!) However, to someone such as myself, I read "cell death" and think "OMG ______ is going to kill me" (fill in blank: green tea, broccoli, etc) but in fact it is a tumor-killer and usually is quite good for you. Anyway, if you can tell whether its cancer research or not, it'd help to understand better. Thanks.

edit: here's an example-- http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/full/66/9/4880

Just thought I should tell people that I contacted my doctor about DIM and she said that it was NOT OK TO TAKE.. I am a 17 year old male. Sorry to be a messenger of bad news. But I am disinclined to trust my doctor for some reason... To each their own... Good luck guys.

Just thought I should tell people that I contacted my doctor about DIM and she said that it was NOT OK TO TAKE..

So she just said "NO", no explanation or anything? Doctors these days...

But I am disinclined to trust my doctor for some reason...

I know what you mean.

umm ok you guys are really freaking me out...can someone who is saying that DIM is not ok to take explain themselves?!!

umm ok you guys are really freaking me out...can someone who is saying that DIM is not ok to take explain themselves?!!

I think it was probably due to him being 17 yo male and Dr just automatically said "no" since this is the sexual maturation period and figured "why mess with any hormones right now"...nevermind that environmental factors (phyto and xeno steroids) aren't so discriminating.[edit: we all heard recently of drugs in watersources...well, estrogens are drugs taken in abundance and they get put into the wastewater but not adequately taken out...] Doesn't sound like she ordered or looked at any test values (but then again neither has anyone on this forum that I know of)...

ok i googled DIM dangerous and NOTHING came up...I also googled DIM ATP synthesis inhibitor and all I came up with was sites about how great DIM is and how it can prevent cancer...I also found this on wikpedia through that google search, I liked the chart :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3,3'-Diindolylmethane

Not to be rude, but can you guys please be more specific when you post stuff like that...you really made me nervous for no good reason.

As to the 17 year old boy, I can see why your doctor would not want you to take DIM...you shouldn't be messing with your hormones, give your acne a chance to go away on its own.

ok i googled DIM dangerous and NOTHING came up...I also googled DIM ATP synthesis inhibitor and all I came up with was sites about how great DIM is and how it can prevent cancer...I also found this on wikpedia through that google search, I liked the chart :)

Not to be rude, but can you guys please be more specific when you post stuff like that...you really made me nervous for no good reason.

As to the 17 year old boy, I can see why your doctor would not want you to take DIM...you shouldn't be messing with your hormones, give your acne a chance to go away on its own.

I posted a study a few posts up. I think it deals with mitochondria ATPase in breast cancer cells. I don't know what is going on with the proposed Swiss university study...but I don't think broccoli or its concentrated constituents is necessarily deadly.

As for the 17 yo, don't be quick to say that he shouldn't "mess" with hormones. He probably shouldn't and I think at that age you'd have to have a really clear, lab-proven case of estrogen dominance to consider DIM. But its not out of the realm of possibility (as I said, we are all ingesting and breathing toxins that get us out of whack thanks to these modern times we live in). But I think some of the guys who have been using DIM (some with success) might not be all that much older than he (but I'm not totally sure).

I've used 400 mg DIM daily for almost a week now. I'm disappointed, cause my acne is rather worse.

As usual, can anyone reporting no or bad results please elaborate: brand, dose ( & your sex and weight), regimen, how many days consistently you've been taking it, additional supplements, effects (good or bad) that have been noticed (i.e. head discomfort, sleep, oil production, etc)...basically anything relevant, even diet changes, etc.

mr. m if you could provide some of this info, we can try to ascertain if this is failing due to improper administration, or not enough time has passed. If we can't find anything wrong with what you are doing, you should maybe give it more time before giving up on it. Remember, with accutane, results can take months to see and there can be severe initial break outs. I hope you will give DIM the full chance to work before going that potentially long, agonizing route.

I posted a study a few posts up. I think it deals with mitochondria ATPase in breast cancer cells. I don't know what is going on with the proposed Swiss university study...but I don't think broccoli or its concentrated constituents is necessarily deadly.

As for the 17 yo, don't be quick to say that he shouldn't "mess" with hormones. He probably shouldn't and I think at that age you'd have to have a really clear, lab-proven case of estrogen dominance to consider DIM. But its not out of the realm of possibility (as I said, we are all ingesting and breathing toxins that get us out of whack thanks to these modern times we live in). But I think some of the guys who have been using DIM (some with success) might not be all that much older than he (but I'm not totally sure).

Well I just meant that at 17 his hormones might just correct themselves, if they are even out of balance...I would say that calcium d-glucarate or taurine might be appropriate, but where we're still not exactly sure of what DIM does to androgens, I would be nervous to reccomend it to a young guy like that unless as you said he actually got some tests done...In all honesty it would probably be wise for those who are not sure about estrogen dominance and taking DIM to get tests done...Depsite the fact that I have fibrocysts which are a sign of severe estrogen dominance, I'm still planning to ask my doc to test my levels at my next physical to make sure

Also I think it would be interesting to take a new poll in the next couple of weeks about DIm successes and failures...I know a couple of guys said it helped them, but it seems like a lot of the failures are male with only 1 or 2 female failures that I've seen? Although I guess many people are probably taking it and not reporting yet. Time will tell...

Just thought I should tell people that I contacted my doctor about DIM and she said that it was NOT OK TO TAKE.. I am a 17 year old male. Sorry to be a messenger of bad news. But I am disinclined to trust my doctor for some reason... To each their own... Good luck guys.

Did she give you a reason?

Considering what DIM is made from, I really don't see the problem with anyone taking it.

This morning I have been doing some research on DIM in the journal databases at my college, and I’m starting to wonder how safe DIM is to take. Not that it isn’t safe, just that there haven’t been enough clinical trials to prove the safety of the product yet.

I’m going to put the references and quote parts of the article. Due to the fact that you have to be logged in with my college to see it I can’t put links. But if you have access to journal databases then you can use the references to look them up.

"By the way, doctor; Which calcium supplement should I take?." Harvard Women's Health Watch (Feb 2005): NA. Expanded Academic ASAP. Gale. Stephen F Austin State University. 13 Mar. 2008

There may eventually be a place for DIM and related plant-derived chemicals in cancer prevention and treatment. But there is not enough information about all of their actions and little evidence of their effectiveness and safety. There's no scientific evidence that Indolplex will promote good health, and it could theoretically be harmful for some groups of women.

In women of reproductive age and especially in pregnant women, it seems ill advised to block estrogen activity because potent estrogens are needed to nourish breast, endometrial, and bone tissue. Also, a drug that reduces estrogen activity could interfere with oral contraceptives. In postmenopausal women, estrogen levels are so low that changing the ratio of estrogen metabolites may have little effect. At best, it might be useless; at worst, it could promote osteoporosis by reducing the small amounts of available estrogen that help maintain bone density.

We need to learn a lot more about DIM and related compounds from controlled human studies before the supplements can be recommended to large numbers of women. But there's no risk in eating lots of cruciferous vegetables -- and ample evidence of its benefit. The dollars you spend on Indolplex are probably better spent on broccoli and its relatives.

Minich, D.M., & Bland, J.S. (2007). A review of the clinical efficacy and safety of cruciferous vegetable phytochemicals. Nutrition Reviews. 65, 259-267.

This is a lit review which basically takes all the studies done on a specific topic and compiles all the results together (and they are terribly not fun to write, I can say from personal experience, haha). The big thing in the article to me is that there has only been 1 clinical trial (as of June 2007) with DIM and it lasted only 30 days. (however, the adverse reactions were only hot flashes, nausea, and a rash)

A review of the safety data indicates that there is more clinical data on I3C than on DIM. Therefore, more study subjects have taken I3C compared with DIM. At least 13 clinical studies on I3C have been published, of with a total of approximately 300 participants took oral supplements of I3C. The longest duration that a study subject took was 2 months (6.8 years). Only 3% of research subjects experience adverse events possibly related to I3C. On the other hand, there is only one published clinical trial on DIM, in which 10 postmenopausal women took DIM for 30 days. In contrast to I3C, 30% clinical trial subjects receive DIM reported adverse events that may have been due to the DIM supplement. Further studies with DIM will be able to elucidate whether the increased number of adverse events are due to the small sample size of this study and overall limited clinical trial experience.

Not sure what to think about it. This last study had women on it safely for 30 days, but they didn't do any follow up for any long term effects. I think maybe I might stay on it for 30 days at most and then switch to regulating through diet or other means (if it works at all)