Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jpizzle, if noone ever answered your question on one of the other threads, then "yes" i think it should be taken with food. And I think its best to be getting adequate fat in your diet because the toxins are removed by way of bile, etc.

From looking back on the posts, I think it has only be about 10-11 days for you now. What brand, dosage (along with your size), additional supplement, routine do you have? If you can't answer this to us, then we can't help you. If you don't want help, please don't post negative results when you might not even be making the proper effort with this treatment. I think we have helped others to "tweak" their program to get results and can help you to, but you have to give us more info to go on. Further, you may have to give it more time. Also, are you experiencing any other effects such as improved sleep, enhanced mood or negative response such as dry-mouth or headache?

and tell how much calcium d glucarate a day :P i consider morning, 2 nature way dim dopes.. along with 1 500mg calcium glucarate, and same evening, doping myself with 2 nature way and 1 500mg glucarate... but dont feel like raping my liver so just curious uhm

JPizzel, in the very first post about DIM, it says to take DIM with food at mealtime.

Yes, DIM is listed as healing inflamation. It is known for that. I noticed alot of my inflamed spots went down... although it took ten days for noticible oil reduction.

Day 4 on nature's way DIM

I am only taking 1 pill per day (for now) with food (I like to introduce new supplements slowly :))

I am also taking 500 mg MSM natural sulfur each day + amazing grass green superfood for general detox, I've considered adding CDG but haven't yet

In general about me: I'm a rather petite female (only 5'1'' and about 103 pounds), which is another reason I like to take small dosages! I've eliminated dairy and nuts from my diet for about 2.5 months now, and try to eat generally healthy but my diet is in no way extreme. I still eat carbs (but not to excess I don't think) all fruits, and even vegan chocolate. I also eat meat, and a good amount of fish/seafood. Here are the supplements I'm taking:

morning: 500 mg MSM natural sulfur, 1 probiotic, 1 vitex, 1 scoop amazing grass green superfood

afternoon/evening: 1 Nature's way DIM, 1 ca/magnesium/zinc, 1 vit. C (500 mg)

So far, no really bad side effects after adding DIM. My oil production seems normal, I was a little tired esp. the first two days but am feeling pretty good now. I do notice that I'm sleeping longer, which isn't a bad thing, but it also seems I've had some difficulty waking up the last few days. I'm not too concerned yet though. I can't really say whether DIM has helped my skin yet, I'll need another week or so to tell...I already had some spots coming out before I began DIM, so it's very hard to say. I don't think DIM has caused any bad IB for me.

SOrry this is so long! but I also thought I should say that I do believe that I'm estrogen dominant...I have fibrocysts and irregular periods, bloating and all of that fun stuff. I'm not sure if this is related, but I also have (very tiny) milia on my chest and upper arms and some light brown spots that look like freckles on my chest (they weren't there when I was younger, only after age 20 or so--after I had been on birth control...hmmmm)...I was reading that these are hormonal....SOOO let's see what happens with DIM...I hope that it can help with my estrogen dominance even if it doesn't help my acne very much!

Small Update

I added taurine (500 mg) to my regimen and also increased my dose of Nature's Way Dim-Plus. So now I take 2 Dim and 1 Taurine in the morning and the same at night. This morning is the first morning I have noticed a difference in that I wasn't as oily as normal, normally I have to wash my face first thing in the morning because the amount of oil drives me nuts, but this morning my face felt normal. I have had a coupe of smaller break outs right by my lips, however, my lips were severely chapped a couple of days ago and I was using massive amounts of chapstick so maybe that had some effect (I'm also PMSing right now, so who knows the cause). I'm anxious to see if any big ones pop out during this time of the week.

I was taken 2 pills once a day for the last 3 days. No results. I got big ones on my chin. :wall:

My spots look irritated as well. It's kinda weird. :doh:

I ordered two 30-pill containers of DIM last night. Once I get them, I'll be posting a day-to-day update on what is happening for me. I'm 16 by the way lol.

two weeks down, still no difference

Hey JPizzle,

How much DIM are you taking per day. Here's what the representative from Activamune write in on of his posting

DIM or Diindolylmethane does work for Acne because of three important biological properties: 1) it is a potent anti-androgen 2) it modulates the immune system and 3) it has potent anti-inflammatory properties.

Natural compounds, similar to therapeutics, have minimum dosages for biological efficacy. If you take them below a certain dosage, you will see no results as their concentration would be below their threshold for activity. For DIM, that minimum dosage is 2.5mg/kg of body weight, which is exactly the dosage within ActivaMune given the weight of the average American (80 kg). Therapeutic dosages of this compound in the clinic are being studied at 5mg/kg of body weight. You will need to take 8x the recommended dosage of Natures Way DIM which only provides 25mg of DIM to achieve the minimum DIM required for biological efficacy--that's 16 capsules per day, and 16x its daily dosage (or 32 capsules a day) to achieve what is currently in the clinic as the therapeutic dosage of DIM. Just thought I'd clarify that for you.

I don't know if he is just bullshitting to sell his product or what but that's something to consider I think

Al

Uhhh, I've been taking Nature's Way and it's had a dramatic impact on my face. He must be bull shitting...hope everything works out ok for your son Al ;)

Thanks valo_123,

I'm happy it's working for you, I hope it help my son too. I should be getting my order this week

Al

uhm.. do guys need to take calcium d glucarate or only ladies ? every google post about it is aimed for ladies :P

.. and can the liver really stand taking like 4+2+2 pills a day.. thats 8 :o i once took like 14 a day and ppl told me my liver wouldnt last my whole life with all those supplements pills so i stopped...

uhm.. do guys need to take calcium d glucarate or only ladies ? every google post about it is aimed for ladies :P

there's no reason it should be for ladies only, calcium d-glucarate helps to remove excess hormones, including estrogens through the liver

Actually I have a question: do you guys know if whole foods sells calcium d-glucarate?

I just received my order from that guy on ebay uk. They're 200mg tabs of pure DIM. I'm not gonna take them for a while yet tho - Hope you all don't mind being guinnea pigs... For me the jury's still out.

I just received my order from that guy on ebay uk. They're 200mg tabs of pure DIM. I'm not gonna take them for a while yet tho - Hope you all don't mind being guinnea pigs... For me the jury's still out.

[/quotee]

I don't blame you at all! It seems that some people are getting great results, some don't see any results, some get worse and some people just don't know yet...also we don't have anyone that has taken it for longer than a month or so.

I myself am still confused about whether DIM is something to take short term to balance hormones and then balance should be maintained with diet/lifestyle and perhaps calcium d-glucarate, or if DIM can be taken long term to stay in balance...Also I don't think we're really sure of exactly how DIM might work, it might be through balancing hormones or it might be for another reason...? Anyway, I think you're smart to wait and see, I'm just too impatient! :)

Ok, it's been 1 and 1/3 days. I'm taking 1 pill 3 times a day. So far it's too early to tell from the looks department on inflamed acne, but from the feel department I feel improvement. My face feels smoother. When I washed my face on Friday night after taking my first pill I could feel 3 noticeable lumps on my face. This morning after one full day of DIM I could only feel one noticeable lump. Also when washing I've noticed a couple of those hard little "plugs" that sometimes pop out come out of my skin.

Upon closer inspection of my nose I have a tiny thin clear strip where I have no more blackheads. I used to have a consistently filled blackhead pattern on my nose and this is the first time I've seen a clear patch on it :shock: I haven't felt thirstier than usual or headachey and my urine hasn't turned...red...like some people have reported :shifty:

I'm still doing everything that's in my signature minus the green tea and green tea toner. I decided to keep drinking my liver detox tea because it's been in my routine for so long and I wouldn't want to say "DIM made my acne worse" if I had a breakout, when dropping the tea could have caused it, not the DIM. My routine has been updated in my signature and it's consistent as of Feb. 26th, 2008. So I should be able to tell if it was the addition of DIM that caused improvement or not.

*Note: For those that wanted specific info. I'm male at 68kg. I've had success reducing my moderate acne to mild from a digestive perspective, and a liver perspective, but this is the first time I've tried attacking from a hormonal perspective. I've always suspected my hormones were out of whack and had an estrogen dominance and I'm hoping DIM finishes off the last of my remaining mild acne :pray:

good luck Panda!! keep us updated

So todays my 6th day on DIM. I have to say I've seen an improvement in the acne on my forehead. My face is still pretty oily, but the DIM is making my skin extra dry lately so I have to moisturize alot more and I plan on using the baby brush tonight to exfoliate. Im using natures way dim plus and Im taking the reccomended dosage for women which is 2pills 1x daily. I take them in the morning and I've noticed a little while after I take them my body feels sort of tired and i definitely am experiencing those headaches some people are talking about. I've had a headache atleast 3-4 out of the 6 days I've been on DIM which sucks because I've seen some results so far so I don't really want to stop but I can't be constantly feeling tired and crappy lol. The first day I took dim I felt like I was coming down with the flu I was in bed all day so right now I'm kinda stuck, I'm debating taking the calcium D along with my DIM because I heard that can help with some of the side effects. any suggestions??

Edit* In regards to the calcium D .. I really don't have much time to go to the stores because I am extra busy these days w/work but I found the vitaminshoppe brand on there website which has 50mg of calcium and 250mg of calcium d-glucarate. would that be good?

So todays my 6th day on DIM. I have to say I've seen an improvement in the acne on my forehead. My face is still pretty oily, but the DIM is making my skin extra dry lately so I have to moisturize alot more and I plan on using the baby brush tonight to exfoliate. Im using natures way dim plus and Im taking the reccomended dosage for women which is 2pills 1x daily. I take them in the morning and I've noticed a little while after I take them my body feels sort of tired and i definitely am experiencing those headaches some people are talking about. I've had a headache atleast 3-4 out of the 6 days I've been on DIM which sucks because I've seen some results so far so I don't really want to stop but I can't be constantly feeling tired and crappy lol. The first day I took dim I felt like I was coming down with the flu I was in bed all day so right now I'm kinda stuck, I'm debating taking the calcium D along with my DIM because I heard that can help with some of the side effects. any suggestions??

Edit* In regards to the calcium D .. I really don't have much time to go to the stores because I am extra busy these days w/work but I found the vitaminshoppe brand on there website which has 50mg of calcium and 250mg of calcium d-glucarate. would that be good?

hey nygirl,

i wouldn't quit yet...CDG is probably a good idea, I'm not sure which brand is best though...i'm sure the vitaminshoppe brand is fine, I'm thinking of ordering it myself...Make sure to drink a lot of water, it might help with your headaches...you might also try just one pill per day for a few days to see how you feel with that. This is my fourth day and I have experienced feeling tired after taking the DIM (I'm only taking 1 pill per day) but i haven't gotten any headaches and I feel generally ok...i'm also taking natural sulfur though (which serves a purpose similar to taurine)...in any case, these "detox" symptoms shouldn't last for more than a week or two total, so if you still feel this way in a week and even after adding CDG you might want to drop the DIM but don't quit yet! good luck!

I knew this would be my miracle cure! I received my DIM on Tuesday morning, I opted for the DIM, the guy on Ebay was selling, 200mg Pure DIM. I have been taking one in the morning after breakfast and one at night. The first three days, I saw no improvement, although I did sleep better on that starter night and that has continued throughout the week, so that's a good sign. Unlike others, my skin didn't get dry or anything from this, it had no impact on my skin, until Friday morning, when I noticed my face was allot less red, and the blackheads on my nose had completely disappeared! I was astonished, seeing as nothing seemed to get rid of them before, and now, they just fell off during the night!. I also noticed on Sat morning the two spots I had on my chin reduced in size dramatically, and that my overall skin colour was more evened out. I didn't have that many spots, but many blackheads and clogged pores. And now i can safely say i am relatively clear! (Now all I need to do is get rid of my red marks, which do seem lighter, so hopefully they will continue to fade) , I kind of knew this would work for me, as I knew my acne was hormonal. But i didn't know how quick it would work. Dramatic results in under a week!

Hormonal acne is what most of us have, especially teenagers, go figure that DIM, an hormonal balancer would work. I urge all of you to try this, it's worked for my acne, but many other bodily aspects as well! Better mood, sleep and more energy.

Thanks

Alex

I knew this would be my miracle cure! I received my DIM on Tuesday morning, I opted for the DIM, the guy on Ebay was selling, 200mg Pure DIM. I have been taking one in the morning after breakfast and one at night. The first three days, I saw no improvement, although I did sleep better on that starter night and that has continued throughout the week, so that's a good sign. Unlike others, my skin didn't get dry or anything from this, it had no impact on my skin, until Friday morning, when I noticed my face was allot less red, and the blackheads on my nose had completely disappeared! I was astonished, seeing as nothing seemed to get rid of them before, and now, they just fell off during the night!. I also noticed on Sat morning the two spots I had on my chin reduced in size dramatically, and that my overall skin colour was more evened out. I didn't have that many spots, but many blackheads and clogged pores. And now i can safely say i am relatively clear! (Now all I need to do is get rid of my red marks, which do seem lighter, so hopefully they will continue to fade) , I kind of knew this would work for me, as I knew my acne was hormonal. But i didn't know how quick it would work. Dramatic results in under a week!

Hormonal acne is what most of us have, especially teenagers, go figure that DIM, an hormonal balancer would work. I urge all of you to try this, it's worked for my acne, but many other bodily aspects as well! Better mood, sleep and more energy.

Thanks

Alex

excellent news.

i too feel i have hormonal acne i'm on day 3 and i think i might be seeing a slight improvement but nothing dramatic enough to make it clear that it's working.

are you taking taurine/sulfur/or CDG?

No I'm not taking anything to aid DIM, I just thought it was getting too complicated introducing all these supplements to help DIM. Although I have got Vitamin E on order, which helps with DIM absorption. I was thinking of taking sulfur, but would really like to keep from taking too many supplements, what advantages does sulfur give?

Alex

I am not gonna take it anymore. At least not for a few weeks. Seems it irritates my skin or something. Maybe I cannot mix it with all other pills I am taking. My skin looks irritated. My spot are pretty small but they look soo red. Even one of my family members commented my face for the first time in my life saying what the hell is wrong with me. :wall: :wall: :wall: