Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mbrentb

vanoxide HC + amoxicillin = clear skin

My face is finally clear after having acne most of my adolescent and post-adolescent life. I realize some people here object to using antibiotics but it's the only thing that has worked for me, and I am not a candidate for accutane. This may not work for you but you should ask your doctor if you cannot find relief with topical medication alone:

500mg amoxicillin 2x a day

tiny bit of vanoxide HC (benzoyl peroxide + hydrocortisone) morning and night

gentle cleanser

moisturizer with SPF (both neutrogena)

Be aware that the amoxicillin takes at least three months to begin working and longer to have complete action--you just have to be patient. And while the vanoxide can dry out your skin, it is good at preventing new nodules. The hydrocortisone is very very low concentration--higher concentrations can actually cause acne--and it relieves redness and decreases inflammation. This is very important if you, like me have inflammatory nodules that seem to last forever on the surface of your skin--even after the initial acne infection goes away. Use a good moisturizer and be patient.

I also take supplements of probiotic cultures (acidophilis, bifidum, etc.) to avoid the effects of antibiotic-induced diarrhea and the other problems that can result.

How old are you? I am 25 male, used everything but accutane, and now I am trying again amoxocillin 500 mg 3 times a day. I have been on the amoxocillin for a month, no results. In the best Amoxy would clear me up for a short time. I use a gentle cleanser and BP twice daily. I have moderate acne mostly just a few cysts at a time. I am going to go to accutane shortly as I can tell the amoxocillin isnt going to work. My derm told me the amoxocillin will work in the first month. I am done screwing with anti-biotics hoping they will work. Its time to get serious and take accutane.

I think your amoxocillin results will be short lived if you have a serious case of acne, but hopefully it works for you and maybe its just that time in your life that acne is vanishing.

How old are you? I am 25 male, used everything but accutane, and now I am trying again amoxocillin 500 mg 3 times a day. I have been on the amoxocillin for a month, no results. In the best Amoxy would clear me up for a short time. I use a gentle cleanser and BP twice daily. I have moderate acne mostly just a few cysts at a time. I am going to go to accutane shortly as I can tell the amoxocillin isnt going to work. My derm told me the amoxocillin will work in the first month. I am done screwing with anti-biotics hoping they will work. Its time to get serious and take accutane.

I think your amoxocillin results will be short lived if you have a serious case of acne, but hopefully it works for you and maybe its just that time in your life that acne is vanishing.

Your derm needs to go back to med school. The Amox did not have a large effect for about 4 1/2-5 (really in the 6-7) month. I started on 500mg 2x a day then upped it to 3x a day around the fourth month and I am still on 3x a day now. Thats along with no dairy and junk food. My derm told me 3 months to see the start of its effects. I also used SA pads alot, those helped alot with keeping pores open. I'm 95-98% clear(just a few unnoticeable clogged pores) because of Amox.