Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Heretohelp

Like to know your thoughts

I'm 19 and have never had a GF. My skin has broken out since the age of 16-17.

In the last 2-3 years, (since I have really been exposed to girls -went to all guys school) many girls have wanted to go out with me (by asking me directly, told through their friends etc).

My skin actually isn't that bad. I guess the problem is that when I do breakout, I usually get pretty large pustules which aren't nice (moderate acne in very small doses).

Essentially, I don't want a girlfriend at the moment because I believe that it wouldn't be fair to the girl. Why? Because there would be times when I really wouldn't want to go out and see her because I would want her to be close to me but I wouldn't be comfortable about my skin.

When I do get a girlfriend, I want to ALWAYS be there when she wants to see me (not just when I feel good about my skin) and happy to talk to her/hold her closely.

You may think.."Bugger your skin, get a GF!" Yes, I can understand what you are saying. But, to be honest, I would prefer to wait it out to be a better boyfriend in the future than an ordinary one right now.

dude if thats really how you feel, focus on your shit for now. i read so many damn posts in here like i want a gf why cant i get one blah blah. im not saying thats what you're saying but its just that seriously, people put too much focus on having a gf or bf. its really just a plus in life. focus on you for now. and i'm sure by the time you really have your acne under control you'll really be ready to get in a relationship. eh..just a suggestion. :D

In the last 2-3 years, (since I have really been exposed to girls -went to all guys school) many girls have wanted to go out with me (by asking me directly, told through their friends etc).

My skin actually isn't that bad. I guess the problem is that when I do breakout, I usually get pretty large pustules which aren't nice (moderate acne in very small doses).

Essentially, I don't want a girlfriend at the moment because I believe that it wouldn't be fair to the girl. Why? Because there would be times when I really wouldn't want to go out and see her because I would want her to be close to me but I wouldn't be comfortable about my skin.

When I do get a girlfriend, I want to ALWAYS be there when she wants to see me (not just when I feel good about my skin) and happy to talk to her/hold her closely.

You may think.."Bugger your skin, get a GF!" Yes, I can understand what you are saying. But, to be honest, I would prefer to wait it out to be a better boyfriend in the future than an ordinary one right now.

You can date girls, that doesn't necessarily mean that you turn them into your girlfriend. You sound very young, so maybe you are not even mentally prepared for a committed relationship right now. Also, I know how you feel about wanting to stay in/keep to yourself when you have breakouts. When my acne was bad, I felt the same way, but the guys I was dating still wanted to be around me. Just remember that you have to be comfortable with yourself regardless of the condition of your skin....also, remember that life is full of trials and tribulations. If its not your skin, it will be something else. Trust me. Also, its not realistice to spend ALL your time with your girlfriend anyway. You both will need your own seperate quiet time, and there's nothing wrong with that. Either get over your fear of having a girlfriend while having acne, or just wait and wait and wait until your skin clears up to start your dating life.

I havent had a GF or any "real" female contact for like a year and a half now (Im 19) but Im fine with that, since this last year and a half my skin has been unbelieveably severe and my confidence and self esteem has been completely shot down.

So basically Im waiting and focusing on clearing up my skin before I get back into the world of boobs :D

Even if I had the choice to have a GF right now I think I would refuse, as I probably wouldnt feel comfortable/wouldnt feel myself and Id have too many things on my mind.

Thanks guys.

Giovanni, you make a very good point about the motivation thing. This was probably a post that didn't require a response. I think I treated this thread more like my own diary rather than a forum.

JoeBloggs, I can't say that I feel your pain because I have never had severe acne (although at times it may have felt like it). I wish you all the best.

Ms. E, thank you for your words of advice. Dating girls? Hmm. I'm not really sure that I'm the dating type to be honest. I know that sounds weird but I would prefer to just meet girls as friends then just hang out with them later on (I guess that is dating lol). What I mean is that I wouldnt just ask something out who I just met.

HostileTakeover, yes I continue to (try) make myself a better person. Thank you for your response.

starfish13, your suggestion makes a lot of sense. In fact, I have never been the type who was desperate for a partner or anything like that. Being 19 now has made me a little self conscious about it, I think. Anyway, one thing in life I try to fight is self-consiousness. I'll add this source of self consiousness to the basket. Thanks again.

I think you've kind of answered your own question as to why you might not have a girlfriend.

It's not that you can't get one, it's because you may feel insecure about how you look right now due to acne that you choose not to get one.

I'm now a freshman in college, and I parted ways with a girlfriend in high school (no long distance relationships >.<), and here in college, it's not like I know I can't GET a girlfriend. Girls look at so much things in guys ~ sure, appearance might be one of them, but most of them care also about personality, self confidence, etc.

Heck, if all the "flawed" people in the world couldn't find a girlfriend/boyfriend, what would happen to the human population? Love is so much more than just looks (and going just by looks isn't love; that's just going for physical pleasure).

I mean, I totally understand how you feel. Sometimes even I do think "Maybe I'll start looking for a girlfriend once my skin becomes better". But, don't let that kind of a thought fool you. Regardless of how confident-less you feel about your skin, I guarantee you, to most girls, you having clear skin is probably like not even 5% of judging whether they'd want to be your girl or not.

Good luck!