Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I guess I'm posting here because I'd like some opinions from girls and guys. As of right now, I wear absolutely no makeup. So basically, I also look terrible. However, I know that if I wore makeup and put some effort into how I look, it would be a world of difference. But the thing is, I keep thinking that there is no point, that if I don't have flawless skin, there's no point in pretending I do and all I'm doing is being fake. Can someone convince me otherwise??

I guess I'm posting here because I'd like some opinions from girls and guys. As of right now, I wear absolutely no makeup. So basically, I also look terrible. However, I know that if I wore makeup and put some effort into how I look, it would be a world of difference. But the thing is, I keep thinking that there is no point, that if I don't have flawless skin, there's no point in pretending I do and all I'm doing is being fake. Can someone convince me otherwise??

haha I feel the same way sometimes. My mom has always worn makeup and I was naturally raised to believe that all women wore makeup, because of her example. Yet, during the past few months I've come to think about makeup in a whole other light, for myself. I do wear it when I go out, but I wish I didn't have to. I wish the world didn't begin making new standards for beauty, because then people do judge you for not being flawless, when really the flawless-ness is rare, and so many people are just.. fake. I don't want to be fake, but I hate my skin. I also love my long eyelashes, but they are blonde, so I put mascara on them.. but then I always stare at myself when I have makeup on and think "I hate that I look so much better with makeup on, because this is not what I just simply look like without any work, and I hate that..I hate makeup!"

Yeah. Makeup sucks. But I wear it. haha

I don't wear "naturual looking make-up" - for me, my face is a canvas and it's a great place to be playful, to do art. I do the gothie/bohemehmian thing with make-up and I have fun with it.

I will never be model-quality bueatiful. But I CAN be striking, and if make-up can help me achieve that, then by god, that's fine by me. The poster who brought up the braces thing had a really good point with that, too.

@ giovanni, yeah good point...everything is fake these days...but do I have to be the same? Well I guess so, and I guess that's just life. I think the hardest part is just accepting that.

@ myartisfashion, I grew up the same way, the thing is makeup for me was what made something good...perfect! So I think that's why part of me, or a lot of me, has completely rejected wearing makeup...because I didn't/don't have something good, so it was like "What's the point?" Or perhaps "I don't deserve it." Does that make sense? It's like, if I see a girl with flawless skin, who is wearing a little bit of makeup (not eye makeup, etc but powder or whatever), I don't think, "Oh she doesn't need it," I just think about how perfect her skin looks. And I think that because since I don't have that good jumping off point, the end result will not be perfect. So it's like, "If I'm not perfect...I might as well be the polar opposite." Now that doesn't make sense!!

@ Elsewhere, You know I absolutely loved what you said about being striking...I don't know, it just seems like it would be so much better than plain old model-quality beautiful!

However, I know that if I wore makeup and put some effort into how I look, it would be a world of difference.

well i use to feel the same way but then i began using makeup and i felt great about myself....more confident...and confidence is priceless...its also NOT fake! i wear makeup cuz i want others to see me the way i see myself...yea some grls are lucky they dont have bad skin and dont have to wear foundation and i do..but y should i give in to that? the way i look at it is im just wearing makeup in order to feel normal...i have bad skin and so normalcy is very important to me...

If you think make-up has some magical quality--that it's going to make you "perfect", then you shouldn't be using it.

The braces argument is flawed. Braces are a permanent fix, whereas makeup is just a band-aid solution. The braces statement is comparable to saying, "what?! You workout to lose weight? Your being fake!".

As I said, makeup is covering up some flaws you have, and can't really be compared with something that is a "permanent fix". I mean, would you feel fake about buying a cream that would permanently rid you of all your spots?

To the original poster, I don't think there is anything wrong with makeup if you are comfortable with it. In my opinion, it is not much different then wearing expensive clothes or fancy jewelry.

The braces argument is flawed. Braces are a permanent fix, whereas makeup is just a band-aid solution. The braces statement is comparable to saying, "what?! You workout to lose weight? Your being fake!".

As I said, makeup is covering up some flaws you have, and can't really be compared with something that is a "permanent fix". I mean, would you feel fake about buying a cream that would permanently rid you of all your spots?

To the original poster, I don't think there is anything wrong with makeup if you are comfortable with it. In my opinion, it is not much different then wearing expensive clothes or fancy jewelry.

I don't wear "naturual looking make-up" - for me, my face is a canvas and it's a great place to be playful, to do art. I do the gothie/bohemehmian thing with make-up and I have fun with it.

I will never be model-quality bueatiful. But I CAN be striking, and if make-up can help me achieve that, then by god, that's fine by me. The poster who brought up the braces thing had a really good point with that, too.

well someone once mentioned on here that people ahve been wearing makeup for thousands of years.. just look at the egyptians and so forth. there has always been makeup doing in our history.......which i found inspiring.. buT

from my point of view it is like this. makeup/foundation is generally a crutch for most people who feel they cannot be seen without it or arent as confident without it. and in my case.. it is this way. i would give most anything to b flawless and scarless and to b able to go to school with no makeup on whatsoever and feel just as confident. SO - from my standpoint i feel like you've worn makeup be4.. u know how it feels........ and ure very liberated without it. which is amazing. At times i feel like i dont want this "dirt" this "makeup" on my face keeping me from rubbing my eye... or snuggling up with all this crap on my face.. cuz really despite the fact that it is an 'art' it is a tool a beauty...... that allows us to look more 'polished' in a mainstream sense. but to me--- real confidence is more important. and that means being able to be just as confident without the makeup......... which u have mastered beautifully ! i too feel in a way i would like to show the world my skin. my scars. so that i felt more secure with myself. to me when im made up its like a quick fix.. but i dont even prefer the unnatural 'pretty look' to the bare faced comfortable one. i just put it on reluctantly to try and get relief from ym anxiety attached to my skin 'issues'.

and its also how u interpret it. its not about the 'makeup is not for everyone'.. its more like.. u shud b experiencing your own face without having to feel as tho u need to cover it up. this is how it shud b.. and in general i guess what im saying and hwat id like to b able to LIVE in my own personal life is.......... FUCK WHAT YA HEARD GO BARE AND CONFIDENT. SET AN EXAMPLE + natural makeup-less beauty is in!

Wear it with pride! My skin is bad and looks awful without makeup. I feel so much more confident when I wear it. It won't fix the problem, but certainly hides the flaws.

And if it makes you feel more confident in facing the world, then there's no reason to think you shouldn't wear it. I agree with the poster above who said to experiment with powders, foundations, etc. You can find something that looks natural for your skin type. And I also like what Elsewhere said about the face being a canvas. That's part of the fun of being female, you can change your look daily and to the rest of the world, it's normal female behavior.

I remember being told

that the idea is to enhance your natural beauty with cosmetics

really though,

i think that little girls are pretty much sold down the river by this society we are born into

they sell makeup and clothes to toddlers with Bratz and Barbie...

but personally,

i don't feel feminine without mascara and brow color on.. so i am just as bad as most.

maybe makeup is a show, but i don't put makeup on for other people really,

i wear it for myself, as someone said before confidence is priceless,

its totally true.

but ultimately this is something you are gonna have to figure out for yourself,

if you feel like you are being more true to yourself by not painting on any makeup,

than more power to you girl!

but if you try it, and it makes you feel better about yourself, then you won anyway!

i guess its all in how you are going to feel about it.

but if you have never worn makeup, how would you really know?

i know what you mean. i tend to wear makeup because it makes it easier to face people, yet i am left feeling fake. i probably shouldn't think that way, but deep down i'm left feeling like a fraud. i wish i had the courage to go out without it. but i have to admit i'm more comfortable when it's on.

You don't have to wear like a mask of make-up 'cause then yeah, that is

fake. Just some nice eye make-up and a lip gloss or something like that,

that's what I do, it's not a lot but just enough to feel prettier :D

Sipps, let's see if I can't make this work..let me know if the links don't work....it's mostly playing around with *really* heavy eyeshadow and some heavy eyeliner.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/Quir...=Picture091.jpg

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/Quir...=Picture079.jpg

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/Quir...urrent=blue.jpg

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...imageID=3361901

In the summer, I get kind of crazy with the colored liquid eyeliners and will do the whole "Cleopatra's Eyes" liner with two colors right next to each other like green and purple (two staples of my eye color schematics!) or black and red.

Like I said, I'll never be beuatiful. But I can damn sure be interesting looking. :)

I actually used to wear more makeup when I had clear skin...I don't know how to explain it. I guess when I say "makeup" I mean powder, cover up, etc and not lipstick/eyeliner because the way I see it, my lips and eyes are fine and don't need anything (although I love a little bit of black eyeliner on my lower lid and mascara) but my skin does need something. Obviously I'm not happy being bare, and a lot of people think about it like its this liberating experience...for me, it was at first, but now it's just not...it's just painful because I know I look terrible while everyone one around me looks great. So I guess I just need to pick myself up and start making more of an effort because this whole "why bother?" thing is getting old...I mean for the past 5 months I've been shuffling around school, wearing practically the same thing everyday, and being depressed...talk about letting myself go! And you know, I think that if I wore some makeup, I would feel happier and be able to forget about this stuff because I think it's come the point of an obsession. There is absolutely no reason why I should put myself and my life on hold until this or until that. Right now, the issue has to do with my skin, but what's interesting is that I've always had that kind of thinking, basically putting off living until something else was fulfilled. Of course, those things rarely were fulfilled, or at least not the way that I had foreseen in my mind, and therefore I realize how much time I've wasted waiting...just waiting.

Isn't funny how something like makeup has so many more implications?

Sipps, let's see if I can't make this work..let me know if the links don't work....it's mostly playing around with *really* heavy eyeshadow and some heavy eyeliner.

In the summer, I get kind of crazy with the colored liquid eyeliners and will do the whole "Cleopatra's Eyes" liner with two colors right next to each other like green and purple (two staples of my eye color schematics!) or black and red.

Like I said, I'll never be beuatiful. But I can damn sure be interesting looking. :)

well someone once mentioned on here that people ahve been wearing makeup for thousands of years.. just look at the egyptians and so forth. there has always been makeup doing in our history.......which i found inspiring.. buT

from my point of view it is like this. makeup/foundation is generally a crutch for most people who feel they cannot be seen without it or arent as confident without it. and in my case.. it is this way. i would give most anything to b flawless and scarless and to b able to go to school with no makeup on whatsoever and feel just as confident. SO - from my standpoint i feel like you've worn makeup be4.. u know how it feels........ and ure very liberated without it. which is amazing. At times i feel like i dont want this "dirt" this "makeup" on my face keeping me from rubbing my eye... or snuggling up with all this crap on my face.. cuz really despite the fact that it is an 'art' it is a tool a beauty...... that allows us to look more 'polished' in a mainstream sense. but to me--- real confidence is more important. and that means being able to be just as confident without the makeup......... which u have mastered beautifully ! i too feel in a way i would like to show the world my skin. my scars. so that i felt more secure with myself. to me when im made up its like a quick fix.. but i dont even prefer the unnatural 'pretty look' to the bare faced comfortable one. i just put it on reluctantly to try and get relief from ym anxiety attached to my skin 'issues'.

and its also how u interpret it. its not about the 'makeup is not for everyone'.. its more like.. u shud b experiencing your own face without having to feel as tho u need to cover it up. this is how it shud b.. and in general i guess what im saying and hwat id like to b able to LIVE in my own personal life is.......... FUCK WHAT YA HEARD GO BARE AND CONFIDENT. SET AN EXAMPLE + natural makeup-less beauty is in!

even tho im a guy and makeup is a option, i choose not to cuz it doesnt solve the problem, i want my acne completely gone and dont want to have to apply makeup to conceal it. i want my acne gone or i'll show it cuz theyll eventually see it later

lol - thanks. Somedays it's the compliments I get here that keep me going! But, yeah, make-up doesn't have to be about concealing. Sometimes it's just about playing!