Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cavillor

Moisturizer's ingredients found on comedogenicity list

Take those lists as a recommendation, not the be-all end-all of skincare. ;)

They can be a good way for you to see if a particular product is full of bad stuff, but just because a product might contain a "bad" ingredient or two doesn't necessarily mean it's going to break you out. It can depend on the amount of the ingredient in question that is actually in the product. A small amount of a supposed offending ingredient may not cause problems whereas if it were in there in a great concentration, it would. The two ingredients you mentioned are not toward the top of the list, so they are not in there in a great quantity.

I like this particular list, btw. http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acne_detective/article6.htm

Keep in mind that not all the lists agree with each other, so it can be confusing sometimes. But they are a good guideline.

I don't think there's anything in Dan's moisturizer that rates above a 3, as far as I know.

I've tried to find products for years that don't have at least one 'bad' ingredient and it's near impossible. It mostly depends on the concentration.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for this post. I have been driving myself crazy trying to find a "safe" moisturizer.

I read something interesting about the difference between non-comedogenic and non-occlusive. For example, beeswax is non-comedogenic, because it doesn't directly block pores, but it is occlusive, because it "traps" your skin. This site says occlusive products are moisturizers because they create a barrier between your skin and the world to keep moisture in, but that this can sometimes be as much a problem as a solution because they also keep all the toxicity that your skin would normally allow to exit your body. Makes me afraid to try just about everything now! The product that is completely non-comedogenic AND non-occlusive seems like a holy grail. I agree with Brandy about the concentration. I think realistically successful moisturizers can be found, and that the products we choose will depend on what works with EACH individual's skin type. Some people love Cetaphil moisturizer, for example, and others say it makes them oily and causes break outs.

A cautionary tale: I actually never had a big problem with acne. Just some outbreaks as a young teen, then the occasional red bumps on my chin through high school and college, and then, for several months, I was absolutely clear! Then I decided I wanted to stop using questionable chemicals (I'd used neutrogena-on-the-spot for years) and I tried burt's bees blemish stick. It's made almost entirely of different oils, including tea-tree oil, the anti-bacterial agent. I was skeptical of the amount of oil but trusted that the burt's bees would not use oils that cause pimples for their BLEMISH stick--I was WRONG. This experiment resulted in the worst acne of my life. Luckily, thanks to this site, I'm now dealing mostly with the red mark aftermath and a pair of little red bumps. And the peeling...

Right now, I'm using Dan's wash and bp gel because they feel safe to me, and I'm using Neutrogena oil-free moisture (spf 15), which I like, but doesn't miraculously remove my peeling. I'm going to start using the one for combination skin during the night--I don't need spf to go to sleep, after all!

Thanks again for bringing this subject up.