Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
merf

Conquering My Hormonal Acne

I know that you suffer with acne, but apart from that, your skin looks in good condition. It doesn't appear dry and it apart from the actual pimple, your skin doesn't look discoloured or pigmented. Once you've sorted out what regimen works for you, you will have lovely skin!

I would also recommend Evening Primrose Oil and zinc - neither "cured" my acne but since I started taking zinc especially, my spots were definitely less inflamed.

Week 5, Day 1

Diet:

My diet has been pretty good, but I have cheated and had some sweets recently. Specifically, a scone yesterday and today. So, let's see how that affects my skin next week.

Skin condition:

My skin is actually feeling pretty good in the last day or so. There are not many cysts or deep spots. I still have a lot of marks, and some active spots, but it's the deep stuff that really bothers me. When I wash my face, my skin doesn't hurt and it actually feels pretty smooth. This is promising.

Regimen Changes:

I've been putting polysporin on 1-2 spots per night and covering with a bandaid. Particularly spots that I pick/pop or that are inflamed. Also, I started taking salmon oil, evening primrose oil, and a probiotic each day, in addition to my Clear Advantage supplement (zinc, B6, etc.)

I know what you mean about the "deep stuff" - little surface whiteheads or whatever, whilst being annoying, aren't as bad as The Big Ones.....

And on the subject of EPO, I found that I had to take over the recommended dosage! I take 3x 1050mg daily.

8 weeks, 6 days on regimen:

I haven't updated in forever. Isn't that what happens when things are going well? ;-)

So here's the deal. My skin has been steadily getting better. I don't have any big cysts, and everything deep beneath the skin has cleared up. Still have surface breakouts and blackheads, and lots of scabs and red marks from where I continue to pick at my face. If I'd just stop picking, I think I'd be a lot better off.

I took pics last week which I will post tomorrow, along with my week 9 pics.

My plan is to stay on my current regimen for another 4 weeks at least, then start weaning off the Doryx.

Hey Merf, Glad things are going better. My derm took me off Differin and put me on Just Tazorac cream .5% ad Minocycline. As of today I'm 100% with just redmarks and scars. I'd like to get off the mino but I'm afraid I will start breaking out. The good news is it's that time of the month and no zits. Remarkable accomplishment.

Stick with the differin. But think about Tazorac if you want to up the ante. I love the stuff and since I was on Differin for 6 weeks prior, I didn't even have an initial breakout.

Good Luck!

Hey Merf, Glad things are going better. My derm took me off Differin and put me on Just Tazorac cream .5% ad Minocycline. As of today I'm 100% with just redmarks and scars. I'd like to get off the mino but I'm afraid I will start breaking out. The good news is it's that time of the month and no zits. Remarkable accomplishment.

Stick with the differin. But think about Tazorac if you want to up the ante. I love the stuff and since I was on Differin for 6 weeks prior, I didn't even have an initial breakout.

Good Luck!

Good Luck!

Merf,

Glad to hear you are doing well. I was reading your log pretty regular when you posted so I wondererd what happened! Good to hear it was for good reasons!