Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
redbird552

PLEASE READ....I NEED HELP!!!!

I had very very very severe acne on my chest and back when I was about 17 years old. I am almost 21 now, and I am still too embarrassed to take off my shirt in front of people. I feel like I am the only person that has this stupid problem, because I know none of my friends had to go through this. I started getting acne on my chest and my back when I was about 16 years old. My acne became VERY SEVERE when i was about 19 years old. My chest and back were disgusting. I had HUGE cysts ALL over my chest. It would hurt for me when I showered because the water pressure would pelt at my cysts, and I would some times almost cry because the pain is sooo unbelievable.

My dermatologist finally put me on Claravis, which is the generic brand of Accutane. I was on Claravis for 6 months, and I am pretty happy with the results. My face has pretty much cleared up completely, but I didn't have that much acne on my face. There are still little dots and what not on my back, not any huge cysts, but I don't have a clear back. I'm hoping those will fade away pretty soon. On my chest, all of the huge bloody cysts that I once had are gone, and faded into scars. Now, I have these red bumps, which I know are scars, all over my chest. The scarrs are almost as bad as just having acne it feels like. I still can't take my shirt off in front of people, and it is so embarrassing! I should be able to go to the beach with my friends, or go swimming, or change in front of people, like any other normal human being. This has really taken a toll on me, and I am ready to be a new person.

I went to my dermatologist, and she told me there isn't a whole lot she can do with the scars. She did inject my chest with....I don't even know what it is...Isoteroin or somethin?? She said it should help with the redness and hopefully smoothe out my skin. Well its been a little more than a month since I have gotten the injections, and I GUESS you can the scars have slightly disappeared. She told me the rest will just fade with time. I'm sorry, but I don't have all the time in the world! I am a 20 year old college student, and I can't even go on Spring Break with my friends because I am disgusted by the way I look without a shirt on, and I don't want to gross my friends out.

WHAT CAN I DO??? I have been washing with this PerOxyl bar meant to help cure acne on back/chest. I'm hoping that will help clear up what is on my back. Besides that, I really don't know what else to do. If I go tanning in a tanning bed, will that help fade my scars?? Because I am really considering that. Is there any home made solution I can make that will help?? I am so desperate and just want to be able to go swimming this summer, so I will try anything!!!

PLEASE PEOPLE I REALLY NEED YOU HELP!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read my story...

Perhaps you could try a glycolic acid peel. Just do some research online for an at-home glycolic acid peel at around 30%. While it may be tempting to go for the higher percentages, it might do more damage to the skin if you are not used to the higher percentages. I think I am actually going to use this for some scarring. So, I will keep you posted if it works.

You could also try to use a retinol topical cream but that stuff is very expensive!

Tanning might not help because it might just make the scars more noticeable.

I am Italian so I have extra melanin which adds to my hyperpigmentation whenever I have a blemish. Are you lighter or darker skinned?

I suggest Nucelle Mandelic Acid Serum or Paula's Choice Weightless Body Treatment with 2% BHA.

The Mandelic serum really fades scars, but it's a bit pricey. The other choice is much cheaper, but I don't know if it works or not.

I have the same problem you do man, and I hate to tell you this but I've been all over and all of the plastic surgeons are crooks who don't really know what to do with our type.

This is assuming you are the same type, what kind of scars do you have? They can't really do anything about texture, but they can get rid of redness very effectively. So if you're lucky enough to just have red spots all over then you're in luck. If you had the cysts that bled and gooed like mine then you may be left with the weirdly textured scars. I haven't found anything that works or even heard of anything. Sadly, no one really cares about our type because there's no money to be made here since the problem is so rare.

I'm sorry to be a downer, there are ways to help. They probably injected cortisone into your scars if they were raised keloids or hypertrophic scars. They can get flatten out anything that's significantly raised for the most part. They can use lasers or peels to get rid of redness. I've been doing that and it makes the texture the only problem basically. I've also been using the panoxyl bar to keep my skin dry on my back which also makes it a bit red (like a tan) and kind of swells the skin a bit too so the scarring doesn't look too bad.

It's bad though dude, it's terrible. People like us have to suffer. There's no way around it. The best thing for us is to somehow get over the mental hurdle. If anyone knows of anything that works at all please let us know!

Oh my gosh! I know how you feel bro! I have those nasty raised scars on my chest. It looks horrible, and I hate taking off my shirt because of them. And that's just my chest! On my back I have like... several craters! *shivers* I hate it sooooo much because, well, sometimes I feel like I'll never be able to get married because of it. I duno. I just don't feel sexy... at all. What girl is going to want to rest her head on some guys chest covered in nasty scares even HE can't stand to look at?! *long sigh*

And I completely know what you're talking about not being able to go swimming and stuff. It's torture. Worse yet, I really don't think there's a cure... or ever will be a cure. Just like when you lose your leg... sure... there's stuff you can do about it... but you are NEVER getting your leg back. Period! It's just something ya gotta live with.

What I hate about this chest acne most though, is the fact that girls can't even see it or know it's there when I have my shirt on. They're just going to see my cute face and get the wrong idea. Hell, at least with your leg missing, there's no secrets and what they see is what they get. But for acne? The probably won't see it until they're in bed with you or something... and then it's too late. :wall:

Duke-

That's the point I've been trying to make forever. Everyone talks about how much worse scarring is on the face (nevermind that the scars are way smaller than anything we get on our bodies) but it's the way we hide it which is terrible. At least with facial scarring it's out there in the open and girls can see it right away, so you know if you're with them they accept that. With the body like when you're in bed I like have to turn off all the lights and stuff. It's terrible. I hate hiding. I love swimming but I can't do it anymore.