Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
resistanceisfutile

smoking cigs while on accutane, any feedback appreciated

im 18 , almost 19 and i smoke, only about 2-3 cigarettes a day (i dont smoke anything else or do any drugs, i am strongly against drugs), but i was just wondering if this effects the process or if anyone has any info on this sort of stuff. Please let me know, thank you

yea i mean i dont see how it would cause more pimples or make acne worse. i know over time it does have its effects on your skin and all that but then i guess smoking is just as bad as tanning isnt it , but people dont realize that !

I was smoking for a time back when I was on Accutane, I don't really feel that it had any interactions per say with the Accutane itself. However, every time I would go see my dermatologist, she would ask me if I had quit smoking yet. One day I finally asked her if smoking was making me break out. She told me that there wasn't conclusive "proof", but that she thought it did. Since I wasn't addicted, I only really smoked socially, I decided to quit and see what happened. I noticed a significant reduction in breakouts within a couple weeks. I haven't smoked (cigarettes :shifty:) since. I suppose one could hypothesize quite a bit about how cigarettes could make acne-prone people break out. For instance, It releases toxins into your bloodstream, cuts down your lung capacity thus reducing your oxygen intake, degrades circulation, leads to elevated stress levels, and not to mention that smoke is going all over your face when you take a drag... could it be clogging pores? Idk. Also, they say that cigarettes make smokers look older than they are by "ravaging" their skin, Idk how that is exactly, but you can tell when you look at people whom have been smoking for a long time. I'm not trying to tell you to quit here, I honestly don't care if you smoke, and even though I don't smoke anymore, I still hate when people go off on smokers about how they're "ruining" themselves. It's like who really cares? I don't. It's just a personal choice. I made a personal choice to quit smoking because I noticed a difference in my skin, and I didn't even really like smoking. Oh and also, it's virtually impossible to get a date with a non-smoker if you smoke... but you knew that already no?

Anyway, best wishes.

thanks for your reply, some good advice there. Im still not 100 % sure what to think , but i think i'll just cut back to 1 a day or at least try to. I am discreet about my smoking because im not proud of it and i know that people frown upon it and i have a girlfriend whose a non smoker but she doesnt know that i smoke although shes smelt it on me on a few occasions but i just denied it. I only started smoking because, as gay as it sounds, my biggest influences smoked - bob dylan, noel gallagher and ian curtis, i never do it socially because i feel that it's then that your giving in to what other people want you to do but yeah anyway, thanks for the advice

I had acne before I smoked, and I have acne after. I quit for two months, still had acne, so my skin is bad with or without the niccotine. I don't intend to smoke forever, I know I can quit already. (I quit cold turkey and did it just so I knew I could). But to be quite honest I like smoking. I like it with a martini, with my gambling, and after a good dinner. I still would like to know if it affects the accutane though. ( i had to give up my martini's so it would only make sense to give up my smokes, if it could cause any problems)

smoking is so bad for your skin!

it enlarges your pores, reduces elasticity of skin, etc, blah, everyones heard it - and its true

i smoked for a year and my pores doubled in size and i got way more break outs

now that i stopped my break outs went back to their pre smoking rate

smoking is so bad for your skin!

it enlarges your pores, reduces elasticity of skin, etc, blah, everyones heard it - and its true

i smoked for a year and my pores doubled in size and i got way more break outs

now that i stopped my break outs went back to their pre smoking rate

Well I started smoking when I was 13 (im 21 now) and I never noticed a difference from when I quit to when I smoked. Except for pot heh. If your only smoking one to three a day I wouldn't consider that smoking (I would call that trying to fit in), I was smoking 20 - 25 a day. Not tryint be rude but I know your type :snooty: .. But on the other hand all those chemicals your putting into your blood cannot be good for your skin. But no I don't believe acne and smoking are related, except for increasing pore size and stressing yourself out thinking about it.