Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ClaireNYC

The First Day of My New Face!

Hello Everyone! Wow I have been looking for a forum like this for a loooong time. I'm 30 and look about 16...partially due to my youthful looks (ha ha) but mostly because of my acne!!! I just saw a crazily expensive but well regarded dermatologist yesterday and am now going on her regimen. Here it is.... below I will post my questions and hopes... :dance:

Morning:

Wash with Exfoliating Cleanser - or water if my skin is dry.

Apply Benzoyl Peroxide

Apply Sunblock and Moisturizer (if skin is dry)

Take Antibiotic - Minocycline

Evening:

Wash with Exfoliating Cleanser

Apply Differin 3 times a week

Apply spot treatment (this is her own formula she gave to me...not sure what's in it...I think BP)

1 to 2 times weekly apply AHA peel

2x weekly wash with Dermabrasian beads (another of her products)

I may go on a Retin-A in a few weeks when i have a check up in three weeks (oh great more $$$)

I am also thinking of going on the acne prescription diet as layed out by Dr. Perricone. I have tried this before and it is AMAZING. The only problem - it is very strict and almost impossible to explain to people "um I smell like fish cause I'm on a diet...for my face...?"

When I went to the Dr. yesterday she laid out all my options. One thing she talked about was Accutane. She basically said she thinks the side effects are outweighed by the benefit of never having another pimple again. I am thinking about this but I'm going to wait a bit I think. I have depression and I really don't want it get worse (what's the point of having clear skin if I don't want to leave my house??) I am also worried about how it will affect my skin as I age - I've heard it makes your skin too dry to really combat wrinkles...and like i said above...my youthful appearance is about the only thing good about my skin!!!! So I am going to try differin and antiB's.

The main thing that bothers me about my skin is my scarring. I have small scars all over (basically they look like BIG pores...UGH!) and I want them GONE. The Dr. suggested a CO2 Laser treatment that costs.....$6,900!!!!! I really want to do this...if it works. So my questions is..has anyone tried this? Does it work???

Finally all of this is extremely expensive...upwards of $700. I do not have health insurance...so do any of you have insurance that covers any of these products?? I am definitely thinking of getting it.

As you can see above I am in NYC...so i'd love any recommendations of aestheticians or dermatologists that are NICE. i hate it when people are rude about my skin. They are horrible people!!!!

Hello! Isn't the first step towards clear skin great? I was so excited to finally get to the derm and do something about my face. I am 34 and know what it's like to have breakouts, but what's funny is I use to tell people all the time that I didn't mind breakouts cause they keep me looking young! Ha, not true, just had to make jokes about it so it wouldn't bug me so much. I am also taking mino, but twice a day 100mg, using BP wash and retin-a at night.

I have health insurance that does pay for the majority of my treatment and doctor visits, I pay $10 for each med and $20 for the office visit, but if I didn't have insurance I would pay out of pocket because I just think it's worth it. Our insurance is through my husbands work so we still pay about $500 a month for insurance and then have co-pay so I'm not sure if it would be worth going out and purchasing private health insurance. You could look into it though.

I haven't had any other treatments for scaring because I have only very minimal marks and I think that they will fade in time so I don't think I need it. Sounds like co2 is really expensive.....jeez. Good luck to you and keep posting!

im no doctor, but from what ive read online, and what my doctor has told me, retin-a will reduce both the size and appearance of scars. ive been on retin-a for a while and i have noticed a small reduction in the scaring on my face.

but i will warn you... retin-a really drys out your skin. read on this forum about all the people that have had redness, dryness, and pealing. ive had it and you WILL get it, you have to decide if its worth it to go through all that pain to get rid of your scaring.

but, if you are willing, then stock up on anti-inflammatory meds like asprin, and lots and lots of lotion. i prefer eucerin but others work well, like coca butter with aloe vera.

good luck :)

When I went to the Dr. yesterday she laid out all my options. One thing she talked about was Accutane. She basically said she thinks the side effects are outweighed by the benefit of never having another pimple again. I am thinking about this but I'm going to wait a bit I think. I have depression and I really don't want it get worse (what's the point of having clear skin if I don't want to leave my house??) I am also worried about how it will affect my skin as I age - I've heard it makes your skin too dry to really combat wrinkles...and like i said above...my youthful appearance is about the only thing good about my skin!!!! So I am going to try differin and antiB's.

Thanks All!

Things are going well - I am feeling a little dry but not too bad. this is mostly from the benz. I started eating a lot of salmon which seems to help with the dryness. I have no visual pimples right now and redness seems to be diminishing.

i just did the laser treatment today. for three treatments its costing, 1, 020. but i will need about 5 or 6. so times that by 2! i had no side effects, but its kind of painful...ugh but worth it hopefully! let u know how it goes in the next couple of treatments. good luck with yours!

Good luck with your new regimen!

What's the dr. perricone acne diet thing you talked about in your first post? I haven't heard of that before...is it just like no dairy/ no sugar/ etc sort of thing?

I just started on differin and antibiotics too, and my insurance (blue cross) covers a lot of it. I get generic rx's for 10's and there's some sort of deductible thing for normal rx's. I don't know which differin you're on, but my derm put a sticker thing on the script for a free 45g tube of 0.3 stuff, so...yeah :)

good luck!

i'd imagine without insurance the prescription meds are going to cost you an insane amount.

i.e. when i used to use duac (a prescription benzyl peroxide) without insurance a tube would have cost me $200. with insurance i payed $15 a tube. these prescription topicals are insanely expensive wit no insurance.