Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vanillabean

What else besides Antibiotics?

Hi -I need help and advice. I believe my condition is serious, and my doctor has no more solutions. I have a reoccurring bacterial vaginosis infection for almost 3 years. I have had little to no reprieve during this time, and I'm at my wits end. This issue did not become apparent until about June 2005. I believe the root of the problem is my use of anti-biotics for my acne including minocycline, doxycycline, etc. for acne. Both my OB and Dermatologist did not believe me when I first suggested this because the onset of BV came around the time of me starting anti-biotics. But I believe it may be part of the problem.

My OB has put me on numerous treatments – from Metronidazole (Flagyl), Metrogel, clindamycin, to name a few. I have gone back and forth with these, and now I was using a new one called Tindamax. I haven’t had any success with this medication. Beginning in Oct. 2007, I went off anti-biotics for acne and my derm prescribed me a medication called SPIRONOLACTONE. This did not work for my face, and only caused me to spot for 3 months. I didn’t know if my BV went away, because most of time I was spotting. I have decided to go off it, and my derm put me on a new acne anti-biotic called Solodyn. Thankfully, this is helping my acne, but now my BV is back and it’s just as bad. I don’t know if the anti-biotics are causing my BV, but I want answers. My OB said that there’s nothing else to try – I’ve been through it all.

I know BV stems from not enough normal bacteria and the overgrowth of bad bacteria. Does any one else have this problem from taking anti-biocs? What are alternative solutions instead of anti-biotics? I was starting to think Solydn would work, but I can't handle the BV any more - it's more detrimental to my life and relationship. But acne causes me to have low self esteem. It's a lose lose. I'm not severe enough to go on Accutane, although I was on it back in 2004. GRRR!! I wish I had an answer and any advice from anyone would be appreciated. thanks!

Is your gyn certain what you have is BV? From what I've read and been told, BV is generally treated with antibiotics, actually. I have extensive background in vaginal woes, as I suffer from DIV, Desquamative Inflammatory Vaginitis, which is so often missed by most gyns that I was wrongly treated for yeast and other problems for years before I was correctly diagnosed. DIV is chronic, but managed with steroid cream and 100mg hydrocortisone. It is characterized by symptoms similar to BV and that's why it's wrongly diagnosed often. Vulvodynia is also often misdiagnosed as BV, as are many other conditions. My doctor is the author of The V Book, which has awesome info on all this. She's aware I'm taking a very high dose of Tetracycline now for Lyme Disease, and have use antibiotics many times in the past (very successfully) for acne. I take acidophillus daily and have never had a yeast infection.

That said, if you really want to avoid antibiotics (believe me, I'm not happy being on them long term either for a variety of reasons, but I have Lyme so I have no choice right now), have you tried the pill? My acne was BAD until Accutane, but now it's mild. I had good luck with orthotricyclen, and then even just a topical benzaclin for a while. Consistently taking fish oil and zinc also help. I didn't realize this till I stopped taking them for a few months and my skin got oily and broke out more.

I'm sure others will have good suggestions for you as well. I just wanted to chime in and suggest you take a look at The V Book or something similar and make sure you really have BV. My doc says generally if it's persistent that's when it could really be something else.

Hi,

I am 25 and have the same problem as you. i have been on antibiotics for years and usually have a mild infection, but it is not really bothersome. However, when I am intimate with my husband, a day later it gets worse. I have taken breaks from the antibiotics, but my skin gets so bad that I end up going back on. The infections are totally from taking antibiotics. The antibiotics kill off all bacteria in your body, good And bad. When I first went on antibiotics, I mentioned this to my derm and he said it is very common and reccomended taking acidopholus. Acidopholis is a probiotic. It helps rebuild all of the good bacteria that is killed off, which fights off yeast infections. It is worth a shot. You can get it at GNC or Vitamin Shop, or even at a CVS and its very inexpensive.

Honestly, I have come to accept it for what it is. Either have horrible skin and no other issues, or have OK skin and deal with it. If you have any other ?'s I am happy to help.

i am having the exact same problem, it's awful. i've been on minocycline for two years and about five months ago i started to have yeast infections. I don't know what happened, but last month the yeast infection turned into a bladder infection that spread upward, then, on top of that, i contracted bacterial vaginosis. it's been kind of miserable. after three antibiotic treatments, and cutting back to minocycline once ever other day, i was clear for about a week before i contracted bv all over again.

i also took accutane a few years back. i had cystic acne on my back that left terrible scars. i'm a teenager, and although accutane did help my skin, it made me very depressed. i'm worried about going through the depression all over again. we have the same dilemma: good skin and gross vaginal infections, or bad skin and nothing to deal with down there. both scenerios cause major self esteem issues. i had my doctor switch me over to erythromycin, today is day one. has anyone else tried this antibiotic?

erythromycin was the first antibiotic I ever took for acne. I think there is a topical form too that I used at one point (if memory serves). All of the antibiotics worked equally well for me, meaning I never ended up extremely clear, but I did clear up a lot on them, and when I went off them I broke out again. Since my acne is mostly hormonal, I think antibiotics have a limited success rate for me. But I'm not sure how they work for people who don't get a lot of hormonal acne.

I took erythromycin for a brief period about 3 months before I start breaking out again. Its not as potent as the other antibiotics, that's why it lasted me for only a short period. Besides erythromycin, I took doxy and mino as well with no problems. In fact I have taken antibiotics for 5 years with no infections. Mino did not work out because of the terrible migraines, doxy was the only one that truely worked.

I also tried BCP dianette but it didn't work out as well and I had a horrible breakout at month 3 which shifted my acne from mild to moderate. The last resort was accutane. It was the one that worked after so many stuff. I do suggest you try it after so many failed attempts in other treatments.

You make some very good points. I'm glad you mentioned that it could be another problem besides BV. She has tested me several times and it always comes out as BV, but again, maybe it is another condition she is missing. I appreciate your advice and suggestions - that's why these message boards are so helpful. I have gone off my Solydn for now and am taking acidophillus. I'm using only Benacylin and Tazorac. Haven't noticed the BV yet since my period ended Sunday. At least I've had 3 good days so far with the issues relating to BV. If the acidophillus is helping, I may try to go back on Solydn. But nonetheless, I will definitely suggest to my OB about some of these other issues she may have misdiagnosed. It's worth mentioning at least. thanks again.

Is your gyn certain what you have is BV? From what I've read and been told, BV is generally treated with antibiotics, actually. I have extensive background in vaginal woes, as I suffer from DIV, Desquamative Inflammatory Vaginitis, which is so often missed by most gyns that I was wrongly treated for yeast and other problems for years before I was correctly diagnosed. DIV is chronic, but managed with steroid cream and 100mg hydrocortisone. It is characterized by symptoms similar to BV and that's why it's wrongly diagnosed often. Vulvodynia is also often misdiagnosed as BV, as are many other conditions. My doctor is the author of The V Book, which has awesome info on all this. She's aware I'm taking a very high dose of Tetracycline now for Lyme Disease, and have use antibiotics many times in the past (very successfully) for acne. I take acidophillus daily and have never had a yeast infection.

Thank you to all who responded to my problem. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one suffering with these issues - acne and BV possibly caused by antibiotics. Any who, you mentioned accutane. I was on it back in 2004, ending Feb. 04. My acne was clear for about 1 year, and then it erupted and I've been dealing with it ever since. I have considered going back on accutane. My doctor says right now my acne is not bad enough but since nothing else worked, it may be an option.

Here's a few questions - did it cause you any vaginal issues taking accutane? I don't remember, as when I was taking it, I didn't have much sex. Also, do any of your SO's say they're concerned about your what may happen if you have a baby a year or two after you were on it?

My fiance's biggest concern is that even after taking accutane, we don't know what will happen to a baby. What if researchers don't know the full effects on babies that were born from mothers who were on Accutane at one point in their life (not while getting pregnant during Accutane Rx). My derm told me it only affects the fertilized egg if you're on it, but my fiance's biggest concern, is what about after you go off and get pregnant 1 year later? He's been a deterring factor in why I haven't started back on it, even though I have faith it could work and help me not have BV issues.

I took erythromycin for a brief period about 3 months before I start breaking out again. Its not as potent as the other antibiotics, that's why it lasted me for only a short period. Besides erythromycin, I took doxy and mino as well with no problems. In fact I have taken antibiotics for 5 years with no infections. Mino did not work out because of the terrible migraines, doxy was the only one that truely worked.

I also tried BCP dianette but it didn't work out as well and I had a horrible breakout at month 3 which shifted my acne from mild to moderate. The last resort was accutane. It was the one that worked after so many stuff. I do suggest you try it after so many failed attempts in other treatments.

I haven't heard of any vaginal issues with accutane during the time I was a member of acne.org until just recently when a girl says her vaginal is drying up and is sore but that was because she was taking 160mg of accutane per day causing excessive dryness. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/What-the-...is-t187755.html. I didn't have any issues either. If you are afraid, maybe go on low dose accutane which will reduce the amount of side effects.

As for what will happen to the baby, it will only affect the fetues if you take it while you are still pregnant. Accutane clears out of your system within one month so it should be pretty safe to get pregnant 6 months post tane.