Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RatherBeSkating

Fluconazole and folliculitis?

Hi, just wondering if 150mg of fluconazole would help pityrosporum folliculitis?

The tablets I am talking about is designed as a one time dose for thrush, but since fluconazole is effetive againts pityrosporum, would 150mg be enough?

You can buy this over the counter aswell, which is why I am so interested.

Hi, just wondering if 150mg of fluconazole would help pityrosporum folliculitis?

The tablets I am talking about is designed as a one time dose for thrush, but since fluconazole is effetive againts pityrosporum, would 150mg be enough?

You can buy this over the counter aswell, which is why I am so interested.

I was prescribed this for my folliculitis. I had one time tablets that I was told to take once a week for 6 wks (don't recall the dosage though). Like most oral antifungals, it quit working after a month or two. Also, it carries some of the same kinds risks to your liver as other oral antifungals (risks are lower, but are still there), so i wouldn't take it on your own. I've also never seen it OTC before - are you sure its from a legit source?

Hey Willow, its available as a one time treatment for thrush OTC at my local chemist, although they would probably object to me buying one every week.

So basically this stuff doesn't really work?

I would try it but gonna give the mandelic acid a bit of time to work first.

Hey Willow, its available as a one time treatment for thrush OTC at my local chemist, although they would probably object to me buying one every week.

So basically this stuff doesn't really work?

I would try it but gonna give the mandelic acid a bit of time to work first.

My derm gave me the same one time tablets (this is also often prescribed as a one dose treament for yeast infections in women), but said I could take one a week for 6 wks. That might not be an option for you though. It did work for a short time period. I think that these treatments only work for awhile because you are trying to kill a fungus that naturally occurs on the body. As soon as you kill off what's there, you start to clear, but then the fungus just comes right back again.

Definitely give the mandelic some time to see if it works. It keeps me clearer than anything I have tried so far.