Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LM_06

discoloration remains - pink on ultra fair skin (not talking about red marks)

Did any of you experience anything like this?

I've been mostly clear for a few years. Most (indented) scars are at least several years old. I've been noticing that slowly each year I have less and less depth to my scars. Just today, I realized that some places that I had thought were indented scars have almost flattened out now. But, on one cheek, in their wake remains a light pinkish color. These aren't "red marks". They're far too old to be red marks (years!)

I exfoliate daily with a 10% AHA (it keeps me clear and I believe it has had a hand in the slow rebuilding of my skin). But I don't think it is touching this color.

Has anyone else been left with color like this?

Will anything help it?

It's hard to cover well with makeup unless I really go over that area somewhat heavily.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Yes,

I too noticed that several year old scars have flattned and are skin colour,

I have fair skin too and one on my cheek is still kind of pinky coloured.

Probably it was deeper than the others, but some days it looks better .

I have fair skin but my scars also eventually turn into a browny colour after a long time of being red.

So I'm not the only one. Wow.

This sounds ridiculous, but the color made them appear to have depth - when really, they're very shallow and soft. After I wash my face, they're much brighter, which is highly unappealing.

Do you notice that they're hard to hide? I find if I don't cover them well with makeup the discoloration makes me look far more textured than I truly am.

I was just reading the thread "scars deepening" and noticed the retinoid product Wynne mentioned called Green Cream in level 3 for sensitive skin. Would that help me?

I just re-analyzed my face - I know this sounds dumb - but I've realized the reason I really wear as much makeup as I do is to cover the left over colors more so than the faint scars. Would Green Cream take away both the old pinkness and smooth out the shallow scarring? I'd really consider it if it is appropriate for my problem.

As a test, I painted in makeup into each and ever pink spot on my face to see if I looked different. And yes, I definitely don't look like I have as much depth to my scars when the color is neutralized. Daily painting with a tiny concealer brush is unrealistic, but it sure did open my eyes to my most pressing problem with my skin. Seems silly that I've only recognized this aspect rather than focussing for so long on texture rather than discoloration. It seems like every pimple I have ever had in my life has left behind a permanent pink calling card on my uber-fair skin! Ugh!

After I was reading more about Green Cream, I wondered if Alpha Hydrox (the company that makes my holy grail AHA) makes a retinol/retinoid product. They do make one called Retinol ResQ. I already know and trust their brand name - so I'd feel less frightened trying their Retinol vs Green Cream (I don't know their company). Do you think the two products might be comparable? Or do you think Retinol ResQ might help me finish off the resurfacing of my scars - and clear off those ancient pink marks?

Here's a link to Retinol ResQ

PS: If my question isn't appropriate here - where could I find answers?

LM

I Bought a cheap 30% glycolic peel from ebay for about £5 ,

I am only going to use it on scars once every week as it will be best with a gradual approach to get a decent skine tone,

It did bring the pinkness out of a scar I had for a while within a couple of days after first treatment ,

I dont know if you have used it before but it doesn't burn the skin or leave marks the next day if you leave it on only for like 2 mins the first time.

Glycolic acid is an alpha hydroxy too , cheaper and stonger than tubed up version.

That's something I hadn't considered, Rian. Thanks so much for that idea. Would you let me know how it all turns out for you? I'd be really interested to know.

I think what I'm going to do is first add that Alpha Hydrox Retinol ResQ every third night - then every other night. I'll keep using my much loved AHA/10% Glycolic too. I read last night on Makeup Alley that one reviewer combined the two and was blown away by how nice her skin turned out from acne. I don't know what she had for scars - but I don't have a lot to lose - except time. The price is pretty cheap at $13 a tube.

If that doesn't work - I'm going to find one of those 30% Glycolics you suggested. That doesn't sound bad at all.

Well - at least I have some options. I'll let you all know how it works out. If it weren't for bouncing ideas around in here, I'd never know what to try next, and I'd never have had any of the success I've already had.

Thanks so much.

Sure i'll keep you updated ,

Im excited by it as i felt my skin really soft and smooth for the first time in years.

My parents said to me too that it looks better already, but i think they just say it to keep my hopes up. hehe

Once I've do the next treatment ill keep it on a minute longer and keep doing this gradually in time.

I hope you find success with what your doing!!

bye

Rian

Yippee! RE: Retinol ResQ:

I just called Neoteric who makes Alpha Hydrox brand and asked if they had a sample of their Retinol ResQ. She said they didn't, but she's sending me a full sized Retinol ResQ to test out and see if I like it! I guess it pays to have been a long term customer?? How very cool. They've always been such an incredibly nice company to deal with. I've emailed with their people several times and I'm always totally impressed with how personally they take customer relations. Yippee! I'll let you all know how it works out. Fingers crossed I can use it and I'm not sensitive to it or something.

---------

Thanks Rian - I'll keep fingers crossed for you, too.