Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bumpypregnancy

what is the best product treatments for mild acne

After trying so many things and studying every kind of treatment...Im wondering what is the best treatment people have found results with? I thought Proactive was good from hearsay but now i hear otherwise. Is a benzoyl peroxide cleanser not good to use? what cleanser, medication, and moisturizer do u recommend? and what about toner? i have clogged pores..and thats my main issue..under my chin..cheeks..and forehead..u know those barely noticable bumps...but the ones u fear will leave scars.

After trying so many things and studying every kind of treatment...Im wondering what is the best treatment people have found results with? I thought Proactive was good from hearsay but now i hear otherwise. Is a benzoyl peroxide cleanser not good to use? what cleanser, medication, and moisturizer do u recommend? and what about toner? i have clogged pores..and thats my main issue..under my chin..cheeks..and forehead..u know those barely noticable bumps...but the ones u fear will leave scars.

Well I don't know what you are currently using...

But I would suggest something gentle and possibly made for sensitive skin. Gentle is always best in my opinion.

I use Purpose Face Wash and it is possibly the best cleanser I've ever used. It is soap-free and hypoallergenic. I also use a light moisturizer, Complex 15.

I have just started the moisturizer but I have used Purpose in the past and I think I like it the most of all the ones I've tried. It is also recommended by many dermatologists.

I WOULD NOT medicate my skin if I were you...

Medications tend to intesify the issue, especially a mild issue like yours. Your skin should work itself out on its own. And a few pimples here or there aren't going to be that bad in the long run.

I WOULD NOT suggest any toners as they tend to strip your skin of moisture (even the ones w/o alcohol) and most face cleansers these days tend to eliminate the necessity of a toner.

So, again I would say get a simple cleanser like Purpose (Johnson & Johnson) and a light moisturizer.

Hope that's helpful. :)

I just have to chime in here.. Individuals 20 years and older are encouraged to use some sort of exfoliation on their skin. Basically as you get older, the skin's natural skin exfoliation becomes more sluggish. If you noticed clogged pores on your face, then something tells me you might not be exfoliating. I've posted this 2-3 times before, i'll post it here again. The following is a quote from Dr. Denese:

Now i'm going to tell you about the most important part of your skin care routine. The part that makes the greatest difference in the look of your skin. Yet, this is the part that most of you don't do properly. Why not? Because it's somewhat counter-intuitive as per traditional skin-care ideas. So what is this step? Exfoliation.

Now, exfoliation is a serious business. It is perhaps the most critical step in bringing back long lost radiance into your skin. However, the vast majority of the adult population under-exfoliates. Why? Because one of the most skin-care fallacies says, exfoliation or over-exfoliation, may thin the skin in the long run. Now, if you agree, I understand because it's intuitive to think so. However, this statement is completely unfounded scientifically. The skin is a dynamic organ- the more you wear it down the more it grows. Don't be afraid of exfoliation! Most people vastly under-exfoliate. Don't be afraid - as long as you follow directions on the label and apply some common sense.

So, how do you know if you exfoliate enough? Look in the mirror: if you see clogged pores around the nose and forehead, and bumpiness under the skin; if the face is lacking radiance, looks dull and sallow - you are not exfoliating enough. Most of these problems can be successfully addressed by proper exfoliation. Although we always have to bear in mind that individual results do vary.

Exfoliation

-Stimulates cellular turnover

-Stimulates the cell's own collagen-making machinery

-Removes the top layer of dry, old skin cells

-Allows serums and cream to permeate better

-Helps resolve skin dryness

-Serves as final cleansing step

-Restores skin's radiance

Well I don't know what you are currently using...

But I would suggest something gentle and possibly made for sensitive skin. Gentle is always best in my opinion.

I use Purpose Face Wash and it is possibly the best cleanser I've ever used. It is soap-free and hypoallergenic. I also use a light moisturizer, Complex 15.

I have just started the moisturizer but I have used Purpose in the past and I think I like it the most of all the ones I've tried. It is also recommended by many dermatologists.

I WOULD NOT medicate my skin if I were you...

Medications tend to intesify the issue, especially a mild issue like yours. Your skin should work itself out on its own. And a few pimples here or there aren't going to be that bad in the long run.

I WOULD NOT suggest any toners as they tend to strip your skin of moisture (even the ones w/o alcohol) and most face cleansers these days tend to eliminate the necessity of a toner.

So, again I would say get a simple cleanser like Purpose (Johnson & Johnson) and a light moisturizer.

Hope that's helpful. :)

I have oily skin and mild acne. Here's what I have recently started started using with much success:

St. Ives Apricot Cleanser - Blemish Fighting formula - 0.5% salyactic acid

I splash my face with cool or cold water afterwards - it really helps

Paula's Choice 2% BHA gel -- usually at night

St. Ives Apricot Scrub (as needed)

Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Daily Mattifying Lotion SPF 15

I use everday minerals foundation - and bare escentuals bisque concealer and rare minerals blemish control powder.

My skin has cleared up wonderfully.

Best of luck!!

I'm using the St. Ives Apricot Face Wash (Blemish control formula with 2% Salicylic acid) too but for my body acne and its working great at keeping breakouts at bay and clearing my skin at the same time...

The Apircot scrub should be used 1-2 times a week and works great in exfoliation

Products should cost less than $10 for both and whats good is they work!

I agree gentle is the best way to go. I also like Purpose. I like their Lotion which I often use for daytime because it's one of the few that has a sunscreen in it that doesn't break me out or irritate my sensitive skin. By your name, I assume you are pregnant? yes? It's possible that your acne is hormonal related. So using chemicals may not work but I think using a gentle face soap lik purpose, a light moisturizer and maybe adding a AHA exfoliating Treatment a few times a week to unclog your pores. Paula's Choice makes an 8% AHA Lotion that may be beneficial. Also Sephora sells DDF products and their Glycolic Toner is really good and get's good reviews on Makeupalley.com. You acne is mild, so treated it like moderate to severe acne may make it worse. Also as we age and during fluctuations of hormone imbalances (Like Pregnancy), We tend to slough off more dead skin cell which clog our pores and collect bacteria. Manual exfoliation may be too harsh but chemical exfoliation by using a Glycolic or other Alpha Hydrocy Product will help get rid of dead skin cells and help skin cell turnover. Also be careful of oils in your makeup. Powders can also clog pores, at least for me. Look for non-comedogenic makeup and skincare. Non-acneic products are also good.