Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phaese

Diet & Acne Flowchart

I've been accumulating information on acne causes-and-effects, and its gotten to the point where it justifies a flowchart. Initially I posted this in the Fructose, Inflammation, And Taurine! thread, but its better for updating and discussion purposes if its a separate thread. So, without further ado:

post-69137-1202859159_thumb.png

If anyone has any additions, suggestions, complaints, etc., I'd love to hear them. There are some things I still need to add; one that jumps into my head right now is dehydration as another cause. Also, if it seems confusing, a little how-to: the arrows represent cause and effect, so for example 'stress' causes 'more testosterone'; the exception to this are the green boxes and arrows, which represent solutions or cures, not causes.

post-69137-1202859159_thumb.png

Very nice, very complete. I had been working on something similar myself actually. Some things you left out:

Hyperkeratinization (caused by vitamin A deficiency, influenced by genetics, androgens may play a role, still researching possible other causes) this is what causes the skin cells to become cohesive and stick together, a major component in the development of acne

It should be noted that a high GL diet is any diet that is low in fat! A low fat diet is a high carb diet by definition. If you eat low carb you must eat high fat! Protein is not a good source of fuel for the body, and when metabolized it turns to glucose so it can still cause insulin surges. High fat, people!

You could also add an arrow pointing from IGF-1 to more testosterone ( might want to change that to more androgens ) because IGF-1 stimulated the ovaries to produce more androgens. Not sure if it has the same effect on men.

You could also add that vitamin D deficiency is a causative factor in developing insulin resistance/hyperinsulinemia. (may explain why those who supp fish oil have success, good source of vitamins A & D)

Other than that, looks awesome. Good work!

Very nice, very complete. I had been working on something similar myself actually. Some things you left out:

Hyperkeratinization (caused by vitamin A deficiency, influenced by genetics, androgens may play a role, still researching possible other causes) this is what causes the skin cells to become cohesive and stick together, a major component in the development of acne

It should be noted that a high GL diet is any diet that is low in fat! A low fat diet is a high carb diet by definition. If you eat low carb you must eat high fat! Protein is not a good source of fuel for the body, and when metabolized it turns to glucose so it can still cause insulin surges. High fat, people!

You could also add an arrow pointing from IGF-1 to more testosterone ( might want to change that to more androgens ) because IGF-1 stimulated the ovaries to produce more androgens. Not sure if it has the same effect on men.

You could also add that vitamin D deficiency is a causative factor in developing insulin resistance/hyperinsulinemia. (may explain why those who supp fish oil have success, good source of vitamins A & D)

How is protein bad?

And like I said, when protein metabolizes it turns to GLUCOSE which causes INSULIN to be released further promoting INSULIN RESISTANCE which can cause over production of androgens, and acne.

And like I said, when protein metabolizes it turns to GLUCOSE which causes INSULIN to be released further promoting INSULIN RESISTANCE which can cause over production of androgens, and acne.

I had clear skin last week and i broke out RLLY RLLY bad after eating cold sliced chicken which had a total of 40g of Protein. :( ... or it could of been the saltine crackers i ate

Im taking Taurine and Fiber Husk and it did nothing to supress this break out.. This is the worst break out i have ever expereinced in the 19 years ive been living.

is chicken in the US hormone free?