Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
giuseppe.dm

taking accutane for a short time only?

A dermatologist prescribed me Accutane (called Roaccutan here, for some reason) for mild acne a decade ago (I was 17 then), but I stopped taking it after a few weeks, after hearing of all the possible side effects. It did work for those weeks I had taken it, though: the acne had disappeared and didn't came back for years (except for the odd pimple here and there), although unfortunately my skin became very oily again.

Almost ten years later, I'm having mild acne again, and the various treatments I've had in the past six months (after consulting two different dermatologists) haven't solved the problem in the slightest. Because of that past experience, I convinced my general practitioner to prescribe me Accutane, which he (reluctantly) did. I've been taking 50mg/day (I weigh 78kg) for the past two weeks, and after an initial worsening, the acne has almost disappeared.

Now, however, I wonder about how long I should continue taking Accutane. A typical 4 months treatment really seems too much, especially since I worry about the possible serious side effects, which don't seem to be worth it for the mild acne I started with.

What would you recommend? Has anyone been having similar experiences to mine?

Thanks.

heyo man, I took accutane for 12 days and my acne and oil kinda of cleared up. I had to stop taking it cuz my liver enzymes fucked up. I only had mild acne. Right now, i have a couple of zits still left but my face has no oil. It is awesome except I had a red forehead. I am waiting for these zits to clear up but hopefully my oil won't come back and I will have great skin.