Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bakedpotato

long term medication effects?

hokay

so my sister thought i was using too much BP and SA and told me that all these chemicals im applying to my face will end up fucking up my face and make me look like patrick swayze.

im skeptical, but it got me thinking, do these medications have any long-term effects on our skin? like, would my skin look any worse when im 50 for using all this stuff now.

hmm.

Opinions?

I don't know. But when I was on Dan's regime which worked wonderfully for a year and then stopped. I had side effects like the skin around my mouth looked darker. Nobody noticed it , but I always did since I look at myself 100 a day.:D Also, I got those weird lines around my eyes and my mouth like I am 28 or something. Once I stopped (since it stopped working,) all those lines and darkness disappered. I avoide those chemicals as much as I can.

BP can cause discoloration of the skin, (semi?) permanent redness, and can make red marks from old breakout worse/make breakouts more likely to leave marks, it also causes premature aging of the skin (which maybe you can reverse to some extent after you stop bp if you take good care of your skin)...Also long term bp use has been linked to cancer in some studies...

BP can cause discoloration of the skin, (semi?) permanent redness, and can make red marks from old breakout worse/make breakouts more likely to leave marks, it also causes premature aging of the skin (which maybe you can reverse to some extent after you stop bp if you take good care of your skin)...Also long term bp use has been linked to cancer in some studies...

Topical BP left on (Like DKR) did nothing but dry out my already semi-dry skin, made me scaly and made my red marks stick around for a long time. I know some people have success with it butI personally think that using a BP wash, leaving it on for 5 minutes will give you the same effect without overdying. I fnd that drying=more breakouts. It's probably just me. We all react differently to different products, it's why we are all here. What works for one person may not work for another. I don't leave bp on. Your skin has a saturation level and it doesn't take much to reach that point. 5 to 10 minutes maximum. This comes straight from my dermatologist who specializes in acne only. We tend to use too much for too long. BP is there to kill p-acnes/Bacteria. 90% of that bacteria can be killed with minimal application. Hence why I use wash instead of creams. I think BP makes me look old and dried out and rather dull. It doesn't really work any better than SA's on me. I prefer Fruit Acids and Glycolics. But that's just me.

I'll back up what willow569 said. Years of research show these products to be safe when used as directed. Hydrogen peroxide causes free-radical damage, but benzoyl peroxide does not. Salicylic acid, being an exfoliant, can potentially increase susceptibility to UV rays, but a good daily sunscreen will easily cancel this effect out. If you're allergic or very sensitive to one of these products, then obviously don't use it. And, if you're pregnant, talk to your doctor first. Either one can cause mild, short-term irritation in anyone, but for most people, the benefits far outweigh the risks. (By the way, even "natural" and "alternative" acne products carry the exact same risks of irritation, and most of them don't have the research to back up their results.) And, salicylic acid actually retains some of the anti-inflammatory properties of aspirin. It's always a good idea to wear sunscreen daily, eat a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables, and apply a topical product (be it moisturizer, "toner," serum, etc.) that contains anti-oxidants, anti-irritants, and other ingredients proven to be good for your skin in the long term. These are the steps that will most prevent the signs of aging.

Ahh, forgot about this thread. Thanks for all the replies. That answered my question.

I'm using Dan's Cleanser and BP and Cetaphil Moisturizer, btw.

I dont use any SPF, how does that help anyway?