Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jujilover

cant stop looking in the mirror

Hey guys...

i am obsessed with looking in the mirror...and not because im vain..but because i want to see if any new zits have cropped up or if my skin is looking oily or yucky..

does anyone else do this to themselves? i feel as though i am torturing myself..any suggestions?? thanx

Same here.

Actually I used to be so paranoid, I would run to the bathroom before every class just to see how my face looked. Im not obessed with looking at myself, lol thats the last thing I wanna see, but just like you said, I always was checking the "status" of my face.

I did this so often a teacher started to notice and said I was doing drugs in the bathroom everyday before class. LOLLLLLL! WTF. Yabbe dayo.

Haha, I spend so much time in the bathroom looking at myself my friends and family think I'm narcistic and self-obsessed...which is ironic, as that's not the case at all. :D When I come out they're like "staring in the mirror beautifying yourself again?", and I'm like "No, I'm just hoping that if I look in the mirror long enough, these ginormous zits will disappear." Then they just look at me funny and walk away.

I try not to spend too much time looking in the mirror but nine times out of ten, yeah I end up doing it.

Most times in hopes my skin will look better, so disappointing when it doesn't. :wall:

I just have to see if anything has gotten worse or not, I just can't help myself.

My sister says I have "post-traumatic stress" 'cause of how my skin used to be,

and I continuously look in the mirror fearing I'll see something aweful. I'm not

stressed, I'm just terribly, terribly alert :D

advice would be get rid of any mirrors you have - at least the ones in your bedroom and once you know your not going out in the evening just try and forget about your face for a while at least.

Its desperatly hard but important!

^^^incredibly hard but i will try...i cant go cold turkey! well not yet anyway..

effendi--on some level i feel that i may have the post traumatic thingy too...or at least some kind of depression from it or something..

and i agree with all u guys that def I HATE looking in the mirror but i feel that i have to take a look just in case i need to conceal or powder over anything...so frustrating!

im glad im not alone though!

i havent been as bad recently as i do try to control myself.but yeah i always used to be looking in mirrors and staring at my skin in them for ages.seeing if i had any new spots crop up or anything.but i think it just makes the situation worse,as your liek getting stressed out about how your skin looks.i would virtually look round all of my face for like 10mins sometimes.now i have cut down quite a bit,and i feel a lot better about doing so...

The mirror is yucky! D:

Yea usually with me I'll be having a grand ol' day, or maybe not so grand...and then if I perchance look in the mirror I go.....oh that's right I have acne. :[ And then the day just goes to poop.

But the mirror is necessary to see wat I'm doing when I'm regimening cuz otherwise I'd get the BP in my eyes or hair or somthing.x D

So the mirror is a necessary thing, so it's not a bad thing to look inside it unless your compulsively looking ina hand mirror every 2 seconds. OwO

Yeah, I go through phases where I do this as well. Sometimes I am having a good day and then the more I look in the mirror, the worse I start to feel. I don't think complete avoidance is realistic, but I think there are things you can do to actively cut down on the frequency with which you do this.

Just set some realistic limits on yourself - like you can check when you first get to school/work in the morning, then at lunch, and then right before you go home. If you are checking a lot (like more than twice an hour, try cutting it back to only once an hour or every two hours. Its easier than just trying to go cold turkey! :)

ugh i cant pass a mirror without having a quick glance in one. problem is the quick glance usually turns into a full on face inspection and then i get miserable lol

i was even checking my reflection on the reflective lid on a bottle of perfume i was selling at work today. all my mates think im amazingly vain, its far from that. im addicted to seeing how i look in different places and how bad my scars look

I was reading about Acne Dysmorphia and mirror-checking may be a symptom of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I can't go anywhere without having a mirror with me (like a small one) and I check my face about 100 times a day. I can't help myself and If i don't have a mirror with me in my bag or something I feel like something weird is happening on my face and I can't see what it is. It just worsens my anxiety about my skin everytime I look in the mirror. Something in my chest tightens up and i feel crappy when i notice new pimples forming or whne i can feel one coming up cuz a spot on my skin begins to itch and throb

ugh i cant pass a mirror without having a quick glance in one. problem is the quick glance usually turns into a full on face inspection and then i get miserable lol

i was even checking my reflection on the reflective lid on a bottle of perfume i was selling at work today. all my mates think im amazingly vain, its far from that. im addicted to seeing how i look in different places and how bad my scars look

Im forever checking to see i dont have any itchy yellowheads forming,

Nothing more embarassing than chatting away to someone then realize you have them in crevices of nose etc.

Nothing more embarassing than chatting away to someone then realize you have them in crevices of nose etc.

Yup I do it all the time. When I go to my bf's house, I run to his room first thing and use the mirror on his wall. One time when we were about to take a nap, I went to look at myself first in the mirror cuz I felt something swelling up on my forehead and there i saw a tiny pimple about to come out. He asked why I always check my reflection and I told him that I just wanna see if I have new pimples coming out but he didn't believe me. He thinks I just like to check myself out.

Oh God i look at the mirror also 100 times a day As YorkMonique said, something is happening to my face and i want to see what it is.

Well, i still think that it is not the face, but the mind who wants...confidence and self estime.

And looking at mirror only helps for me 1 in 10. I hope this statistic wont be like this forever...

even tho my skin is better

this year at school im like always looking in the mirror at my skin. i think people might think im vain.

im glad more people than a few do it in a unvain way lol

wow! so you get whiteheads in the crevices of ur nose too?? i thought i was the only one that happened to ...not to mention the fact that they are super itchy and super stubborn...gosh what wil i ever do with those things!!!

My bf pointed out the same thing...that I'm more addicted to my mirror now that I'm clear.

I notice it too...its like you become obsessed and paranoid about any frikken blemish that turns up on your skin. I hate it.

My bf pointed out the same thing...that I'm more addicted to my mirror now that I'm clear.

I notice it too...its like you become obsessed and paranoid about any frikken blemish that turns up on your skin. I hate it.