Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
janis808

My Accutane Log 22/f 40mg

I'm 22/F and have been struggling with acne since I was 12. Since I've had acne for 10 years, you can imagine how many products I have tried from Proactiv, tetracyclin, glycolic acid, obagi, etc...so I finally got accutane!!! It was horrible to know that I was qualified for it because I always thought it wasn't as bad, but the doctor said it was borderline severe. ugh. Most of face is covered in redmarks which take yeaarrrrssss to heal.

So here's what I'm using:

Purpose Gentle Cleanser (liquid and soap bar)

Clean and Clear Advantage 2% salicylic acid on the spot treatment

Makeup: Covergirl Aquasmooth foundation

And if my face gets dry, I bought Aquafor for my lips and Aveeno UltraCalming moisturizer

I purchased Everyday Mineral makeup but won't be using it until my red marks fade a bit more because mineral makeup doesn't give much coverage.

I just popped the first yellow pill (sotret) 40mg today. I weigh 105lbs and I'm sick of people staring at my face. :P

I'm just so excited that I got to start this and look forward to the next day to take another pill.

My bf finished his accutane course a little less than a year ago and he still gets the occasional zit but it's nothing like he had before. They're just small zits that come and go. I know it's not a cure, but I have a feeling once my face gets clear, I'll be complaining about the smallest zit. I'd feel so lucky just to get angry over one zit, I'm still waiting for that day to come. I'll be back in the next few days to post on my symptoms. :)

DAY 3

No noticeable symptoms not even dry lips or skin. My eyes just get red since I think it might be drying them out. I have contacts and can't go without them so I just use Clear Eyes to make them less red. I'm just looking forward to taking my next pill tomorrow! :D

//EDIT

Okay so i put on my makeup just now and my skin is getting a little dry and can see the flakiness especially on my forehead. ugh. i thought there was snow in my hair but it was just flakes that got caught in it when putting on my makeup. lol gross. but my lips are not dry yet!

DAY 6

My lips are just a little chapped, but they're always chapped so it's nothing new for me. My skin has been a little bit more dry and when I put on my makeup it burns for a few seconds. I haven't used moisturizer yet. I ALWAYS breakout when I use any kind of moisturizer so I'm just only going to use it when it gets horribly dry.

My skin usually looks best in the morning and worse at night. I have no new breakouts which is great! I hope I don't get an initial breakout but it's still only day 6. My skin doesn't look as bad as it usually does so I'm surprised how great I feel today because of it. Don't get me wrong, I still have tons of redmarks. ugh.

Sometimes I get headaches and I don't drink that much water because I have an overactive bladder and I'm constantly peeing every 5 min if I drink anything. I was thinking about taking pills to help me not pee as much lol but taking all more prescription pills might make my symptoms worse so I might just wait until after I finish the course.

//EDIT

I got two nose bleeds later on in the day. A lot of blood! ugh I was told that I wouldn't be getting nosebleeds until later on in the course.

Congrats on starting tane. I think the nose bleeds were just a coincident. Believe me, you'll know when you dry up. I know everyone reacts differently to the drug but feel free to read my log to get an idea of what to expect. Good luck. Jules

DAY 9

Thanks for reading my post Jules! I went to your log so I know what to expect :)

I don't think I have the IB yet, just still the same kind of breakouts I usually get.

I look like a mess. My skin is flaky even though I used a moisturizer and I have a big red pimple on my chin that's been there for days. I have redmarks everywhere and I won't go anywhere without makeup, which doesn't cover the redmarks that well. My eyes get so red, people ask me if I'm stoned. I use Clear Eyes but then it just gets red all over again. My face is still oily as ever and my face is just disgusting after I shower. lol. Ugh. The worst thing is, I hate looking at car mirrors. Does anybody ever think the same? For some reason, looking at myself in a car mirror makes me feel soooooo gross! It highlights everything, and it's probably how I really look like outside which makes it even worse. haha. not funny but oh well, I can't wait til this is all over. The thing is, I have to wait for my insurance company to review the prescription so I may have to wait to get my next refill. :( I have sensitive skin, so the red looks even that much more red on my skin. And I have to work outside where I have to greet hundreds of people and I always think they're looking at my skin. GRRRR. I always thought it wouldn't be such a bad thing to get a pimple here and there if I never got a redmark from it. Everybody else I know will get a zit and then after the zit is gone, so is the mark. Mine, however, will last years. no joke. it's so frustrating. Okay, im just having not a good skin day which makes it a bad day. lol off to work! I'd post pics, but my camera broke. not from taking a pic of my face, but somebody dropped it. lol

Day 14

I don't think I've had an IB yet but I still break out normally how I did before accutane. I get a zit here and there, my zits aren't limited to a particular area on my face. My zits don't discriminate, it's equal opportunity for every surface area on my face! lol

I'm using Aquafor so I don't worry about my lips too much and I just use Aveeno Ultra Calming Moisturizer for my dry skin and again, the only thing that I really don't like is the red eyes. I wear soft contact lenses and I dont wear glasses so I have to keep putting in Visine for Soft Contacts constantly but that doesn't help too much. Having red eyes makes me feel really gross and look unhealthy. When I wake up in the morning my eyes aren't red so I know it's my contacts that make it irritated. I'll just have to deal with that for another 4.5 months! ugh.

Other than that, nothing new. No headaches, joint aches, depression, etc...

One thing I don't recommend is Aqua Glycolic cleanser. Ever since I used that before accutane for about a few months, my face broke out all the time. I kept thinking it's supposed to get worse before it gets better, but it never got better. It got so much good reviews, but sometimes it's just not worth it and you're left with a bunch of redmarks. I have another unopened bottle left. It seemed that it worked for almost everyone else but not for me. If anyone's interested in purchasing it, let me know, I'd be happy to sell it for cheaper.

Sorry to hear you've been having a crappy few days. Hang in there. Hope the insurance issue works out for ya. Oh, and stop looking in car mirrors. ;)

DAY 16

I can't believe how much redmarks I have. It's pretty gross. My right side of my face doesn't have any pimples but TONS of redmarks. However, my left side of my face has active zits. I mostly get zits around my chin and cheeks. My eyes are as red as ever, those Visine for Soft Contacts don't help much. I still breakout along my shoulders and upper arms. Nothing too horrible though, no IB. My face isn't as oily, I wish it stayed like this after my course is done because oily slick is not attractive. I wonder if I should keep moisturizing when my oil comes back. Well, that's a long ways from now, it's only day 16! I went on Google and looked up a lot of reviews for Accutane and many people seem to get acne again after a year later. I read somewhere that 90% will usually clear for at least a year (thats it?) and some will return after the course is finished, and for some it doesn't work. Hmm, I guess I worry that it won't fully clear me. What worries me most is how even if my skin clears, Id have to wait a loooong time for my redmarks to heal, and then let's say my acne were to come back, then it's like I never had that period of time where my face was completely clear. grr. lol. My bf still complains he gets zits (he finished his cycle over a year ago). I can't afford to get pimples because of the redmarks, those are almost as bad as real zits! Anyway, I'm not having a bad day, just reporting on what I've seen so far, I can't wait til month three because thats when I heard things usually start improving dramatically. I wish somehow I could see what my skin will look like in the next 5 months so i have something to look forward to.

Day 17

No new pimples, just the same ones that have been around. But TONS of redmarks everywhere. My eyes are crazy red today. I put in Visine but they're still red. The red in my eyes just make my redmarks stand out even more. My hair feels thinner, but maybe it's just today. I don't mind so much the dry skin and lips, just the eyes!!! Ive been using Aveeno Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer SPF 15 and it doesn't break my out, I even like the scent although I prefer unscented because I have sensitive skin. Other than that, nothing new. The moisturizer is supposed to be for people with redness and sensitive skin but my skin is still pretty flushed. It's always looked flushed even before Accutane. I've NEVER gone anywhere without makeup, only once to the dermatologist so he could prescribe it to me.

Does anybody know if it's okay to take other prescription pills like Xanax or Oxy while on Accutane?

DAY 19

so i just found out that my insurance doesn't cover accutane. i got an override for the first month but they can only do that once. this is ridiculous and accutane is expensive! and i dont want to stop the course after just one month because then i would have just received the side effects for nothing! this is so depressing. it's $150 a month and i can see how "id pay anything to have clear skin" but whoa! i dont have that kind of money and it's so frustrating that i would start on it and then let my hopes up because my stupid cheap insurance company doesnt believe accutane is a benefit. they said i should try other things and i have! would you guys pay $150 a month? so imagine how many months..5-6 months, thats quite a lot....

so I got two new whiteheads today and a big red zit forming under my skin on my right cheek.

DAY 19

so i just found out that my insurance doesn't cover accutane. i got an override for the first month but they can only do that once. this is ridiculous and accutane is expensive! and i dont want to stop the course after just one month because then i would have just received the side effects for nothing! this is so depressing. it's $150 a month and i can see how "id pay anything to have clear skin" but whoa! i dont have that kind of money and it's so frustrating that i would start on it and then let my hopes up because my stupid cheap insurance company doesnt believe accutane is a benefit. they said i should try other things and i have! would you guys pay $150 a month? so imagine how many months..5-6 months, thats quite a lot....

DAY 22

I decided since my insurance won't cover Accutane, I'll have to pay $150 a month for it. I hope it's worth it!

I drank a little last night.

I have no new active pimples. Just redmarks everywhere. My face is smooth. I'm glad I haven't experienced an IB (yet?), I hope I'm not jinxing it.

Sometimes I wonder if it's the Accutane clearing me already or the Yasmin birth control because I only started the birth control two months before I went on Accutane and since they say it can take about 3 months for it to be effective, so it may be the birth control thats kind of clearing me?

Anyway, nothing else to report on. Just dry skin and lips and red eyes. Times seems to be flying by, but not fast enough! I'm in my last semester in college and I have no motivation to finish my senior thesis paper (100 pages). grr. k i will update again soon!

DAY 23

I had the worst vision today. I could hardly makeout people faces when walking around campus. I know it's because of accutane because my vision couldnt have gotten that bad overnight. I even took out my right contact because my eyes got bloodshot red, people asked me if I was okay in class. I put in so much Visine (for contacts) but nothing helped.

I'm just glad I haven't got an IB yet. The only thing I get bummed out about is my redmarks. I would post pics if I could but I don't have a camera right now. My acne looks similar to the Lara girl who posts in the logs.

I see many people who post pics of their acne before accutane in the logs and I just wish I was as lucky as them because many of them have hardly anything. I'm surprised they even get prescribed accutane with what little pimples they have. I just hope I won't have to go on a second course. This eye issue for me is just too much. My skin doesn't get that dry, only around my chin and my lips are fine since I have Aquafor, it's just the eyes! I don't wear glasses so I'm just stuck for another 4 months of bloodshot eyes. Anyone else have this problem with contacts?

Anyway, I enjoy reading everybody's logs, they give me so much hope. I'm just being a pussy with these redmarks, but hopefully they'll go soon too. I have to go to work now with my stoner eyes, will update later!

DAY 23

I had the worst vision today. I could hardly makeout people faces when walking around campus. I know it's because of accutane because my vision couldnt have gotten that bad overnight. I even took out my right contact because my eyes got bloodshot red, people asked me if I was okay in class. I put in so much Visine (for contacts) but nothing helped.

I'm just glad I haven't got an IB yet. The only thing I get bummed out about is my redmarks. I would post pics if I could but I don't have a camera right now. My acne looks similar to the Lara girl who posts in the logs.

I see many people who post pics of their acne before accutane in the logs and I just wish I was as lucky as them because many of them have hardly anything. I'm surprised they even get prescribed accutane with what little pimples they have. I just hope I won't have to go on a second course. This eye issue for me is just too much. My skin doesn't get that dry, only around my chin and my lips are fine since I have Aquafor, it's just the eyes! I don't wear glasses so I'm just stuck for another 4 months of bloodshot eyes. Anyone else have this problem with contacts?

Anyway, I enjoy reading everybody's logs, they give me so much hope. I'm just being a pussy with these redmarks, but hopefully they'll go soon too. I have to go to work now with my stoner eyes, will update later!

DAY 24

I had to go to the derm today to sort out some insurance stuff. I won't be able to get my next prescription on time so I might have to be out of Accutane for a whole week. ugh.

THEN, I had to go to the eye doctor because I thought I had pink eye for two days, but turns out since my eyes were so dry from the accutane that my right eye got extremely inflamed. He also said I had a lot of permanent scars on my eyes from wearing contacts all these years. He suggested I get glasses but I've never worn glasses, they just simply don't match my face and I don't like the idea of wearing them at all so I'm just going to have to hope I won't get another inflammation after I finish treating this one. So now I have to walk around with only one contact for a week until my right eye gets better. Has anyone else experienced this?

I was thinking about stopping accutane but I want to finish the course. It's just this eye thing that is making me paranoid. I haven't even finished a whole month yet! I have four more months to go.

Other than the freakiness with my eyes, my face has never been smoother and zit-free. HOWEVER, don't get me wrong, there's PLENTY of redmarks EVERYWHERE! They look just as bad as having active pimples. I wish there weren't all these problems (insurance, infected eyes).

DAY 26

So yesterday, since both my eyes got really irritated and inflamed, I bought glasses, they were $300!!! PLUS, since my insurance doesn't cover accutane, I have to pay $150 a month for them. My paychecks are only around $200 every two weeks lol. anyway, I look super geeky with glasses, which is why I never got them in the first place, but my eyes are too important to be left alone.

I still never got an IB but I have ONE zit. Thats it! And it's only day 26. My bf says he's seen an improvement because even though I still have redmarks everywhere, the surface is flat. (He's still never seen me with makeup off, yikes). So right now I'm sitting in my room with my new glasses on and I'm looking in the mirror and I can see every single redmark quite clearly. I hope they fade soon! I get redmarks that sometime takes years to heal.

I was just wondering, when people first start wearing glasses, do you get headaches and feel dizzy and feel like the prescription is almost too strong? I almost felt like throwing up today. And my eye lashes keep rubbing up against the lens. I'm just glad I'm for once not complaining about my skin. I hope it stays clear and won't have to go on a 2nd course after I'm done.

Anyway, i want to thank everyone who's replied to my log and helping me out, thank you guys!!! :)

//EDIT

nevermind, make that two zits. i have a big one brewing on my jawline. damn

ugh, i wear glasses when i'm around my apartment & i always feel a bit dizzy when i first put them on. it was much worse in the beginning but now that i'm sorta used to wearing them. i hate them so much.

DAY 27

I don't want to sound like some freak but I'm a girl, and I never had this before, but around two weeks ago I started getting like tiny facial hairs on my neck around my throat area. My bf pointed it out yesterday and I didn't really think it was that noticeable. I never had it before, so it's gotta be from the Accutane. Anybody else get this? how embarassing. i dont plan on shaving my neck like a guy.

For those of you that wear glasses (I'm nearsighted), do you feel like everything is smaller through the lenses? My feet look smaller and people look smaller and the ground feels like it's closer than it really is. So do my redmarks on my face, grrrr!

Okay, so nothing new to report on as far as side effects. I drank some alcohol last night. glasses took care of my infected eyes. I still have a couple zits and tons of redmarks that are sloooowly fading. oh and the hairs on my neck. really strange. i sleep longer too. My lips and skin aren't disgustingly dry. I just want to fast forward 5 months later to see what I'm going to look like. :)

DAY 30

I'm done with the first month! However, due to insurance problems, I'll be out of accutane for probably a week or so until the claim is settled. They won't cover accutane, so I filed a claim, so I hope I won't get denied. It kind of sucks to not be able to take the next pill on time. I just want to keep going so I'm closer to being done. I hope I don't get locked out of the ipledge program.

I've been getting a few pimples around my jawline. These redmarks are horrible. Thank god my bf has never seen me with my makeup off, I look completely different. lol. Sometimes when I'm at my bf's house I want to come on Acne.org but then I'd be really embarassed if he found out I was on here and then he'd probably find my log and I would be mortified and he'd probably tell me to take my makeup off. i would just die haha. So i save these moments for when I'm at home. I'll be gone for a week at the end of this month. I'll be going to New Orleans so I hope I can get my prescription filled before then!

My skin is getting drier and my lips cracked in my sleep and bled. ew. I still don't understand this facial hair growing on my neck, it's weird. They're tiny blonde hairs but kind of long. UGH. Even if I didn't have redmarks, I have redness around my nose and my mouth, and I think I'd just have to forever wear makeup. I don't expect the marks to heal because it takes like 2 years for them to go away. how ridiculous. so does anybody know if aloe vera really works in healing redmarks? I read about how jojoba oil broke some people out. does aloe vera do that? because i can't afford to get more redmarks than i already do.

i'll update when i get accepted or denied by my insurance. if i get denied, ill have to pay $150 a month for accutane. bleh

DAY 34

I had to miss two days, so technically it's Pill 32 although it's Day 34. I finally got the insurance thing done and they decided to cover the whole medication, so I paid $0!!

As far as my face, I have one active zit under my nose, it bothers me because I can feel it every time I talk. But let's not forget the redmarks that are still everywhere. I stopped using on-the-spot treatment for my zits after the 2nd week and decided to let accutane run its course. So I just use cleanser and moisturizer.

I started getting a rash on my hand and arms so I have to put lotion on it day and night to keep it from spreading elsewhere.

One thing I love about being on Accutane is how my face is no longer oily. I don't have to blot it at all, it's so great! Before I would glow so much that you could almost see your reflection when looking at me, but not anymore. I know that once I come off accutane, it will come back.

DAY 36

I have a big one pulsating under my skin on my upper right cheek. It's like I can feel it growing. My skin as an uneven tone, especially around my nose and mouth area, but it was like that before accutane too.

I like Aquafor so much, I'm going to continue using it even after my course because it makes my lips look bigger and redder. :) so I bought the big tube at the drugstore, it was $7.

My redmarks are still very visible. That bothers me more than the zits itself. If the zits never left a mark, my skin would be pretty clear looking. my makeup doesn't hide them very well either. i hear all sorts of stuff about aloe vera, bio oil, jojoba oil, emu oil, but I don't want to risk getting a breakout and having to get even more redmarks. patience is the key. yes, i have none of that.

my face is definitely getting drier. i dont care too much about my lips being dry, although I have a habit of picking at them. gross.

my doc wants to up me to 60mg instead of 40mg next month, but i dont know if i really need to up my dosage.

i cant believe how much time has flown by since day 1. doc said that usually around month 3 or 4 is when i should expect to see some results. if accutane could clear redmarks id be so ecstatic!

my boyfriend wants to get a place with me, but the only reason why i keep making up excuses to him is because i dont want him to see me with my makeup off. i look somewhat normal with my makeup on, but without it, my face is so red and covered in marks that takes months to years to heal. ugh. if he ever found this log id be so embarassed. hah.

next week im leaving on a trip to new orleans so i plan to drink more than i have lately. i know i shouldn't.

i dont like putting vaseline in my nose because i almost feel like i can smell my boogies. lol and it doesn't smell nice, im probably just smelling the vaseline.

i always wondered, let's say two babies were born while the mothers were on accutane. so both came out deformed. so if those two babies (separate moms) were to have a baby together when they got older, do you think their baby would come out deformed? just a useless thought.

DAY 42

I'm so glad I never got an IB. Just three undesirable zits since I first started. My redmarks are married to my face. I bought Vitamin E oil and put it on one part of my face to see if there were any results but I haven't seen anything yet. I guess I was expecting some miracle overnight. There is definite improvement since I began. Redmarks are fading slooooowwly, but my face is not oily so that's been great. I'm beginning to think my hair is thinning though, and I already have thin hair to begin with. I'm leaving tomorrow on a trip for spring break so I will still be drinking alcohol, just not as much I hope.

DAY 50

I just got back from my trip two days ago. I drank a lot of alcohol for five days straight. I shouldn't have done it but it was my only vacation. I forgot to take one pill and I even lost track of what day it was for me. I don't really like counting my days on the accutane because it just slows it down. Being on vacation made me forget about accutane which was great.

I haven't had a single pimple on my face!! I never got to experience an IB and I don't have a single zit, however I still have TONS of redmarks but they are fading slowly so im very excited. Except, now I just worry that a year later it might return. Still getting red eyes because my new contacts ripped so I had to go back to the old one. Will order new ones soon. Nothing else to report on, I just hope my skin stays clear. :)

DAY 57

No active zits still. Face is looking quite good these days. I just have redmarks and I'm being pretty patient on them. I look sooooo much better, I can't wait to see what my face looks like in two more months.

I've been pretty tired and feeling blah lately. nothing extreme, just noticeable. I sleep longer and sleep earlier than i used to. i have a bad habit of picking my lips EVERYDAY and it bleeds. i need to stop. ive always did that even before accutane. i need to stop being lazy and just grab the aquafor.

my skin isn't very dry, just my lips. ive noticed my hair is a lot thinner, i hope it goes back to normal after the course. im still having trouble wearing contacts so i have to wear glasses sometimes. other than that, face is doing really well. its only been 2 months and it feels a lot longer on accutane.