Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blackbirdbeatle

Alcohol, Insulin and Glucose

Okay I just want to nip this in the bud. Alcohol itself does not cause an increase in insulin. If anything it decreases it. Diabetics sometimes even need to eat before drinking or take insulin becuase they will be in trouble if they don't.

Alcohol when consumed causes the liver to stop the insulin glucose thing for a while and takes care of the alcohol first.

Now obviously I'm talking about hard alcohol and wine (Very little carbs like 5grams and the body processes the alcohol before the carbs so it's negligable).

Beer is a bit worse but even then it takes around 5 or so beer (Of the typical watery beer North American variety) to equal the carb content of one can of pop and again the effects on glucose and insulin are much different than with pop or something with the equivalent carb content.

Again, alcohol causes a lowering in blood sugar. So much so that it isn't uncommon for a drunk diabetic to come to the ER in a hypogycemic coma (The GF is a RN).

Read this study:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/26/3/608

Notice at the end how it states that heavy drinking (like 8 glasses a day every day) is an increase for type 2 diabetes but moderate to low is a reduction. There is even an increase in sensitivity (A good thing).

They make reference to other studies done (Linked in this study) where the people were younger (20's), in shape and drank only lightly or moderately and they too had a decrease in resistance/increase in sensitivity. This was with beer, not hard alcohol so you can imagine that hard alcohol wouldn't have any effect , or a positive one if taken in moderate to low doses, which is shown time and time again in diabetics.

Note this study was done with NON diabetics.

Of course all this goes out the window when you are drinking sugar filled drink mixes(But not as much as you would think).

Alcohol effects many other things too!

Alcohol also increases estrogen (in men too, and even moderate amounts) and raised estrogen levels appears to reduce the uptake of taurine. (not the conversion too, but the actual uptake - one of it's jobs it to regulate it).

Alcohol inhibits natural taurine synthesis, which means that your body can't convert to taurine if you need more of it. (but conversely it can increases the absorption rate!)

Alcohol is also a diuretics (and so is caffeine even though mild for those drinking plenty of redbull/coke) so they can cause dehydration, which can affect many areas of the body, water is vital to the body, especially the skin!

so what you're saying is that it is OK to drink pure vodka sometimes, and that alcohols like absolut vodka actually helps agains acne?

Alcohol effects many other things too!

Alcohol also increases estrogen (in men too, and even moderate amounts) and raised estrogen levels appears to reduce the uptake of taurine. (not the conversion too, but the actual uptake - one of it's jobs it to regulate it).

Alcohol inhibits natural taurine synthesis, which means that your body can't convert to taurine if you need more of it. (but conversely it can increases the absorption rate!)

Alcohol is also a diuretics (and so is caffeine even though mild for those drinking plenty of redbull/coke) so they can cause dehydration, which can affect many areas of the body, water is vital to the body, especially the skin!

Yes I know it affects other things. I just wanted to point out that the evidence says that alcohol=insulin spike is false in most cases. I'm sure if you are drunk everyday you won't care about acne anyway.

I realise the new thing on this board is taurine but you have to realise that there have been a ton of well researched and thought out acne cures here over the years that only pan out for a percentage of people. Most people drink at night so I'm sure that if you get taurine the previous 10 hours you are awake and not drinking you'll be fine.

As for it being a diuretic, well I'm pretty sure that it's an easy fix if you are well hydrated throughout the night and don't go crazy with alcohol.

so what you're saying is that it is OK to drink pure vodka sometimes, and that alcohols like absolut vodka actually helps agains acne?

If you believe that your acne is caused by an increase in blood sugar and the insulin response that happens, yes. Sometimes. From what I've read, just from a insulin perspective, it's okay to drink most alcohol moderately or lightly with out having a negative effect and in many cases having a positive one.

Women it seems are also less affected than men.

From all the people here that say they break out after a night of partying and blame it on the alcohol, I wonder if they have considered all the factors of that night?

Did they put sugary mixes in their drinks? Did they stay up all night? What did they eat before or when they were drunk that night? Is it because alcohol causes acne period or becuase they can't processes it themselves? I know asians that puke afer one mouthful of beer and have bad reactions.

This is what I mentioned in the fructose thread as an experiment I wanted to try. Not more than one serving of a clean alcohol per day, like vodka, but not more! It would be interesting to see what happened. I wonder if taking a small amount of alcohol with something sweet would help negate the sugar spike? And at the same time if you took taurine it would increase the absorption of it...hmmm...