Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~Chris~

Glycolic Acid lotion on face?

I get moderate acne on my face, if left untreated (under control with Retin-A), and I have large pores on my nose, that will fill up with sebum, and turn dark if I didn't use retinoids. The large pores on my nose don't fill up quite as quickly, but they still do (1-2 weeks they get gross) with the use of retinoids, and the pores always look big all over my nose. My pores are also similar on my chin/lower lip.

I've been thinking of trying out a 10% Glycolic Acid lotion on my face during the day, and possibly a 2'nd application at night underneath, or replacing the Retin-A. Is there anything I should know before I try this? Does glycolic clean out pores in the same manner as say, mandelic acid? Will it do much for moderate facial acne?

I just want to be sure I'm not doing anything that isn't safe by trying this, and know if there's any chance it will help reduce the appearance of the pores on my nose/chin, and keep them from clogging up.

Glycolic acid really works well with Salicylic acid. As a team they are super pore cleaners..

But, what's going on with you and retin a? What's your current regimen? How long have you been using your current regimen?

Do not use glycolic acid too much. Twice a day is too much.

My skin reacted I think because of too much glycolic acid put on. Don't irritate your skin you'll be sorry. I went to my derm because my skin developed rash like small bumps (like clogged pores) that seemed to be multiplying everyday starting when my skin got irritated, I continued using glycolic but what I was doing was just aggravating them.

My derm told me to stop using it for 3 days, and now is the 2nd day I haven't used any products on my face, and my face is definitely improving drastically.

:) Good luck!

Glycolic acid really works well with Salicylic acid. As a team they are super pore cleaners..

But, what's going on with you and retin a? What's your current regimen? How long have you been using your current regimen?

You said Sacylic and Glycolic make a great combo, would you recommend I try something other then a straight Glycolic lotion, like is there one that has Sacylic Acid in it or something?

I just started using a glycolic acid - aha souffle 12% - in the am and trying amlactin at night, since it is more greasy and it is Lactic Acid, which I have been reading is a great AHA for skin. But If I don't use SA - then I start to see the blackheads again, so I am using that once a day in the am and the BP at night. The Glycolic has made a huge change in my skin, but it really stings for a bit after you put it on. I think mostly because all the other regimens I have used prior to trying Dan's regimen, really dried my skin out - and now it is looking healthier, softer. Not using a moisturizer I have found after applying the lotion, can make your skin very dry and look red, so I make sure to do that.

Good luck, reading all the reviews and info on this site has been a great help in finding the right things to try for me.

I tried using a 12% Glycolic Acid cleanser and then applying a 1% Salicylic Acid leave on lotion followed by moisturiser for about 3 months. I had been using the SA for a while. I saw no improvement over using regular liquid soap in my blackheads or the general condition of my skin from the GA. When I stopped using it I didn't notice any worsening of anything. Didn't work for me and was fairly expensive.

Do not use glycolic acid too much. Twice a day is too much.

My skin reacted I think because of too much glycolic acid put on. Don't irritate your skin you'll be sorry. I went to my derm because my skin developed rash like small bumps (like clogged pores) that seemed to be multiplying everyday starting when my skin got irritated, I continued using glycolic but what I was doing was just aggravating them.

My derm told me to stop using it for 3 days, and now is the 2nd day I haven't used any products on my face, and my face is definitely improving drastically.

:) Good luck!

I tried using a 12% Glycolic Acid cleanser and then applying a 1% Salicylic Acid leave on lotion followed by moisturiser for about 3 months. I had been using the SA for a while. I saw no improvement over using regular liquid soap in my blackheads or the general condition of my skin from the GA. When I stopped using it I didn't notice any worsening of anything. Didn't work for me and was fairly expensive.

I just started using a glycolic acid - aha souffle 12% - in the am and trying amlactin at night, since it is more greasy and it is Lactic Acid, which I have been reading is a great AHA for skin. But If I don't use SA - then I start to see the blackheads again, so I am using that once a day in the am and the BP at night. The Glycolic has made a huge change in my skin, but it really stings for a bit after you put it on. I think mostly because all the other regimens I have used prior to trying Dan's regimen, really dried my skin out - and now it is looking healthier, softer. Not using a moisturizer I have found after applying the lotion, can make your skin very dry and look red, so I make sure to do that.

Good luck, reading all the reviews and info on this site has been a great help in finding the right things to try for me.

A cleanser does not have the time to sit on your skin the same way a lotion can. I would have to question it's effectiveness.

Thanks for all your help guys. Hopefully I'll find something that works for me. I think I'll slowly start changing things around and eventually I should come up with something that works. I think the retinoids are too irritating to my skin. I'm gonna get off those once I get the new stuff mentioned below in the mail. I'm going to give the Acne.org regimen a try for about a month, and incorporate the 8% SA into it.

I'll wash my face, pat dry, wait 5 min, apply 8% SA, wait 3~8 mins (see how much it burns/peels to determine), rinse off, pat dry, wait 5 min, apply 2.5% BP (acne.org stuff), wait 30m, apply moisturizer. I'll do this twice a day, every 12 hours.

Sound like a good plan? I get mild acne/stubborn clogged pores/blackheads.

If this doesn't seem to be doing much after a month or so, I'll try to incorporate Glycolic somehow, but the SA sounds pretty promising.

I'm only going to post this page that happens to be from a major company that sells skin preparations because it works. It also illustrated what's going on deep in your skin quite well.

I was skeptical at first.

http://www.healthyskinbydesign.com/acne.cfm

Glycolic Acid:

In recent years glycolic acid has achieved significant medical respect as a tool to as­ sist in clearing acne. Studies indicate that glycolic acid appears to help in breaking down the "glue-like substance" in the fol­ licle that contributes to the formation of follicular blockage. This action is believed to then assist in clearing the follicle. In ad­ dition, research shows that glycolic acid acts as a delivery agent and may greatly enhance the effect of other topical medications. Other benefits include a reduction in the appearance of the size of the follicle. As the blockage in the follicle is reduced, the ca­ nal relaxes, making the opening look much smaller and more refined.

Salicylic Acid:

Salicylic acid is an acne medication that is endorsed by the American Academy of Der­ matology. Salicylic acid is categorized as a "comedolytic" agent. This refers to its abil­ ity to retard or reverse the formation of comedones. Salicylic acid is also mildly exfoliating, but its real value is that in combination with glycolic acid it may be able to prevent and resolve micro­ comedones, which are the basis of the eventual acne lesion. Salicylic acid has an excellent safety record and is well tolerated by most individuals.

8% Salicylic Acid sounds very strong to me. I have been using 2% and finding it reduces my blackheads a bit but not totally. I have been thinking about going up to 5%. I think 8% might cause your skin to dry out and peel.

See glycolic acid product recommendations in my signature. The recommendations are compiled from various members (including what I use). I will second Dee's recommendation to combine glycolic acid (GA) and salicylic acid (SA or even BHA, beta hydroxy acid) together. Together they really clear out my pores. I do not know if it would work well for others. Some swear by mandelic acid.

See glycolic acid product recommendations in my signature. The recommendations are compiled from various members (including what I use). I will second Dee's recommendation to combine glycolic acid (GA) and salicylic acid (SA or even BHA, beta hydroxy acid) together. Together they really clear out my pores. I do not know if it would work well for others. Some swear by mandelic acid.

The 8% Sacylic can be found at http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/betaserum.htm . Thanks to Dee for that link.

I'm starting to be sold on the combination of Glycolic and Sacylic, but I'm afraid to combine 2 strong things all at once. I think I'll try the plan I came up with, and if I'm still having clogged pores a month from now, I'll try to find a way to work Glycolic in. Maybe I can replace the BP Gel at PM with Glycolic 10% or something, and use 5% SA on my face over night (leaving it on), instead of using the 8% and rinsing it off (over the Glycolic, after the Glycolic has time to absorb).

Elemis sells a Glycolic Toner that is 8% Glycolic and 2% Salicylic Acid. I bought it on a cruise in Europe this summer when I had a breakout and didn't have anything with me (Yeah, I'm stupid but Normally vacations are when I clear up). I just remembered that it was sitting in the back of my cabinet today and pulled it out. I'm already using MD Forte, so glycolics are not new to me but the whole SA and GA working together thing made me try it out. Wow! M skin feel soft and refreshed. A little stingy at first but within a few minutes it subsided. This evening I looked in the mirror and realized that the Carbuncle on my forehead was half the size and my papules that I extracted on my jawline this morning were flat and dried out. More even skin tone too! Imagine I had this stuff sitting around for awhile.

wonder if it will work on my hyper-pigmentation and scars?

thanks for the added warning on the Sunscreen I use a 15 SPF total sunblock plus the 15 SPF in my day cream and 6 SPF in My Makeup, I think for the winter I will be fine but will slather the 30 on when the sun decides to shine again.

I'll post my results on this toner after a few days. I'm hopeful so far. If I can control "this Monster" with just a leave on toner I'll be freaking happy. Unfortunately I think the stuff is $35! But for the UK and European Folks, Elemis should be available since it's European brand

8% salicylic acid is very strong. I don't know what the pH is on that product, but I would be careful.

Glycolic acid exfoliates the cells on the surface of your skin; salicylic acid is lipid-soluble, so it can penetrate into the pores and exfoliate them. SA is generally considered more appropriate for use against blackheads.

If you are going to use SA, I would start with a 2% leave-on product (such as the Paula's Choice BHA liquid or gel) and see how your skin tolerates it. Many people have success with it. If that isn't strong enough, you can get an excellent 5% SA product at a low pH from Diana Yvonne (www.dianayvonne.com). I would only use 8% as a last resort, and only if your skin has become extremely well adjusted to SA.

You might also look into mandelic acid, or a mandelic/SA combo.