Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
slick33

FINALLY!!!! Something that works!!!!

Okay, just to give you a history on myself... I'm 33 and have had acne ranging from mild to severe for the past 20 years. I have been struggling with adult acne and have unfortunately not grown out of it. I've been on accutane 3 times. Worked like a charm each time; problem is, the acne came back within about 6-8 months after each treatment.

Well, like everyone else here, I've been through every over the counter cleanser known to mankind and have been putting BP, Retin-A, or some topical on my face for years. The last few years I have been bothered by more moderate acne. Mostly little bumps, whiteheads and the occasional cyst. My face always get soooo oily within a couple hours of washing.

Recently, I broke down and went and saw a very prominent and nationally known dermatologist here in my city. He told me to immediatly stop washing with water and to begin washing merely with Cetaphil without water. The results have been astounding! I have been doing this for about a week and have not had one new blemish which a totally foreign concept to me. I have also discontinued use of any topical medication.

Here's what you do. With any anti-bacterial handsoap, wash your hands for a good 20-30 seconds to make sure you destroy any bacteria on them and rinse well. Next get some Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser and pour out approximately a half dollar sized amount in your palm. Gently rub your hands together and then even more gently rub it on your face and neck in circular motions. When finished, take a soft, clean, dry washcloth and pat your face all over until it's dry. Pat gently as not to irritate your skin. You may also use soft tissue paper to remove the Cetaphil. And, that's it! You'll notice your skin will look healthier within the first day.

I know some of you think it's crazy to wash without water, but my Dermatologist told me that there is steralized water in the Cetaphil, so there shouldn't be any concerns. Also, the water that comes out of your tap has some detergents and other chemicals that can be irritating to your sensitive skin. He assured me that I will still be removing the same amout of bacteria as when I would use other cleansers with water.

All I can say is... GIVE THIS A TRY! I'll bet you'll be happy with the results.

See http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthr...ad.php?t=150026 for more posts regarding this topic.

My ex-wife used to wash her face with Cetaphil this way and wipe it off with a tissue. Seemed to remove the makeup pretty nicely. I think it's similar to cold creme that you remove with a tissue and that seems to remove makeup pretty easily. I've actually heard that it works better to remove makeup if you use it without water.

Look here for some reviews: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...x=29067&tab=1#1

slick:

i have a family friend who swears by it and she has had severe acne for a long time. i want to try it but i'm so scared of just relying on Cetaphil. if you don't mind, i have tons of questions for you

1. how long did it take to see results?

2. who is this dermatologist you saw? name/office #?

3. why are more dermatologists not recommending this?

4. do you get red/brown marks from past pimples?

5. what happens if you get into other water like when you go swimming?

6. how oily is your face now?

7. do you think that maybe your acne was just caused by tap water?

8. you don't get ANY pimples anymore?

thank you soooo much!

Cetaphil always broke me out, as im very sensitive to the SLS in it.

Also, it doesn't have ingrediants to reduce the bacteria count on your skin(thats one cause of acne) It doesn't exfoliate(2nd cause of acne) and it doesn't help reduce the oil on your skin (third cause) Id say you have just been lucky to find something that helps you, but in general, it isn't the answer. The absolute vast majority of acne suufferers who just cleanse and nothing else, find these routines work for about a week or two then it comes back in force.

hatch: I hate to disagree with you, but even if you washed only with warm water, you would be reducing the bacteria count on your skin. Granted it won't be to the level that something with triclosan would, but bacteria will still be reduced nonetheless. I'm on about day 11 of this and so far so good. I guess time will tell if all is going to go to hell in a handbasket after the first 2 weeks. Also, you may use whatever topicals you have been using to control the p. acnes. This is only the cleansing routine. It just happens that I'm having success with this alone. Others may have to continue their topicals.

im willing to try this.... do you do this in the morning, afternoon, nighttime? how exactly does this work....? right after a shower or something? im gonna use BP though too at nighttime, ill see how it goes.

slick33, Im not against it working or the fact its worked well for you. Im glad. If only we could all control acne that easy.

Just washing with water or non medicated cleanser does help remove surface bacteria, yes, but it just isn't enough for the average acne sufferer, if it were, a splash of water in the morn and night would keep us all clear, but maybe those with "very minimal acne" may find relief, but id say thats it.

Im like you, ive battled acne for years, i've also known many people in the skin care field, and this topic of just simple cleansing comes up alot, yet you'd be the first i've heard of, with acne that has been lucky enough for it to work for. There are reasons acne is formed, the three i mentioned above are some. But without treating acne by addressing these causes, (even though at first your skin looks better, because you aren't treating it with medications) for most, it will resort back to its old ways and break out again.... Id hate people to stop there routines just for a cetaphil wash and hope to get clear skin, and then end up worse. And as you say, most will need to use topicals, but that would go against what you've posted, You can get clear "only" using cetaphil. So i think you can understand what i mean. Im not against you or the routine, i just think there will be alot of disappointed people if this is all they use. This isn't the first post to come up on water only.... etc routines, but most just don't cut it.

Actually there's sterile water in Cetaphill so its way more sterile than water iteself. In addition, if you dont strip your natural oils away (i.e water, harsh cleaners, chemicals) than your body MAY not overly produce sebum to compentsate. Also irratation increases inflammation and exacerbates acne, this iratation could come from anything harsh like the water. There is no extra exfoliation going on with this method, but if you help your body go in the right direction then maybe it can pick up small peices along the way. If anyone does give this a whirl please post, you too slick

People on the other board (Healthboards) have been trying this with good success. I'm not trying to push it on anyone, only sharing what is working for me.

Cheers!

Slick

I have very dry skin but with quite severe adult acne - going to try this as other products seem too harsh for me...

Does the Cetaphil leave you moisturised or do you use a moisturiser with it? If so, which one?

Could you give us the name of your dermatologist?..

Thanks

Katie

thanks slick!

how's your routine going?

KT: you don't need to moisturize bc when you wipe off the Cetaphil it leaves behind a residue that acts as a moisturizer but is much gentler. i've been using it for 2 days and my skin is baby soft.

Bump for this sh*t. There's some kind of strange thing with my skin and water.

Slick, thanks for the heads up. I just started this Cetaphil Cleansing without water and Boo yeah, dry skin good night. And I also think that I breakout because my skin was dry, irritated, and oily because of this.

This is very interesting and I see exactly what ur Derm means and its along the lines of my beliefs aswell.

Slick:-

What about shaving? How do you shave? Is it an electric you use?

This is an importany question for everyone trying this I guess.

Quick questions that didn't seem clear to me:

1) If you come back from a hard workout or have dirt on your face and do this during the night (or morning) won't it just mix with the dirt and enter the pores/huge mess on the face?

2) What about showering? I shower at night so will I have to wait untill my face is dry to do this?

3) How many times a day does it have to be done?

Never mind... just read on the other forum...

So I can't wet my face EVER? Ouch that seems.. very... wierd...

The steam from the hot shower would HAVE to get on my face one way or the other... hmmm...

BUT, I'll give it a try. biggrin.gif/

Circle: I've been using an electric shaver ever since I began this "no water" routine. There is someone on the other board who has been shaving with water as normal but using Cetaphil after his face is dry and it seems to be working okay for him.

RevolutionIsMyName: You don't necessarily have to avoid water altogether (i.e., steam from shower, etc). I think the idea is to not saturate your face in water if possible.

slick:

how is your skin doing? i have been using Cetaphil for the past three days. i still get oily in the late afternoon and wipe my face with just a little bit of Cetaphil on a kleenex. how do you not get oily anymore? my skin is soo soft and the discomfort from other overdrying "moisturizing" cleansers is gone. Retin-a (i just started 3 weeks ago) keeps me peeling but underneath all that dead skin it feels great. thanks for sharing!

malia: I do still get oily, but nothing like it was before. I mean the oil production has been cut down by 75%.

Things are still going well for me on this regimen. I'm using BP every other night just as a precaution.

so if i bought this i would do this:

wake up

take shower, dont purposely wet face

get outta shower

apply cetaphil to my non wet face

pat with towel

blah blah blah...

before bed

apply cetaphil again (no water still)

pat with towel

brush teeth

goto bed