Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
themagicofmagic

How much of a difference can picking and popping make?

Hi. I am a person who often picks acne and scabs, usually to the point of bleeding.

I have probably what you would call mild or moderate acne. Usually my pimples appear next to eachother, often where I have picked on previously. I usually get 2 or 3 right next to eachother, while other spots remain clear. For example, I stopped picking the pimples on my nose, and they went away and none have come back, but I picked a lot on my cheeks, and others appeared.

So basically what I'm asking is to what extend does picking effect skin? Could it be one of the main causes of acne? Also...I heard that if your pimples bleed your usually gonna get scars...is this true?

Hi. I am a person who often picks acne and scabs, usually to the point of bleeding.

I have probably what you would call mild or moderate acne. Usually my pimples appear next to eachother, often where I have picked on previously. I usually get 2 or 3 right next to eachother, while other spots remain clear. For example, I stopped picking the pimples on my nose, and they went away and none have come back, but I picked a lot on my cheeks, and others appeared.

So basically what I'm asking is to what extend does picking effect skin? Could it be one of the main causes of acne? Also...I heard that if your pimples bleed your usually gonna get scars...is this true?

I pick on weaklings all the time too, and also especially the big troublemakers. They'll bleed, and I get their lunch money. They may cry tears of blood, but I'm a good guy, so I put something antiseptic on afterwards. I mean really put some on, like dabbing on loads, and fingering them for several minutes. I'm not rough, so they won't scar much, if at all.

Just dont use your nails and it probably wont scar. I never use my nails. What I do is I wrap my index fingers in paper towels and pop away. Although, lately I havent been doing that as much.

I pick on weaklings all the time too, and also especially the big troublemakers. They'll bleed, and I get their lunch money. They may cry tears of blood, but I'm a good guy, so I put something antiseptic on afterwards. I mean really put some on, like dabbing on loads, and fingering them for several minutes. I'm not rough, so they won't scar much, if at all.

Whatever I can get my greasy hands on. Alcohol, sometimes even peroxide on qtips, antiseptic creams, but almost always tea tree gel. It leaves a film I can rub away later when it dries.

I find picking/popping spots usually leads to a longer healing process and more scarring, but it's still hard not to do! :wall:

I'm usually good about not picking, but every once in a while I get so frustrated I pick at every clogged pore I have. Not only does it leave me with red marks much more noticable than the clogged pore, but I seem to get a a big breakout within a couple days of doing so. I put a dab of rubbing alcohol over each place I pop as well. I don't know if I get stressed about the red marks and it causes me to breakout more, or if there's some other connection...but picking never does me anyyy good.

i use to never pop any pimples and i ended up with a few scars. if u leave certain ones in too long it can break the capillary walls in ur skin and make a scar on its own. when i go get my microdermabrasion my facial consultant pops my pimples for me. for some she uses her hands and some she uses a 33 gauge lancet needle. they heal faster when you pop them, and always put a good antiseptic on it. ive tried popping some that i shouldve left alone and from those, i have tiny scars. just know which ones u should pop and never pick any of them! only pop if neccessary.

i use to never pop any pimples and i ended up with a few scars. if u leave certain ones in too long it can break the capillary walls in ur skin and make a scar on its own. when i go get my microdermabrasion my facial consultant pops my pimples for me. for some she uses her hands and some she uses a 33 gauge lancet needle. they heal faster when you pop them, and always put a good antiseptic on it. ive tried popping some that i shouldve left alone and from those, i have tiny scars. just know which ones u should pop and never pick any of them! only pop if neccessary.

When you force them to bleeding point they scar?

Because I used to do that, but they are seeming to go away reeealllly slowly

themagicofmagic, you need to understand that our hands are EXTREMELY greasy and oily (as is our entire body) so when you touch the acne on your face you're not only irritating it but also adding oil to an already oily face. Ofcourse there's also the concern of scarring. Many people have acne almost solely because they keep touching your face. Restrain yourself! :)

That would entirelly depend on whether said action is of sufficient force, whether said action is adminstered in a way such that ones skin is ruptured through brute external impact, and whether one applies topical antiseptic ointments and creams on said lesion.

For instance, there was a large blackhead situated under my skin, for a duration of no less than two years. I have, to my great and joyous delight, recently discovered that the head had exposed its naked form to the surface of my skin. I then proceeded to thoroughly cleanse my fingers, including under my fingernails, with several applications of antiseptic soap, whilst ensuring that my mouth is in its appropriate gleeful position. I set aside my tea-tree gel, as well as a single ice-cube. Then through measured force, I demolished the area around the opening in order to coerce the nut to surrender. On my first attempt, I managed to clinch the upper part with my fingernails, but I unfortunately slipped and had it decapitated. On my second attempt, it was much harder. This was due to my rare skin condition, called dermatographia, which prevented me from smoothly extracting the nut, as the entire area has swelled considerably. But I proceeded regardless. I negotiated with the opening from several angles, and it responded by starting to bleed with much profuseness. On my last and exhaustive attempt, I used all my mightly manly strength to finally expose the creature. It was large, and I found that it had been entirelly covered with a thin skin-like material, of which I also managed to extract.

With lightning haste, I quickly cleansed the entire area with dabs of isoprophyl alcohol, which did not hurt in the least, since as a manly man, I was completely oblivious to pain. Immediately thereafter, the ice-cube was applied for several minutes in order to reduce the swelling. Normally I would be against the use of ice, as it had the ability to break small capillaries. However, as I have already destroyed them from the procedure above, there was no problem. This was then followed by several more dabs of the alcohol, and the final process was to apply extreme amounts of tea-tree gel over the entire area. Whilst extracting the nut, I always took extreme care in ensuring that my nails did not puncture my skin. Had I not taken this appropriate step, I would have yet another manly scar on my manly face to tell my grandchildren about decades later. I would have been forced to tell them that said scar had been accquired from the process of battling wild bears.

The immediate swelling-reduction and disinfection ensured a faster recovery time. The gel is vital here as I have, through continued utilization over the years, discovered that it was an excellent barrier to everything around, including water, sweat, and even soap. It physically blocked external pathogens from entering the wound by binding to my skin in such a way that is not dissimilar to glue. Since it also contained significant amounts of ethanol, it also destroyed almost everything over the lesion. As the blood clot started forming, any leftover pathogens found lurking will have been sandwiched between the white blood cells and the powerful gel.

The entire procedure had been carried out on the previous Wednesday. Today, a Monday, I managed to gently peel away the tea-tree layer together with the now dried up clot. The skin underneath is smooth, in a manly way, and is completely unblemished. The pore is unscared, and looks like any other surrounding it.

I will thusly deem the procedure a complete success. This calls for a celebratory manly muscle-flex which will in no way affect the normal thought processes of females nearby. *flex*

Not only does picking and popping make it scar worse, it also spreads the bacteria to the surrounding hair follicles making more cysts and zits pop up near the previous one.

I'm a reformed picker. It took tons of self-control and wearing gloves on my hands while sleeping (I was subconciously picking while asleep), but I stopped about 3 weeks ago and ONLY popped when they were completely mature. Basically if I knew it was mature because I could barely press on a lesion and gunk would come out. Any more pressure and I would stop and just leave it alone. It's why we also sometimes get cysts in the same place over and over again. Leave it alone, keep your hands clean and don't touch your face. More irritation makes for worse acne. I'm using the "Less is more" theory right now.