Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
immortaltech

How can I fight dryness with Retin-A Micro?

So I've been using Retin-A Micro for about a week and a half and my skin is beginning to peel pretty badly. I have Cetaphil moisturizer which I've been applying in the morning but it doesn't seem to do enough. Should I also be using the baby brush method still...or would that be too irritating?

Thanks for any tips.

Hi -- when I went through the peeling phase, I would moisturize fairly often (like once an hour or so). I also found that holding a wet towel (paper towel) to my face calmed it down a lot too.

I also got doped into buying some vitamin C scrub before treatment, so I applied that once a week (I think after my 2nd week of treatment), and that got rid of A LOT of peeling skin.

Don't despair though, one day, it will stop peeling! :)

Once an hour? Wow I thought 3x a day was a lot. The worst part is my face just burns when I moisturize and stays fairly pinkish all day. I put on a ton of moisturizer today so the peeling wasn't bad but the redness....ahhhh. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

A lotion with lactic acid (LacHydrin5, AmLactin) may help to alleviate flakiness, but I would only use it when my skin isn't irritated at all.

Aquaphor at night, after cleansing while skin is a bit moist, is the best recommendation I can give you. It's what helps me get through the rough spots while I'm trying to stick with green cream.

Once an hour? Wow I thought 3x a day was a lot. The worst part is my face just burns when I moisturize and stays fairly pinkish all day. I put on a ton of moisturizer today so the peeling wasn't bad but the redness....ahhhh. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

You know, I didn't really think of it as "how many mL of lotion on my face" so much as "dude, I'm giving you moisturizer, so quit your peeling". My skin never did listen.

The flakes were a lot less noticable for me when I moisturized often.

My skin felt like it was burning too when I used moisturizer. I think it's just something that skin does -- I tried Eucerin (sooo cakey, even though the dermatologist recommended it) and Aveeno calming moisturizer. I liked the Aveeno one more, although, after too many applications, the lotion just wouldn't absorb anymore.

To mitigate some of the "blush" (the little insert totally lied to me too - when I think "skin may take on a light blush" I don't really equate that to "crap, my skin is red and I look like I got sun burnt in winter"), I would hold wet towels to my face. The cool moisture took some of the blush coloring off.

Just look at it this way: it can adjust in a short time and have it over with (and with people's imperfect memories, no one is really going to remember) or it can be prolonged and just frustrate yourself.

I chose to have it done with at once, so while it bothered me, it didn't persist for too long. No one remembers my once peeling face. People comment on how bright I look now. So nothing stays forever.

Good Luck!

Hi, I know what you're going through! I'm going through the initial breakout and it feels like my skin is just so pissed off at me -angry, red, flaky and covered in spots. I've been through a couple of moisturisers, a lot of which seemed to sting when I applied them but I've just started using Effaclar-H from La Roche Posay (recommended by my Derm) and it seems to be doing the trick. It's soothing, moisturising and formulated for acne prone skin.

I'm on differin, and what helped with my peeling is adding a few drops of jojoba oil to my cetaphil moisturizer. It really worked wonders.