Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been using Tazorac since September of 2007. That's 20 weeks of nightly use. My skin looks worse than it did before I started treatment and it doesn't seem to wanna get better. My acne has lessened but there are red marks all over my cheeks as well as small bumps.

I have been to the dermotologist trying to say "This isn't working, what else can I do" but they insist I keep with the Tazorac. Is it just bringing all the bacteria out? I just don't know what to do. My self esteem is shot. I have no confidence. Its terrible.

I mean is this right? This is my second try with Tazorac. The first time I used Tazorac back in 2006 I had amazing results. I could feel it go into my skin and actually work. It burned a little. In no time at all my face was clear. Much Much clearer than it is now. I would give anything to go back to that and not stop like I did. Now when I put it on at night I feel nothing. It just feels like it sits on top of my skin without any effect. I wake up in the morning with practically the same skin as the night whereas on my first round of taz I could see results overnight eventually... Im in week 20 mind you.

Someone please let me know what I should do and/or what the hell is going on.

My Regimen:

Morning

Dan Kern Wash

Aveeno Ultra Calming SPF15 Moisturizer

Duac gel

50mg zinc (twice daily)

Fish Oil (twice daily)

Anti Oxidant Mineral Formula

Night

Dan Kern Wash

Cerave Moisturizer

Tazorac .01

But your acne has lessened, right? That's the most important thing. The red marks will fade, and you can hurry them along with a series of mild chemical peels too. The bumps...are they clogged pores? Nothing inside, not-inflammed, just stupid bumps you can feel and see in the light when you turn your head? Those are so frustrating because they don't seem to DO anything, or shift. They just sit there on your face like little monsters.

You're the 6th person I've noted on these forums to be having a harder time the second time they use a topical retinoid that worked like a charm before: two other taz posters, three retin a posters, one other differin poster. And there's me, too. My second time with differin was hell until almost 20 weeks. And the worst of it was the stupid bumps that wouldn't change or go away until they did go away, and very, very quickly. One week they were just gone.

Just to let you know you aren't alone in being thrown around by retinoid X, round 2. I say keep going with the taz, get a second opinion from another derm if you're really going crazy and be kinder on yourself. All that '12 weeks to flawless skin' talk in product inserts doesn't always hold true.

hey matthew,

i had teh same thing happen to me except with retin-a. now im using tazorac and its been 3 months and im DEFINATLY not where i want to be. everyones skin is diff, so there is no magic line that u must cross to be clear.

also i would recommend using tazorac along with another treatment (as long as ur skin doesnt get aggrivated, which it doesnt seem to be). i use tea tree oil because im allergic to bp. but yiou can try either. i found the only way to treat stubborn acne is to fight it from different angles (tazorac opens the pores and tea tree or bp kills bacteria)

oh also good diet and excersise...and RELAX, dont stree bout the problem it will make it worse (believe me i know, i was devastated from my acne)

let me know how ur doing and good luck :)

hey matthew,

i had teh same thing happen to me except with retin-a. now im using tazorac and its been 3 months and im DEFINATLY not where i want to be. everyones skin is diff, so there is no magic line that u must cross to be clear.

also i would recommend using tazorac along with another treatment (as long as ur skin doesnt get aggrivated, which it doesnt seem to be). i use tea tree oil because im allergic to bp. but yiou can try either. i found the only way to treat stubborn acne is to fight it from different angles (tazorac opens the pores and tea tree or bp kills bacteria)

oh also good diet and excersise...and RELAX, dont stree bout the problem it will make it worse (believe me i know, i was devastated from my acne)

Thanks for all of the input. Funny thing is, after I posted this I woke up the next morning with a huge white head on my cheek! Im starting to feel like im loosing my mind! I only use a thin amount of Taz on my face and it really just doesn't seem to be kickin in.

As far as tea tree oil, how do you incorporate it into your regimen? Wash and apply? Or is it something to be used with the Taz? I mean, having been on taz has anyone experienced GREAT results? I'm talking fully clear skin? Thanks a whole bunch and Im still standing which is something I'm glad to report. See ya.

PS-Im also on 200mg doxycycline daily

hey matthew,

Thanks for all of the input. Funny thing is, after I posted this I woke up the next morning with a huge white head on my cheek! Im starting to feel like im loosing my mind! I only use a thin amount of Taz on my face and it really just doesn't seem to be kickin in.

As far as tea tree oil, how do you incorporate it into your regimen? Wash and apply? Or is it something to be used with the Taz? I mean, having been on taz has anyone experienced GREAT results? I'm talking fully clear skin? Thanks a whole bunch and Im still standing which is something I'm glad to report. See ya.

hey matthew,

well u can try applying bp in the morning or sumthing like that. i just mix in a bit of tea tree in my moisturizer, but im finding its a bit too drying for me. and as for anyone having fully clear skin, the chances that they are on this site are minimal. but i have heard of ppl having success with tazorac but having to wait 6months...i wouldnt give up yet but i wouldnt be expecting PERFECT skin. keep me posted!

UPDATE!!!!

Well, I went to a new derm who put me on some new stuff which has made my skin do a complete turn around! Im astonished. She gave me Triaz cleanser to wash with in the morning and at night, Clindagel for mornings only, 100mg minocycline daily, and I am still on the tazorac at night. I cannot believe my eyes when I see the progress I have made in only a week's time. I have hope for the future and can't wait to see what happens in the coming months... thanks you guys for your input and support, it means a lot!!!

New Regimen:

MORNING

1. Wash with Triaz

2. Apply Clindagel

3. Moisturize with Cetaphil spf15 (small amount goes a long way)

4. 100mg Minocin

NIGHT

1. Wash with Triaz

2. Moisturize with Cetaphil (again, a little goes a long way)

3. Apply thing layer of Tazorac

4. Call it a night!