Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
silver star

Monistat Chafing Gel as a primer?

Hello!

I have heard a lot about Monistat Chafing Gel being an amazing "unexpected" primer for underneath makeup.

(one interesting review here)

Do some of you use this, and if so, how do you like it?

In particular, I've started using Everyday Minerals foundation - does anyone know how well it works under mineral makeup?

Additionally, I read in one place that it gives you skin a "dewy" finish, and in another place that it's "really matte" - what seems to be true?? I have pretty oily skin, so I don't really need any "help" with dewiness!

And does anyone know how "gentle" it is for acne-prone skin? Any unfriendly ingredients or irritating reactions you've heard of?

I just find this whole idea hilarious..... one of my good friends from college always had a tube of this exact stuff laying around, and I always found that REALLY awkward and never said anything about it. But I'm realizing now that the tube was always laying near where she kept her makeup, and her makeup always looked amazing - so now I'm thinking she probably knew about this "secret" trick, which is really amusing :)

I just bought Monistat's Chafing Relief Powder Gel after reading about it on this site. It is "Miracle in a Tube" - LOVE IT. I've have used Smashbox and Joey primers and can honestly say the Monistat beats them hands down at less than a 1/4 of the price.

It does take about 15 minutes to set to a matte finish. Make sure it is completely dry before applying the mineral makeup. On another site (sorry don't remember which site), I read that to minimize pores and scars as well as increase the "lasting power" of the cosmetics - to apply a finishing powder (ie: BE - Mineral Veil or EM - Silk Powder) before applying the mineral foundation. I have added this step and my makeup stays fresh looking for 8 to 10 hours - no need for touch up.

If you have oily skin - this is the primer for you because it has a drying effect. If you have dry skin - moisturize and let absorb before applying the Powder Gel.

Google "Monistat Chaffing Gel" - there are lots ofblogger's testimonials and tips worth reading.

Hello!

I have heard a lot about Monistat Chafing Gel being an amazing "unexpected" primer for underneath makeup.

(one interesting review here)

Do some of you use this, and if so, how do you like it?

In particular, I've started using Everyday Minerals foundation - does anyone know how well it works under mineral makeup?

Additionally, I read in one place that it gives you skin a "dewy" finish, and in another place that it's "really matte" - what seems to be true?? I have pretty oily skin, so I don't really need any "help" with dewiness!

And does anyone know how "gentle" it is for acne-prone skin? Any unfriendly ingredients or irritating reactions you've heard of?

I just find this whole idea hilarious..... one of my good friends from college always had a tube of this exact stuff laying around, and I always found that REALLY awkward and never said anything about it. But I'm realizing now that the tube was always laying near where she kept her makeup, and her makeup always looked amazing - so now I'm thinking she probably knew about this "secret" trick, which is really amusing :)

I feel like I'm in the same boat as you. I've cleared my skin up really well with this regimen, and I am really hesistant about putting that on my face, yet..I still have really oily skin..and if it works, that would be awesome. I may buy a tube, and just try it on like a small spot of my face, and see what happens.

i switch back and forth between this and the Present by philosophy. i like them both - the Monistat does contain the oilies better than the Present. it is cheaper - thats for sure.....

I am buying the Monistat chafing gel, that's for sure. :) I'm oily so it should be great for my skin.

I am buying the Monistat chafing gel, that's for sure. :) I'm oily so it should be great for my skin.

alright, thats it..i'm going to go buy it after work..or at least try to find it after work. My face is oil city..and if this helps, even a little bit...that would be awesome(granted it hopefully won't break me out).

Update:

Ok, so I just bought it..and took a shower..put some on for the night out..and so far, it is pretty awesome. My EM went on really, reallllly smooth, and looks great. My skin is still matte after an hour...we'll see how it does out for dinner, and drinks.

Just letting anyone who is interested in this stuff know...I wore it last night when I was out for dinner, and drinks with friends. By the time I went out for drinks, I was sure my skin was going to be an oil slick, and I would have to excuse myself and go blot. When I looked at myself, I was pleasently surprised. My skin was in no way oily. It was amazing. I got a few complements from friends saying how great my skin look, etc. By the end of the night, my skin was a LITTLE shiney..but in no way something I was embarrased about. I couldn't believe it. Usually a typical night like that, I would have blotted every 1/2 hour or so, and I did it once, at the end of the night. For anyone who is interested, try it.

Just letting anyone who is interested in this stuff know...I wore it last night when I was out for dinner, and drinks with friends. By the time I went out for drinks, I was sure my skin was going to be an oil slick, and I would have to excuse myself and go blot. When I looked at myself, I was pleasently surprised. My skin was in no way oily. It was amazing. I got a few complements from friends saying how great my skin look, etc. By the end of the night, my skin was a LITTLE shiney..but in no way something I was embarrased about. I couldn't believe it. Usually a typical night like that, I would have blotted every 1/2 hour or so, and I did it once, at the end of the night. For anyone who is interested, try it.

it's usually in the "girly products" section near the other Monistat products, but the Chafing Gel does NOT have anything to do with the yeast infection treatments, lol, eww gross, hahaha.

I'm seriously contemplating wrapping the tube in black tape or something to hide the (rather awkward) logo if/when I do try it...

why didn't i see this thread before?

ladies it's amazing, you should go out and get it now. so cheap and the best primer i've found!

I first bought it to use on my feet. It prevents soreness from friction from sandal straps or from wearing shoes without socks.

I first bought it to use on my feet. It prevents soreness from friction from sandal straps or from wearing shoes without socks.

damn - this is good info - i'll be using it whenever i wear strappy sandals or my vans!!! thanks!!!!!

I'm brand new to using primer, but I tried this today and I honestly can't see what all the hype is about. I still had my minerals caking in the wrinkles under my eye. I'm pretty sure I gave it long enough to dry (I was sitting in front of the air conditioner).

It's only been 30 minutes and already my face feels like an oil slick. I'll try it a few more times, but if this is what it's like then I don't want it. It sort of makes me afraid to try the expensive stuff, if they are similar to this.

Anybody else not really impressed with it?

Katy

I'm going to a wedding tomorrow and will be there a few hours and I want to try this but I'm scared I'll do something wrong and be forced to deal with icky makeup the rest of the night....If I use a moisturizer and foundation where do I fit in the chafing gel? between the moisturizer and foundation? and is it okay to put liquid foundation on it? or just the mineral foundation?

The primer should go after moisturizer and before foundation, yep. And it should work for most foundations - both powder and liquid. I recommend waiting at least 5 minutes for the primer to set before applying foundation. You'll be fine don't worry, just remember not to apply too much.. a little goes a long way.

I just tried a bit on my face today and i ran out of time so i had to put my sheer cover makeup on right after it. My makeup definately glided on smoother but my face was still oily : / tomorrow ill put it on and then wait 15 minutes to see if there is a difference.