Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pitymeplease

Dark Chocolate

I remember reading some favorable things regarding dark chocolate, what are your thoughts?

I went, and to my surprise, found some 75% cocoa Lindt chocolate bars at Wal-Mart for $2.88 and tried a couple pieces, and boy, after going for so long without eating junk food or sweets it was quite an exquisite treat! I felt in a better mood and it seemed like the frontal lobe of my brain was more active than normal (usually dormant).

I'm so glad your post was about something else like yummy chocolate. These ____= acne posts are driving me crazy. Yes, I've heard dark chocolate is better for you than milk varieties.

Cocoa is good for you. It has some of the highest concentrations of proanthocyanidins (heart healthy "flavanoid") of anything. Cacao beans put everything else to shame. When cocoa mass/butter is mixed into Milk Chocolate, the effect is lost (although you can drink a glass of milk with dark choc and it is still good for you). Added sugar causes alot of people problems. So, at least 70%+ is good for you, if you have no other reason for not tolerating it (sugar, etc). The higher the %, the better--but the harder to eat because it becomes very bitter.

Now, on to that "feeling". It acts in a similar way as cannabis--it binds to the same sites as THC. Yep! You might feel a little stoned if you eat a bunch of it. Not impairing or anything...but it does create a feeling of bliss or euphoria. It eat some every afternoon just about the time that the day has kicked my ass. I eat part of a big bar of dark chocolate and then "chill out" for a little while.

But remember! If you add it to your diet, be sure to count the calories and subtract that much from your daily diet so that you don't gain fat. Lets face it, obesity is the real health problem...and all the flavanoids in the world aren't worth it.

Now, on to that "feeling". It acts in a similar way as cannabis--it binds to the same sites as THC. Yep! You might feel a little stoned if you eat a bunch of it. Not impairing or anything...but it does create a feeling of bliss or euphoria. ....

Lets face it, obesity is the real health problem...and all the flavanoids in the world aren't worth it.

Does eating dark chocolate give you acne like milk chocolate does?

I would guess this is different for everyone. I thought I would break out if I ate chocolate (and I did!) but I have since learned it was the sugar. I was overloading my liver with HFCs and many other sugars. So I guess I would say eating chocolate, if its very dark may be OK in small amounts, just dont go nuts.

Chocolate is extremely hard to digest, is a stimulant that depresses the digestive system, and is slightly constipating. It is also highly processed; think of what it starts as (cocoa bean), what it ends as, and what it took to make that transformation happen. The whole flavonoid notion is a marketing scheme, blown up by the public's love of cocoa products (think red wine). While it is true that chocolates do have flavonoids, one can get so many more anti-oxidants elsewhere.

I'm not saying don't eat chocolate, but do think of chocolate as a cheat food. It really isn't particularly good to the body nor nutritious. As for the mind, however... ;-)

I would guess this is different for everyone. I thought I would break out if I ate chocolate (and I did!) but I have since learned it was the sugar. I was overloading my liver with HFCs and many other sugars. So I guess I would say eating chocolate, if its very dark may be OK in small amounts, just dont go nuts.

I remember reading some favorable things regarding dark chocolate, what are your thoughts?

I went, and to my surprise, found some 75% cocoa Lindt chocolate bars at Wal-Mart for $2.88 and tried a couple pieces, and boy, after going for so long without eating junk food or sweets it was quite an exquisite treat!

Any amount of refined sugar breaks me out, but dark chocolate certainly is less destructive than milk chocolate, owing to the absence of dairy and the reduced sugar.

Any amount of refined sugar breaks me out, but dark chocolate certainly is less destructive than milk chocolate, owing to the absence of dairy and the reduced sugar.

Chocolate has chemicals in it that are able to reverse the damage to arteries caused by smoking. The researchers were so impressed with how effective it was, they suggested that artery damage could mean we actually have a deficiency in this compound. The effect stopped when chocolate was removed from the participants' diets. Chocolate is also able to slow blood clotting like aspirin. I had a blood clotting test done, and the doctors couldn't figure out why my blood was clotting a bit slower than normal. I realized I'd eaten a bunch of chocolate that morning, lol.

I went, and to my surprise, found some 75% cocoa Lindt chocolate bars at Wal-Mart for $2.88 and tried a couple pieces, and boy, after going for so long without eating junk food or sweets it was quite an exquisite treat!

Chocolate, good. Sugar, bad. Try Ghiradelli's Bittersweet chocolate chips in the baking aisle. Very low sugar and a less expensive. It's my favorite.

Then, unless you are allergic, slice down the side of a banana and poke chocolate chips inside, then bake briefly. I use the toaster setting on my toaster oven. Or wrap in foil and put on a grill. This is actually a common camping thing, except with marshmallows too.

If you want to consume cocoa without sugar, why not just buy the powder and make for example mole? or hot chocolate without sugar (I use a banana and soy milk, it tastes great, I love to add some cinnamon and chile as well, and yes, I know, bananas contain sugar, but they do also contain vitamins and minerals. this is my favorite treat, it´s better than a chocolate bar) Mole is a mexican sauce that is usually contains chicken or pork, delicious.

it seemed like the frontal lobe of my brain was more active than normal (usually dormant).

How can you tell whether a part of your brain is more active than normal? :eh:

Damn! Can't say anything on these boards without being taken literally... not completely dormant but mostly inactive or to the point where you forget it's there. From my experience, if you are generally observant you can feel which parts of your brain are most active.

I read in a health book that eating Chocolate is good for acne. Yes, chocolate is good for acne. BUT, not just any chocolate it has to be 100% cocoa. So they sugggest Organic Chocolate you can buy at a health food store. It comes in either a powder form which is best to intake it making you hot chocolate or Bar form I find bar forms are easier to eat but expensive at the same time. If you cant find either try looking into dark chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa. The lindt one is an excellent example!

I'm trying to see if i ever crave for chocolate that it doesnt contain any sugar whatsoever!!

Personally I can't stand the taste of anything over 60% cocoa. It tastes too bitter.

I'd rather just splurge every once in a while on a Hershey's milk chocolate bar.

It's all about the amount you have, what the full list of ingredients are, and how well you tolerate/digest the ingedients. Dove dark chocolate is amazing and doesn't hurt me if I eat 1-3 pieces every now and then. Also, natural-foods stores sell organic dark chocolate, and that stuff is extremely good. I've never eaten a whole bar, but if I were to buy a bar myself, I would eat 1/3-1/2 of it and freeze the other half for later, or just freeze the whole bar and eat a piece off of it whenever I'm in need of that chocolate fix. I always drink an extra 2-4 purified water bottles (16.9oz each) when I eat stuff like that, it helps tremendously.

Dark chocolate is good for skin and overall health.

It is rich in antioxidants! and I don't know about this but dark chocolate (cocoa 70%+) is known to be an aphrodisiac - from what I've read, it increases one's heart rate thus making a person a little bit more excited so to speak. I dunno, but won't that mean blood circulation would be better? If yes, then that's a good thing! But make sure it's not milk chocolate but real organic dark chocolate. I personally love dark chocolate. the bitter ones! 60%+

I can't stand milk chocolate. :)