Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
didi78

Duac and Differin for my adult acne

I'd love to see a picture of your red marks. I bet they aren't NEARLY as bad as you think they are.

Your regimen looks great! Good luck with the oil issue. Have you ever tried a special product for controlling oily skin? Something like this:

https://www.arbonne.com/products/not-so-bas...ersonalizer.asp

or this

http://www.qvc.com/scripts/detail.dll?item=a53804

I have very dry skin, so I don't use such things, but I always see them in stores. Just wondering if people get any success from them.

Hi Merf!

Thanks for always checking in with me, I really appreciate your comments and support. You're probably right that I (and most everyone) probably magnify the little imperfections on our skin and just feel terrible about them. Most of my scars on concentrated on the left portion of my chin, where the cysts sprang up during my 4-5th week. I can still feel one of the cysts under my skin....much smaller but still a hard thing underneath. I'll try to post a picture up later today.

I've never tried any of those oil control products that are out there. I think i would later on, when my skin is more stabilized. I am a little paranoid that any change in my regimen will result in a breakout. Like the time I added BHA/AHAs. My best friend swears by the La Mer toner for oily skin, she says it keeps her skin non oily all day (but hers really isn't as oily as mine). Its the one with the powder that separates. But seems way too expensive for me.

Anyways I'll try to post a picture today. :)

attached is a picture of my hyperpigmentation, all from past cysts. right now, not much active pimples going on, but still some small red bumps that come up, a few a week.

and yesterday, I thought I was getting a cyst so I was sorta freaking out. But I put tea tree oil on it and covered it with Desitin, and though I still feel a bump there right now, it isn't inflamed. :)

post-69437-1206835321_thumb.jpg

post-69437-1206835321_thumb.jpg

attached is a picture of my hyperpigmentation, all from past cysts. right now, not much active pimples going on, but still some small red bumps that come up, a few a week.

and yesterday, I thought I was getting a cyst so I was sorta freaking out. But I put tea tree oil on it and covered it with Desitin, and though I still feel a bump there right now, it isn't inflamed. :)

Yea, I HATE RED SPOTS! I have to cover them with concealer everyday or they just look like pimples. But when I do where concealer my face looks pretty flawless (not super flawless but pretty nice). Actually, if my red spots were gone, my face would be 99.9% clear. Right now, I only have two mini white-head pimples that are already drying and flaking off. sigh.....

Week 10:

So I thought I was getting another cyst on my chin, freaked out and immediately put tea tree and desitin on it, and it has turned into a very modest little white head. There is no deep, hard bump under the skin, just a small bump on the surface with a tiny white head. It's already almost falling off. I'm pretty grateful about that. Still not sure if it's differin that's finally kicking in, or is it the zinc supplements, desitin, and tea tree oil; or maybe it's a combination of everything....but I haven't had a true cyst in a month.

I just got my period today, so maybe this wanna-be-cyst is from my hormones going crazy. I also have another small (pretty tiny) whitehead on the other side of my chin, but it came to head and fell off already, leaving a little reddened section on my skin (that will hopefully go away soon).

I do believe that the differin probably have changed the structure/size/shape of my pores under the skin, making it harder for my skin to actually get a cyst.

Still dealing with the hyperpigmentation, which is the worst thing at this point. Otherwise, 99% clear.

Middle of Week 10:

My skin continues to improve, though I feel very superstitious saying it...afraid I'll jinx myself and develop a giant cyst. Generally, my entire complexion looks smoother with a slight glow overall, especially around my cheeks and forehead. My cheeks sorta look rosier without having any blush on. My chin still has hyperpigmentation, but I think they are just getting a tad bit lighter (still very much there though) so it's more bearable to look when I don't have concealer on to cover them. Some mild peeling on my chin, but I think it's from me using a tad more differin than I usually do.

I am STILL getting small red bumps, several a week, and they are annoying me. Most of them are on my chin and most go away rather quickly. And they seem more "superficial" rather than deep cysts, so no noticeable bump under the skin, all on the surface. But it's like everyday, I wake up with one or two new small bumps. Shouldn't this be stopping at this point in my treatment? Well, 2 more weeks until week 12, so hopefully these small bumps will gradually stop appearing. They scare me though because I feel like my skin is still not in control.

Another thing I'm concerned about is the possibility of developing spider veins from thinning my skin using differin. I have small pockets of spider veins on one side of my nose and on one side of my cheek, so I think I'll apply less differin on those areas.

Yet another day in Week 10:

So I have another cluster of tiny bumps on my chin (around 3 or 4), 2 on my left cheek, and 1 on my forehead. They all start out slightly inflammed but very small, and then end up drying up and then I can literally just pick them off or they fall off. The entire life cycle of these bumps are like 2-3 days. Sometimes they leave little red marks, but they go away rather quickly compared to the red marks I have from my cysts (which are still very clearly there). WHY AM I STILL GETTING THESE? The positive side is that they are not cysts! But still!

They are tolerable but frustrating. I hope these are the "last" of my pimples.

Week 6:

So my cysts have died down but they have left dark red/brown marks. I found that taking zinc supplements (50 mg of chelated zinc gluconate) internally, and applying zinc oxide 40% (Desitin for diaper rash) externally on my cysts really helped them heal and shrink in size. Basically, I applied Desitin on my "inevitable cyst" that was coming out on my chin and then covered it with a small round bandaid. I did that every night for a few days and the cyst just never grew into the usual big size. It was probably 50% smaller than the other cysts that I had and it never hurt like they usually do. I can't tell if it's the Desitin or the zinc supplements that helped with the inflammation, but I think it's a combination of both. Now, that cyst is still there, but it's just a brown bump, way better than my other scary cysts.

I also read on this forum that BP can cause red marks and prevent them from healing properly. I noticed that when I look at my face, the imperfections that I see aren't active pimples/cysts, rather, they are just hyperpigmentation from old pimples/cysts during my initial breakout. So I made a decision to stop using duac, which is 5% BP. Basically, right now, the worst thing about my skin are the red/brown marks. I can't wait for them to go away so I can stop using concealer!!!

So I changed up my regimen a bit. I decided to replace duac with a more natural bacteria killing agent: tea tree oil! Though tea tree doesn't have the antibiotic component that duac has, I think I want to give my red marks a better chance to heal. Also, I think the zinc supplement is helping with inflammation, so I'm not too nervous about losing the antibiotic in duac. I am also including an AHA to help with the red marks. Previously, I wanted to re-introduce my favorite AHA product which is Alpha Hydrox Souffle; however, I think that may be too harsh with differin and would really complicate my regimen. So I'm going to start using my favorite AHA peel, which is the MyChelle Incredible Pumpkin Peel.

My new regimen:

AM

1. Wash face with origins checks and balances face wash.

2. Use a q-tip and dip into tea tree oil. Dillute the tea tree oil on the q-tip with water. Then apply to my problem areas. TINGLY!

3. Wait to dry, then apply Complex moisturizer

4. Apply shiseido sunscreen (I've been using this brand for 10 years).

Noon

1. After a full lunch, 50 mg of zinc gluconate.

PM

1. Wash face.

2. Apply MyChelle Incredible Pumpkin Peel (a few times a week) for 5 minutes.

3. Apply differin to face (I also started to put it on my neck because it looks older than my face).

4. After 20 minutes, moisturize with Complex.

I've only done this new regimen for 2 days, and so far so good. No new pimples, still the same old cyst scars, but I have noticed that the red/brown marks look a bit lighter, which I believe is due to my pumpkin peel. Wish me luck!

Hi Kkriisttyy,

Hmmm, I guess it's a possibility that my little red bumps are a result of not using duac, but I didn't use a significant amoutn of duac to begin with, so I'm not really sure. I have two new small red bumps on the right side of my cheek, but they will probably go away in a day or two. Thanks for recommending that toner....I actually haven't used a toner since high school and haven't had any problems. I really love my Complex 15 lotion! And i have used Clinique's Moisture Surge on-and-off, which is really a lovely gel.

I bought my pumpkin mask at Wholefoods, but you can find it on Amazon for a pretty good price! I really like it!

Good luck to you too!

Week 6:

So my cysts have died down but they have left dark red/brown marks. I found that taking zinc supplements (50 mg of chelated zinc gluconate) internally, and applying zinc oxide 40% (Desitin for diaper rash) externally on my cysts really helped them heal and shrink in size. Basically, I applied Desitin on my "inevitable cyst" that was coming out on my chin and then covered it with a small round bandaid. I did that every night for a few days and the cyst just never grew into the usual big size. It was probably 50% smaller than the other cysts that I had and it never hurt like they usually do. I can't tell if it's the Desitin or the zinc supplements that helped with the inflammation, but I think it's a combination of both. Now, that cyst is still there, but it's just a brown bump, way better than my other scary cysts.

I also read on this forum that BP can cause red marks and prevent them from healing properly. I noticed that when I look at my face, the imperfections that I see aren't active pimples/cysts, rather, they are just hyperpigmentation from old pimples/cysts during my initial breakout. So I made a decision to stop using duac, which is 5% BP. Basically, right now, the worst thing about my skin are the red/brown marks. I can't wait for them to go away so I can stop using concealer!!!

So I changed up my regimen a bit. I decided to replace duac with a more natural bacteria killing agent: tea tree oil! Though tea tree doesn't have the antibiotic component that duac has, I think I want to give my red marks a better chance to heal. Also, I think the zinc supplement is helping with inflammation, so I'm not too nervous about losing the antibiotic in duac. I am also including an AHA to help with the red marks. Previously, I wanted to re-introduce my favorite AHA product which is Alpha Hydrox Souffle; however, I think that may be too harsh with differin and would really complicate my regimen. So I'm going to start using my favorite AHA peel, which is the MyChelle Incredible Pumpkin Peel.

My new regimen:

AM

1. Wash face with origins checks and balances face wash.

2. Use a q-tip and dip into tea tree oil. Dillute the tea tree oil on the q-tip with water. Then apply to my problem areas. TINGLY!

3. Wait to dry, then apply Complex moisturizer

4. Apply shiseido sunscreen (I've been using this brand for 10 years).

Noon

1. After a full lunch, 50 mg of zinc gluconate.

PM

1. Wash face.

2. Apply MyChelle Incredible Pumpkin Peel (a few times a week) for 5 minutes.

3. Apply differin to face (I also started to put it on my neck because it looks older than my face).

4. After 20 minutes, moisturize with Complex.

I've only done this new regimen for 2 days, and so far so good. No new pimples, still the same old cyst scars, but I have noticed that the red/brown marks look a bit lighter, which I believe is due to my pumpkin peel. Wish me luck!

I use checks and balances also, and I have to tell you that <i>even</i> that cleanser has helped me battle the acne. You should remember to use a toner, Origins' cleansers are not PH balanced. I use United State, it works well in combo to Checks and Balances.

As far as stopping Duac and replacing it with Tea Tree, I did the same with negative results after 2-3 weeks. I went back the Duac and only use the Tea Tree to spot treat as needed. Ive been doing that for 4 months now and the dry, itchiness has gone away and I see improvement.

Lastly, where do you get the Pumpkin peel? It sounds so nice!

Luck to you :o)

Week 11:

Yay, it's Week 11! Which means 1 more week before Week 12, THE week that Differin is supposed to have taken full effect. Yesterday, my soon to be mother-in-law commented that my skin looks "whiter"...I think what she meant is that it looks smoother than before. So, so far, Differin has treated my overall complexion pretty well. HOWEVER, I still have the hyperpigmentation from the cysts that I got in Week 4, and I also still have small red pimples, several a week. The ones on my chin dried up, but I picked them off too soon (why must I do such things?) and now they are a little raw and scabby. I'm going to leave it alone for this week and hopefully they will heal and fall off by themselves soon, to reveal beautiful skin underneath!

One strange thing is that I have a cyst that never really went away, meaning that I could feel a big hard bump underneath the surface. Well anyways, now I think that cyst is coming back. I felt some slight tenderness this past week, and now it kinda looks like two small pimples (so i can see the "head" from certain angles), not really inflammed at all, maybe just a tad bit. Maybe the Differin is making the cyst come to the surface. This week is my ovulation week, so I'm prepared with my bottle of Aleve.

Week 12! FINALLY! Week 12!

Am I happy with the results so far? well....mixed feelings. This past week was my ovulation week, and again, no cysts for the 2nd month in a roll, which is pretty amazing. It's quite liberating to not have cysts yet again. HOWEVER, as of now, I have several small red pimples all over my face. Two on my chin, a few on my left and right cheeks. nothing big or scary, but still a nuisance given how long I've been on my regimen. I don't think I have unrealistic expectations or anything. I mean, I've been on my regimen a good solid 12 weeks, which is supposed to be the amount of time differin starts working. It has been working, granted, but still getting more small red bumps EVERYDAY. I think I am actually getting MORE pimples than I used to before I started using Differin, but it's DIFFERENT type of pimples (before cysts, now no more cysts but smaller pimples). Not sure how to handle to this.

I do feel more confident without makeup. Still have many many dark, hyperpigmentation scars from previous cysts and smaller pimples, but overall, they are a tad bit lighter than before. Also it's helps that I'm not getting new scars from new cysts.

Still...not perfect. not even close to perfect. Somewhat discouraging. :confused::(

a day after Week 12:

Whoa! Spoke too soon because I woke up with a semi-cyst on my chin, but definitely not even close to how painful and large they used to be. Right on my ovulation day too! (should have taken that Aleve last night, but got lazy. boo).

I immediately took a zinc supplment and an Aleve, and I put some duac on it. So far so good. It doesn't seem to be that inflammed, no pain. Hopefully it will go away soon. But boy was I scared! Maybe my pores are just too small now underneath the surface (due to Differin use) that I can't physically get a cyst like the ones I used to get. :)

Week 11:

Yay, it's Week 11! Which means 1 more week before Week 12, THE week that Differin is supposed to have taken full effect. Yesterday, my soon to be mother-in-law commented that my skin looks "whiter"...I think what she meant is that it looks smoother than before. So, so far, Differin has treated my overall complexion pretty well. HOWEVER, I still have the hyperpigmentation from the cysts that I got in Week 4, and I also still have small red pimples, several a week. The ones on my chin dried up, but I picked them off too soon (why must I do such things?) and now they are a little raw and scabby. I'm going to leave it alone for this week and hopefully they will heal and fall off by themselves soon, to reveal beautiful skin underneath!

One strange thing is that I have a cyst that never really went away, meaning that I could feel a big hard bump underneath the surface. Well anyways, now I think that cyst is coming back. I felt some slight tenderness this past week, and now it kinda looks like two small pimples (so i can see the "head" from certain angles), not really inflammed at all, maybe just a tad bit. Maybe the Differin is making the cyst come to the surface. This week is my ovulation week, so I'm prepared with my bottle of Aleve.

Hmmmmm. I guess you can say Differin has encouraged different types of pimples to pop up. I'm feeling pretty discouraged right now. Especially because I HAVE A CYST on my chin! It has become a full-blown cyst, maybe slightly smaller than my previous cysts, but a cyst nonetheless. I guess that's what I get for getting lazy and neglecting to take my Aleve on my ovulation day (but I took it 2 times a day for the 3 days prior to ovulation, so what gives?). I feel deeply disappointed and disillusioned. I thought my cyst days were over. I thought my pores are "smaller" now after using Differin which means it would be impossible to get a cyst. But I guess I thought wrong!!!

I'm going to give it another month before I give up and call my condescending dermatologist. But feeling pretty down and hopeless.

Week 13:

Still suffering through the one cyst I got last week. It really depresses me because i feel like I'm back at square one, after suffering through a bad cystic-initial breakout that left numerous scars. I'm back where I used to be, but worse because of the scars.

I'm going to give it another month before I try something else.

Week 13:

Still suffering through the one cyst I got last week. It really depresses me because i feel like I'm back at square one, after suffering through a bad cystic-initial breakout that left numerous scars. I'm back where I used to be, but worse because of the scars.

I'm going to give it another month before I try something else.

Hi Merf! Great hearing from you again. To answer your question..yes and no. Before I started my regimen, I used to get about 1 large cyst a month, on my ovulation week. After I started my regimen, I got about 5 cysts during the 4th week (initial breakout), and since then i haven't had any cysts until last week. So that's why I feel like I'm back to square one. Because this is where I was before i started.

The one that I have now is pretty typical to most of my cysts, so it's pretty big, purple, and is not even close to going away and I've had it for over a week now. :(

I only hope my pores are smaller now, but after getting this cyst, it seems that they are still capable of getting stretched out.

Almost Week 14:

Well, it's been a stormy week. The large cyst I got last week is still quite large, it may have shrunk by 25%, but still mostly there, and it's pretty dark purple. I also have a cluster of inflammed pimples, larger than usual, on my chin, that have become whiteheads. Some of them have fallen off but left hyperpigmentation. IS THIS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN AFTER MORE THAN 3 MONTHS OF DIFFERIN?! :exclaim::cry::confused::think:

Week 15:

My cyst is still there, but after ripening for 2 weeks, it sorta burst open the other day when I was washing my face and oozed out yellow pus and dark blood. I very very very gently pushed it with a q-tip and let it drain out. Now, there's a big piece of dead skin on the surface, which may fall off soon. I hope there's healthy, unscarred skin under that, but who am I kidding. I think I'm sounding bitter.

I am still getting a few pimples here and there, which is making me feel less and less hopeful. I have a pretty large inflammed pimple on my left cheek right now, which is rather unusual. I just hope to have unblemished skin by my wedding, which is in September. Going to give differin another two weeks, and will see if my skin gets better. I'm scared that i'll get another cyst in two weeks though. :(

So I'm trying something new. I'm using differin at night without moisturizer. I suspect that I am inadvertently diluting the differin so that it's not as potent. I've been doing this for two nights now, and so far, no side effects (not even a little peeling), so I think my skin will probably be able to tolerate this pretty well given I have used differin for over 3 months now. I have noticed that the little pimples I get dry out a lot faster. I had one on the tip of my nose that would normally stay for 2-3 days, but it almost went away overnight with the undiluted differin application. :) Hope?

After the cyst on my chin oozed, it is now flat but it is bright red and crusty. It looks like an open wound now. Not sure what happened to it. So I'm going to put neurosporin and desitin on it for a few nights.

Almost Week 16

So almost 4 months on differin and still not sure what to think. So I've been using it at night WITHOUT moisturizer for the past week or so now, with no peeling or other side effects, and I think it's just what my skin needed. I think my skin needed it to be stronger. My skin looks clearer overall (in terms of pore size and smoothness), but I still have that healing cyst on my chin, and that weird large bump (I guess it's a cyst) on my cheek that's not going away. And some smaller red bumps on my chin. This week is also ovulation week, so I'll be taking some Aleve. Hopefully that's prevent another cyst. I just hope that the "stronger" differin will help.

I don't think I can stop now. Even though I told myself a month ago that I'll give it another month. I can totally see this going on and on and on.

Past Week 16:

Another cyst on ovulation day. The previous cyst left an indented scar. And the one on my cheek is still there. I am so sad. Zinc and Aleve aren't working anymore.

Past Week 16:

Another cyst on ovulation day. The previous cyst left an indented scar. And the one on my cheek is still there. I am so sad. Zinc and Aleve aren't working anymore.

Hey didi, I'm on roughly week 17 of retin a micro and am getting VERY discouraged. After this long, shouldn't this crap be working by now?