Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cidiv

So i came across this recipe on a website and

SO i came across a website and saw a recipe on it (wasnt looking for recipes, it was on the damn site lol) and now I want to eat that food. What are the odds of me breaking out (the worst acne ive ever had was mild and at ths present time i only get around 5-6 whiteheads a week and 3/4 of those whiteheads reoccur in the same place). Anyway teh recipe is for vegetable spring rolls. Is it likely to break me out or? I eat brown pasta/rice and i have found that it doesn't cause me any problems. I eat a reletively healthy diet - no more chocolate, havent had fast food for a good 5 months or so, and eat about 8 different fruits/veges a day. Here is the recipe.

Makes

Ingredients

* 100g packet vermicelli noodles

* 1 tablespoon peanut oil

* 3 green onions, sliced

* 2 garlic cloves, crushed

* 1 large carrot, peeled, coarsely grated

* 1 1/2 cups shredded Chinese cabbage

* 227g can water chestnuts, drained, roughly chopped

* 1 tablespoon soy sauce

* 1/4 teaspoon white pepper

* 2 teaspoons cornflour

* 20 frozen spring roll wrappers (21.5cm square), thawed

* vegetable oil, for frying

* sweet chilli sauce, to serve

Method

1. Preheat oven to 150°C. Place noodles in a large, heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand for 5 minutes or until soft. Drain. Using scissors, cut noodles into 3cm lengths.

2. Heat a wok over high heat until hot. Add peanut oil. Swirl to coat. Add onion, garlic, carrot and cabbage. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until soft. Add noodles, water chestnuts, soy and pepper. Transfer to a bowl. Set aside to cool. Wipe wok clean.

3. Combine cornflour with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Place 1 wrapper on a board with a corner pointing towards you. Brush edges with cornflour mixture (keep remaining wrappers covered with damp tea towel). Spoon 1 tablespoon vegetable mixture into corner of wrapper. Fold corner over filling then roll up from corner to corner, folding edges in to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining wrappers, cornflour mixture and filling.

4. Pour vegetable oil into wok until one-third full. Heat until a small piece of bread dropped into oil sizzles. Cook spring rolls, in batches, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Remove to a wire rack over a baking tray. Keep warm in oven while cooking remaining spring rolls. Allow oil to reheat after cooking each batch. Serve hot with sweet chilli sauce.

I'd say go for it! It actually sounds pretty good and not unhealthy at all. I would just ditch the peanut oil and use olive oil instead of vegetable oil.

If I was making that recipe, here's what I would replace:

*replace vermicelli noodles with either japanese buckwheat soba noodles or rice noodles

*replace peanut oil with sesame oil

*replace soy sauce with a low-sodium tamari wheat-free sauce or Bragg's Liquid Aminos (this stuff is fantastic. It has 1/8 the amount of sodium as soy sauce, tastes exactly the same)

*replace the vegetable oil with olive oil

*I'm sure the sweet chili sauce is loaded with sugar and sodium, so I would make my own "dipping sauce" using jalapeno peppers, garlic, and low sodium vegetable broth

If I was making that recipe, here's what I would replace:

*replace vermicelli noodles with either japanese buckwheat soba noodles or rice noodles

*replace soy sauce with a low-sodium tamari wheat-free sauce or Bragg's Liquid Aminos (this stuff is fantastic. It has 1/8 the amount of sodium as soy sauce, tastes exactly the same)

*I'm sure the sweet chili sauce is loaded with sugar and sodium, so I would make my own "dipping sauce" using jalapeno peppers, garlic, and low sodium vegetable broth

Vietnamese or Thai vermicelli are rice noodles.

And don't fry in olive oil. Olive oil is not for high heat cooking.

"vermicelli" is angel hair pasta. You usually see the term vermicelli used on regular white pasta.

I disagree with the olive oil. I use it for high heat cooking all the time. Another option would be using grapeseed oil.

"vermicelli" is angel hair pasta. You usually see the term vermicelli used on regular white pasta.

Not when you are talking about Asian food. It's a thin rice noodle that is cooked by pouring hot water over it as mentioned in the above recipe.

And grape seed oil is a much better option. You'll see it sold a lot in Asian markets.

Different topic entirely, but Alternativista, I notice you make homemade yogurt in your signature. Like you, I avoid dairy, but would like to incorporate yogurt back into my diet. I hate the taste and texture of soy products, so that's out. How do you make your homemade yogurt?

Peanut oil might lead to a break out and soy sauce according to my friend Kim (willow569) is high in iodine content which also is a main trigger for people who are acne prone

Ok so should this do the trick if i were to amke this.

*I'm sure the sweet chili sauce is loaded with sugar and sodium, so I would make my own "dipping sauce" using jalapeno peppers, garlic, and low sodium vegetable broth. <<-- any other alternatives for source. Would tomato sauce be ok (might try to see wht it tastes with that)?

Different topic entirely, but Alternativista, I notice you make homemade yogurt in your signature. Like you, I avoid dairy, but would like to incorporate yogurt back into my diet. I hate the taste and texture of soy products, so that's out. How do you make your homemade yogurt?

You just put a container of milk with a few spoonfuls of yogurt with live cultures in a warm place for 12- 24 hours. I use organic milk 2% or whole, plain old dannon, but I add the contents of a probiotic with multiple flora. I make it in a quart canning jar which I wrap in a heating pad set medium high.

Most instruction will say to cook the milk first to destroy any bacteria that would interfere with the yogurt, but you don't have cook pasteurized milk. Not if it's fresh anyway.

*I'm sure the sweet chili sauce is loaded with sugar and sodium, so I would make my own "dipping sauce" using jalapeno peppers, garlic, and low sodium vegetable broth. <<-- any other alternatives for source. Would tomato sauce be ok (might try to see wht it tastes with that)?

Olive oil is not for high heat cooking. If you insist on using it, it should at least not be virgin olive oil. It should be the cheaper refined oil. The smoking point is higher for that.

Also, you have to read the label of the sauce. Sometimes things are called sweet because they aren't spicy.

Also, if I were you, I'd just make the filling and use it for lettuce wraps. Forget the frying. Also, Romaine lettuce is a highly nutritious green, which surprised me. I didn't know any lettuce had that much nutrition. And Boston lettuce makes nice small cups for wraps.

And to HBC:

I've never heard of yogurt being made in non-dairy milk. Not home made anyway. I don't know that the cultures will grow in it. What they sell in the stores might not really be yogurt. The buttermilk in stores isn't buttermilk. It's a cultured thing similar to kefir. I've heard of people making kefir in other things though. Like coconut. I tried making kefir once and it didn't work.