Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scorpiotwin

Unprofessional dermatologist

I have visited my dermatologist 3 times in a year. Each time he spends less than 5 minutes in the room with me and only renews my minocycline. The past visit, I had a bad breakout (cysts) and was almost in tears. I asked him what was causing this. He said hormones, got up and left the room to give my chart to the front desk, as I was asking if there was anything that could be done about my hormones, what kind of moisturizer to use, etc. Is this normal behavior for a dermatologist? Shouldn't I get more advice than "here's your prescription" The pharmacist told me that minocycline was actually working against clearing up the acne cysts. A cosmetic surgeon that I visited to help with the scarring gave me Cipro to clear them up last year.

I was wondering what I would expect from a doctor visit if I had a PROFESSIONAL dermatologist and do I have a right to complain?

i suggest u to find another derm. yes u have the right to complain, but im afraid by complaining him it wont make your acne go away from u. dont waste time, safe your energy, and find another professional derm.

good luck! :D

what am a$$hole!!! :D kick him to the curb,that's what i did to my rude dermatologist.Hit 'em where it hurts.....IN THE WALLET!!!!!! :lol:

Let me tell you a story. (hey, it will be short!)

For yrs I used to go to this dermatologist who wouldn't give me Accutane, even though I had cystic acne that responded poorly to all the other meds he tried. He said my acne wasn't bad enough to merit Accutane. (yeah, how would he like to wear my face for a day!) Anyway, I'd go to him almost every 2 wks for injections into the cysts. This was the only thing that helped. This went on for a few yrs, and he would always turn down my request for Accutane. Then, because he was an instructor at UCLA Med school, it becane very hard to book an appointment with him - he was too busy. So, I made an appointment with another derm in his office.

This other derm takes one look at me and asks would I like to try Accutane. Would I! No sh*t! So I used Accutane and it made a great improvement. What's my point? If you're not getting the help and result from one derm, by all means try another. I wish I had yrs eariler.

I would most definitely change derms. A good one takes the time to talk with you about your current routine and possibilities for the future. My first derm did the same thing - and was truely ineffective. A good physician treats the patient, not just the ailment.

If this geezer thinks your acne is hormonal, then you shouldn't be prescribed with antibiotics. Check out this site for hormone advice - it's brilliant!

http://www.hormonehelpny.com

PS. Definitely go see another derm, or if you can, avoid all of them!!

I was not impressed with mine either. He saw me in less than 10 minutes. I did not know much about it so I was not sure what to ask. I was given the prescription and told me to come back 6 weeks. I did. He asked how I liked my face. He started to prescribe oral antibiotic and I said no! I told him to give me another topical gel. He did and told me to come back in 6 weeks. I have not. I changed PCP back in Dec. I was happy with her because she actually asked me if I would like her to to look at anything else. I told her about my acne and she offered suggestions. She gave me Yasmin. If your acne is hormonal like mine, shouldn't you be taking something to regulate your hormones? Nowaday looking for a good doc/dentist/derm is like looking for a needle in a haystack! :roll: Keep searching until you find one that will listen. I know it is frustrating because if you are like me, you are expecting to see results and hate to waste time and money fishing!

:D My experience, as a gal of 23, with derms has been dismal. I have gone to 4 different ones over the past 6 years or more. The two men derms were better than the two women, who seemed to have real attitudes. But the men were not much better, gave me little time and help.

First, I have heard that if your acne is hormonal, it usually shows on your chin. Is that where you have it? Now you can acne around your monthly cycle, but if you have it other places on your face other times, it is not hormonal. Then to have your hormones checked - I asked an ob/gyn dr. last fall to just have the hormone blood test, which she did not happily and then only did one hormone test instead of on all the hormones. Wanted me to try b.c. pills which I will not, and am glad I did not.

This is what helped me after searching and searching - found info on this website about niacinimide (a compound cream from a B vitamin) and grapefruit seed pills, also how much Vitamin A to take, etc. But the main thing that has really helped it is going to a naturopathic clinic (less expensive than a naturopath, but if you don't have one like Seattle does (a clinic), consider a naturopath. I tell all the supplements that I took on My Regimen Results under Newcastlegirl that helped me. I had really bad cystic acne on my cheeks and it got worse after I took the homeopathic medicine my naturopathic prescribed to me, really awful, but then my skin got less oily and dried up and now all I have is red marks! And get this - the first visit I had with the naturopath at Bastyr Clinic was 2 hours and it cost me $88! Try getting a derm to see you for that long for that price! Now I go in about once a month and the follow-up visits are a whopping $33! They look at you as a whole person, not just a fleeting glance at your skin and saying things like "hormones and antibiotics." By the way, I tried the topical and oral antibiotic route and they did not work! Gave minocycline a good try twice and no results, just stomach aches at first!

Hope that helps, Karen

If you have cystic acne, thats more than enough to merit accutane, I don't even have cystic acne, and my derm put me on accutane, but before they DO put you on accutane you do have to go on either antibiotics(male) or a combination of b/c pills and antibiotics and continue the b/c pills(female).